Cdn. Advice for Future Cruise Deposit Please

We cannot get a solid answer.  We've never made a future cruise deposit, but have decided to make our first.  On board we use our American dollar Visa.  We book cruises in Canadian currency.

Is it best to make the future deposit in USD when onboard to avoid conversion fees?  How would this translate when booking in Canadian currency later?

If made in CAD currency while on board, I assume Princess would convert this to US before adding to our card?

We just need the voice of experience please.  

With thanks to those with more financial wisdom,

Ruth

Bennybear, we're actually on board with our US Visa registered.  How did you manage to charge the future cruise deposit to on Canadian card without having finally bill put on it?  I could't get a straight answer at the front desk.

Thanks, proving we are clueless,

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That

1 hour ago, Been There, Planning That said:

Bennybear, we're actually on board with our US Visa registered.  How did you manage to charge the future cruise deposit to on Canadian card without having finally bill put on it?  I could't get a straight answer at the front desk.

Thanks, proving we are clueless,

Ruth

I am not an expert but both times I have bought future cruise deposits, it was not charged to my on board account.  I bought Australian dollar FCDs both times (one on an Australian cruise and once on a Baltic cruise) by ticking the AU box, and they were charged to my mastercard.  I wrote the card number on the form which I handed over to the future cruise staffer.   On my baltic cruise, it looks like they were charged in US dollars and exchanged into AU dollars  without my realising it, but I actually made 13 cents on the deal.  I have used my AU dollar FCDs to book cruises both here in Australia, in Japan, and in Europe through travel agents and the Australian Princess online system - it does not seem to matter that the cruise you are booking is not in Australia as long as the cruise cost itself is being charged in AU dollars. However, I have noticed that the OBC remains the same no matter the currency - eg I booked my Japan cruise here with my AU FCD, but the OBC is in USD and its exactly the same - as the AU dollar is currently only 67 US cents, I think that's actually a pretty good deal!

For what its worth, I use my Amex card to set up my shipboard account, but I always pay off the balance of my account before departing the ship with my Mastercard which does not charge foreign exchange fees.  I do the same thing with hotels.  That way I don't have to worry about the shadow charges eating up my available credit on the card I am actually using for my trip.

Edited by trinitygirl

1 hour ago, Been There, Planning That said:

We cannot get a solid answer.  We've never made a future cruise deposit, but have decided to make our first.  On board we use our American dollar Visa.  We book cruises in Canadian currency.

Is it best to make the future deposit in USD when onboard to avoid conversion fees?  How would this translate when booking in Canadian currency later?

If made in CAD currency while on board, I assume Princess would convert this to US before adding to our card?

We just need the voice of experience please.  

With thanks to those with more financial wisdom,

Ruth

Canadian as well and have purchased many, many FCDs.  Purchase your FCDs onboard in Canadian dollars.   The option is on the form.  Your booked cruises will also be in $CAD.  You can use your FCDs when booking as a deposit or later before cruising to reduce payment.  Both will get you the appropriate OBC.

Edited by hobbyfarmer2
Extra
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Canadian as well and have purchased many, many FCDs.  Purchase your FCDs onboard in Canadian dollars.   The option is on the form.  Your booked cruises will also be in $CAD.  You can use your FCDs when booking as a deposit or later before cruising to reduce payment.  Both will get you the appropriate OBC.

Agreed.  When the exchange rate was more favorable, we would have some in both currencies so that I could take advantage of the best deal.  Now, we buy them in CAD dollars.  I go to the Desk to buy them in person with our CAD dollar card as they want to see the card, while my onboard account is connected to our US dollar card.  It may take a little time but I would rather that than the conversion with all of the "extra" charges involved in that.  

If you did end up with an FCD in USD you can book your next cruise in USD. Even though we are Canadian we often book in USD And pay with a USD credit card.

For our next cruise we actually got better pricing booking in USD. When we do our own conversion to Canadian dollars for payment it is less than what the Canadian dollar quote for the cruise was. 

we book direct with Princess and the first time we paid in USD was an accident because when the rep asked for the closest airport to start the booking, we gave an American airport (we live close to the border and the US airport is closer than a Canadian one) their system automatically switched to USD pricing. And as we were finalizing I clued into the currency and had them recheck in Canadian and it was much better to stick with the USD pricing. So now we price out both options. 

of course now we are just hoping for a better exchange rate!

Edited by Storm Monkey

1 minute ago, hokiefans said:

Agreed.  When the exchange rate was more favorable, we would have some in both currencies so that I could take advantage of the best deal.  Now, we buy them in CAD dollars.  I go to the Desk to buy them in person with our CAD dollar card as they want to see the card, while my onboard account is connected to our US dollar card.  It may take a little time but I would rather that than the conversion with all of the "extra" charges involved in that.  

If you buy your FCDs in $CAD, you will be charged in $CAD with no conversion charge.

• Like 1

Hey Been There Planning That,  

Go and sit with the Travel Planning person and have her charge the $100 per person to your Canadian Credit Card.  She will charge $100 CDN to the CDN credit card.  She will send you an email as well (I do not think they are doing actual letters anymore hard copy that is).  At least they did not do on the Sky in Dec and the Royal in Jan for us.  

Make sure she uses your Canadian card.  She may say (oh, I see your Account has a US credit card on file).  Say, yes, but hey here is my Cdn Card, put the $100 per person on it.  Make sure the form she gives you shows CDN ticked off.       We do this all the time.    Remember as well that you can purchase more than one credit for each person.  We always have four or five future cruise deposits in the "bank" per person so to speak so that we can book future cruises.  Should they get close to expiring, Princess will renew for you.    Also, when you book in the future, you will see that the OBC that you receive is in USD.  Works very well thank you.     Why Pay USD when you do not have to!!!! 

With respect to @Storm Monkey's comment's on making a currency decision, Princess periodically adjusts their set exchange rate depending on market moves for CAD-USD.  Right now the rate used is 1.30.  When accessing Princess.com in Canada, the Princess servers detect a Canadian IP address and present pricing in CAD.  It is the same pricing as you would see in the USA, except multiplied by 1.30.  It has been that for quite some some.  It is quite possible that USD is a better choice than CAD from time to time - and vice versa. 

For example, the CAD fell quite a bit after world oil prices recently dropped in wake of Coronavirus, so 1.30 is a pretty good deal (but not as good as a discount TA in USD). 

If you want to make a booking in USD, you need to call Princess, or have a cooperative TA (not sure if any Canadian-based TA's will book in USD).  Princess phone reps will book you in either currency. 

With respect to @hokiefans and @pink845 comments, it is not necessary to visit the Passenger Services Desk (PSD), nor wait to see the Future Cruise Consultant (who is often busy).  All you need to do is fill out the FCD form, tick the box for the preferred currency and then write in the credit card number you want the FCD's charged to.  They have a letter box and you can just drop the form in there and they will get to it.  You receive an email back when it is processed and the email will have a letter attached confirming the FCD.  You can login in to Princess.com and check your Captain's Circle account and you will see the FCD posted.  Also, if you are on a MedallionClass ship, you can order FCD's right from the App - no forms, no fuss.  That is how I did it last Nov on the Crown.  When we sailed on the Majestic from SYD to NZ last Feb, I filled out the form for USD FCD's and provided by USD Visa card on the form.  The Majestic was a AUD ship so I had my no-currency-upcharge CAD Visa on account and did not want USD FCD's charged to that one (although I could have).

Finally, if you do find you have purchased FCD's in the wrong currency and wish to make a booking in the other, you should be able to get a Princess sales rep to help you out as @bennybear pointed out, but it is a bit of a hassle.  As I recall from several years ago when I was in this situation (wanting to switch from CAD to USD), I had to have a booking in place needing a deposit and then they refunded the CAD ($100 x 2) and charged me in USD ($100 x 2), and then applied to the booking.  They won't change any just sitting in your Circle account AFAIK.

Just one thing.... I have switched to USD for several years now as I can book a much lower fare with a US-based discount TA that just doesn't exist in Canada (at least Ontario and AFAIK).  You might consider looking for that in future and forget about CAD altogether.

Happy sailing.  FCD's are a great feature from Princess.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

We never fill out the little old Future Cruise Deposit form on the ship and put in the little box because twice in the past even though we have CLEARLY MARKED CANADIAN CREDIT CARD AND EVEN THE NUMBER OF THE CANADIAN CREDIT CARD on our form, the Future Cruise Lady / Guy screw it up.  We book a time with the person. Clearly have her do her job right in front of us and now it works every time.  A lot of these people come from other countries and can barely speak English.  It is a hassle to deal with the mess after the fact.  When we are running low on cruise credits, we make it a point to book our few minutes with the Future Cruise lady / guy immediately upon boarding and alas it is done right every time.    

• Like 2

Mark Canadian funds. Your credit card is charged and does the conversion   It is not on your on-board account which is in US dollars. Believe me, it will save you a hassle and money when you go to book with a Canadian TA. 

20 hours ago, pink845 said:

We never fill out the little old Future Cruise Deposit form on the ship and put in the little box because twice in the past even though we have CLEARLY MARKED CANADIAN CREDIT CARD AND EVEN THE NUMBER OF THE CANADIAN CREDIT CARD on our form, the Future Cruise Lady / Guy screw it up.  We book a time with the person. Clearly have her do her job right in front of us and now it works every time.  A lot of these people come from other countries and can barely speak English.  It is a hassle to deal with the mess after the fact.  When we are running low on cruise credits, we make it a point to book our few minutes with the Future Cruise lady / guy immediately upon boarding and alas it is done right every time.    

Exactly.  This is why I go to the desk.  I have even included my CAD credit card info and they applied it instead to the shipboard account credit card.

2 hours ago, hokiefans said:

Exactly.  This is why I go to the desk.  I have even included my CAD credit card info and they applied it instead to the shipboard account credit card.

Cannot read this faint print.