Help...I'm confused about daily gratuities

Faye G

Hi there,

Booked my first MSC cruise today via a travel agent, so I don't have all the info through yet... 

I'm UK but sail from Durban South Africa in April 20.

I asked about gratuities and they say there was none but still talked about a daily charge added to room that can be removed (which I wouldn't do) as if she wasn't actually sure... so I'm confused.

Their website says:

SERVICE CHARGES / GRATUITIES
Service Charge / Gratuities are included in the cruise fare.

Tips
MSC Cruises does not recommend tipping individual members of staff.

So, I'm still unsure!

Are my grats included in the price I paid, or not.

When I google I see the grats are included for UK sailings or something but although we are from the UK we sail from SA....  or... do sailings for all countries now include grats in the price - I hope so but I'm so so confused... and googling is confusing me even more.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Faye

Edited by Faye G

The daily service charge inclusion on UK bookings has been in the works with MSC.  I'm not booking in UK some mention beginning in June, but I think they are now included in new bookings.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2673625-daily-service-charge-uk-bookings/?tab=comments#comment-57745971

Edited by Até
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, emmas gran said:

If I can chip in here DSC (daily service charge ) are the gratuities on MSC and have been include for us on bookings made since June 2019 as Ate said.

Liz

Okay, now I'm confused.  Booked in Dec 2019 for cruise this month.  Booked thru TA in the US (and we live in the US).  How can I. Confirm if the gratuities are included??

15 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

Okay, now I'm confused.  Booked in Dec 2019 for cruise this month.  Booked thru TA in the US (and we live in the US).  How can I. Confirm if the gratuities are included??

Unless you booked under a promo that included the  daily service charge, or your TA paid them for you, they are not included in your fare for bookings made in the US, regardless of when you booked.. they will be an additional charge, added as a lump sum once aboard, unless you prepay through your TA 

13 hours ago, Faye G said:

Hi there,

Booked my first MSC cruise today via a travel agent, so I don't have all the info through yet... 

I'm UK but sail from Durban South Africa in April 20.

I asked about gratuities and they say there was none but still talked about a daily charge added to room that can be removed (which I wouldn't do) as if she wasn't actually sure... so I'm confused.

Their website says:

SERVICE CHARGES / GRATUITIES
Service Charge / Gratuities are included in the cruise fare.

Tips
MSC Cruises does not recommend tipping individual members of staff.

So, I'm still unsure!

Are my grats included in the price I paid, or not.

When I google I see the grats are included for UK sailings or something but although we are from the UK we sail from SA....  or... do sailings for all countries now include grats in the price - I hope so but I'm so so confused... and googling is confusing me even more.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Faye

Since June 2019, For bookings made from the UK/Ireland, the daily service charge has been included/rolled into the total cost of the cruise. Doesn't matter where you're sailing from - what matters is where you're booking, as different countries have different rules about consumer pricing, etc.. the DSC 

Is not a separate item on these bookings, isn't charged aboard, anymore. One flat price, including taxes, fees, service charge. The DSC is also not removable on these bookings, as they're included in the total fare, not a separate extra item.  

------------

That's said, above for UK/Ireland bookings is my understanding from reading loads of posts, website, etc.  I could be wrong, but that's my understanding....

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Unless you booked under a promo that included the  daily service charge, or your TA paid them for you, they are not included in your fare for bookings made in the US, regardless of when you booked.. they will be an additional charge, added as a lump sum once aboard, unless you prepay through your TA .  

Thank you.  That has answered MY question very adequately.  

1 hour ago, Reds4life said:

If you are from the US and book a cruise departing from Europe through the US site, is the DSC compulsory? Meaning can it be removed like on cruises departing from the US?

The DSC is not compulsory/it is not included in the price if booking from USA, regardless of where the cruise is sailing.