Jewel of the Seas

JCG17

We are due to board Jewel on 17 Feb. Concerned firstly about the itinerary changes which we have accepted due to the unrest in the middle east and now the coronavirus which we are not so comfortable with.  Just seen pictures of a shopping mall in Dubai which is practically deserted! Any comments?  We have been trying to upgrade our inside cabin to a balcony cabin. We paid £1300, balcony cabins are now selling for  £1200. We have been quoted £500 to upgrade which is ridiculous given there are alot not sold. Anyone can give advice would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

What is the cost when you do Royal UP ? 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en/booked/cruise-room-upgrade

There is a huge thread a couple of posts down “anyone current on Jewel”.  
Doha is fascinating and far nicer than Bahrain. 

Edited by little britain

Cheapest is £340 but we won't find out until 2 days before we go. As we will have departed for our pre cruise holiday by then feel it's too late to see if we've been successful. Thanks for replying.

We are on the same cruise now, switched to it on Friday. We were supposed to be on Quantum from Singapore but that seemed too risky, not worried about this at all in comparison. I don't think Dubai is much more dangerous than here  (hope these won't be famous last words😮).

Can't offer any advice re upgrades, we booked a balcony guarantee which hasn't been assigned yet.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:57 AM, scottie99 said:

I am OP on other thread re Jewel. Coming off ship tomorrow. 

We were originally concerned about safety but these were not justified. 

Any specific questions, ask away.

I'm on the Feb 24th sailing.

Was there free lobster in the dining room?

What movies were shown at the pool Big Screen?

Any comedy shows?

Any theme nights, White NIGHT, etc.?

Did you go to Sir Bani ISLAND, how was the lunch? What did they serve? Was the water warm?

Any helpful dos and donts?

Thanks in advance

On 2/9/2020 at 5:01 AM, JCG17 said:

We are due to board Jewel on 17 Feb. Concerned firstly about the itinerary changes which we have accepted due to the unrest in the middle east and now the coronavirus which we are not so comfortable with.  Just seen pictures of a shopping mall in Dubai which is practically deserted! Any comments?  We have been trying to upgrade our inside cabin to a balcony cabin. We paid £1300, balcony cabins are now selling for  £1200. We have been quoted £500 to upgrade which is ridiculous given there are alot not sold. Anyone can give advice would be much appreciated.

We had an Guaranteed Balcony for our Feb 24 sailing.

Two weeks ago we were assigned our Balcony in the lowest category on Deck 7.  Ok, no problem.

Like you said, prices dropped to really low rates.   I saw Cat 4B, Larger Balcony Cabin less than what we payed.

Called our RCCL Planner, he said sorry, no more 4B available.  It would cost us more to upgrade to the Superior Balcony Cabin, Cat 1B.  I said thanks for checking.

Last week I checked a Website I can't mention on here, where you can see what cabins are open.

When I checked all these 4B cabins were showing available.  I called him immediately and he put us on the 11th Deck, no charge.  It was cheaper than what we paid.

I would keep calling, ask for a Balcony Guarantee, my coworker was in an inside, he was able to book the Balcony Guarantee because the price dropped considerably, you never know what cabins will open up.

Edited by Cruzinbabe06

On 2/12/2020 at 1:38 AM, Cruzinbabe06 said:

I'm on the Feb 24th sailing.

Was there free lobster in the dining room?

What movies were shown at the pool Big Screen?

Any comedy shows?

Any theme nights, White NIGHT, etc.?

Did you go to Sir Bani ISLAND, how was the lunch? What did they serve? Was the water warm?

Any helpful dos and donts?

Thanks in advance

There is a very informative site if you look with a different Face... “Jewel Dubai all you need to know”....

Yes lobster tails on 2nd formal night. 
Movies Lion King, Gemini Man, Shazam, Downton Abbey, Malifucent, Fast and Furious Hobbs and Shaw, 

SBY buffet from ship, burgers and stuff, water ok but nasty coarse sand and very rocky in water. Bring water shoes. 

Edited by little britain

5 hours ago, little britain said:

There is a very informative site if you look with a different Face... “Jewel Dubai all you need to know”....

Movies Lion King, Gemini Man, Shazam, Downton Abbey, Malifucent, Fast and Furious Hobbs and Shaw, 

SBY buffet from ship, burgers and stuff, water ok but nasty coarse sand and very rocky in water. Bring water shoes. 

Thank you 

I'm going to search for that sight.

Great movies!

I haven't seen any of them.

So excited!

On 2/12/2020 at 1:52 AM, Cruzinbabe06 said:

We had an Guaranteed Balcony for our Feb 24 sailing.

Two weeks ago we were assigned our Balcony in the lowest category on Deck 7.  Ok, no problem.

Like you said, prices dropped to really low rates.   I saw Cat 4B, Larger Balcony Cabin less than what we payed.

Called our RCCL Planner, he said sorry, no more 4B available.  It would cost us more to upgrade to the Superior Balcony Cabin, Cat 1B.  I said thanks for checking.

Last week I checked a Website I can't mention on here, where you can see what cabins are open.

When I checked all these 4B cabins were showing available.  I called him immediately and he put us on the 11th Deck, no charge.  It was cheaper than what we paid.

I would keep calling, ask for a Balcony Guarantee, my coworker was in an inside, he was able to book the Balcony Guarantee because the price dropped considerably, you never know what cabins will open up.

Deck 7 is the only one that hasn't got an additional overhang, so it is easily the best floor to have a balcony

53 minutes ago, compman9 said:

Deck 7 is the only one that hasn't got an additional overhang, so it is easily the best floor to have a balcony

Does deck 7 have kettles yet?  We had to ask for one. 

Personally  I would avoid deck 7 because of the obstruction with the life boats below.  Deck  9 was much better, clear views and far bigger cabins too. 

Edited by little britain

2 hours ago, little britain said:

Does deck 7 have kettles yet?  We had to ask for one. 

Personally  I would avoid deck 7 because of the obstruction with the life boats below.  Deck  9 was much better, clear views and far bigger cabins too. 

I was on the hump so I couldn't see the lifeboats

Deck 9 has an overhang and I like the sun

No kettles - to be fair it's hard to see where they would go - the rooms are tiny

On 2/13/2020 at 9:08 AM, little britain said:

Are you saying that they took the buffet to the island?

Jazz