Project Genesis ship ordered - 220,000 GRT, delivery autumn 2009

and then Carnival took over & killed a wonderful cruise line. No butlers in suites, no slipper or robes for day if you do see one, mini bars are no longer free, and those horrible plastic scratchy balcony coverings that hurt bare feet!

They are taking Skywalkers and moving her up behind the funnel on the new Crown Princess. They also did the same thing with the Diamond and Sapphire Princess. They do not look as bad.

so get out to sea where she belongs, and how about 2-3 week cruises to S Pacific, New Zealand/Augstralia, even Asian from Hawaii & any other new ports out there!!!

I have done over 25 cruises & we hate to repeat ports. We want to be round-the-world cruisers.

Then try the QM2 or HAL or one of the lines with smaller ships that have exotic itineraries. RCI has developed a very specific pattern when introducing new ships and it is highly unlikely that they will deviate from a formula which has proven to be so successful. That formula gives you the choice of a new ship on an old familiar itinerary or an older ship on a new or different itinerary. You might wish that they would do things differently but I doubt it will be happy. If you truly want to be round-the-world cruisers you can be, but you'll have to find another line to do it on.:)

Those Princess Grand class ships are just plain ugly. As a matter of fact, Princess wins hands down as having the ugliest ships floating today IMHO. They don't even resemble a ship. I know that the exterior looks of a ship is not indicative of what the experience on board will be like but I would like to sail on something that didn't look like it was missing it's wheels.:)

How do you know it doesn't have wheels? You can't see what is below the water line. For all you know, it is a push bar and with wheels on the bottom they don't need a drydock, just a boat launch ramp. Okay, a big boat launch ramp. Oh, and a really strong winch. :)

I guess you only read a book if the cover looks good!!!!!:p

I don't think he said he will not try it because of the way it looks. He is simply saying that he does not have to try it to see it. He has seen it and he does not like the way it looks. He is not commenting on the quality of what is on the inside, just on the appearance of the outside. Some like the way it looks, some don't. What is the big deal?

They already have such a ship. It is called Celebrity.

Sorry but no they dont...Celebrity used to be that way when Chandris managed it but little by little more space has been lost and if you look at the new 110,000 GRT (If I remember the tonnage correctly) that they are building for X they pulled the same stunt, added much more passengers and reduced the passenger space ratio to below that of the Millenium Class.

I appreciate the need to make money and am all for it but they have been compromising passenger comfort lately IMHO.

I guess you only read a book if the cover looks good!!!!!:p

I don't much care about how a book looks. I very much care about the visual appeal of a ship. And I still think the Grand class is ugly. Moving Skywalkers on the newer ships has helped but the stern still looks like a wall rising out of the sea. I don't like the shape of the bow. And I don't like the look of the bridge. Yup, ugly ships.

I know. And I really would like to try Princess, but just can't go there. I like their cabins, and some of the interiors, but can't get past the skywalker thing.:)

I don't know, you and I are seeing more things eye to eye all the time. I'm getting nervous!;) :D

I don't much care about how a book looks. I very much care about the visual appeal of a ship. And I still think the Grand class is ugly. Moving Skywalkers on the newer ships has helped but the stern still looks like a wall rising out of the sea. I don't like the shape of the bow. And I don't like the look of the bridge. Yup, ugly ships.

Yeah, after cruisingator said the Diamond was better, I went to look at it, and the things I didn't like about it are, the bow, the back, the bridge sticks out too far, and the way the top balconies look down on the lower ones....that would be weird I think.

It's like I said about buying a car....you wouldn't bother with a car that had no appeal to you. That's how I feel about most of the ships out there.

I'd also like to try Celebrity, but not until they get some new ships. I wouldn't say theirs are ugly, but they are very bland in appearance. And their interiors are a bit too traditional for me.

I use to be in the car biz, and we had a saying, there's a @$$ for every seat. :D Just gotta find the right seat......:)

So this basically just means that if you're at the front of the ship laying out and it starts storming, you can be helicoptered to the back of the ship where it's bright and sunny.

Terrific!

Or, maybe they'll just have 'people movers', to get you from the back to the front, and all you have to do is stand there....:D

I'd also like to try Celebrity, but not until they get some new ships. I wouldn't say theirs are ugly, but they are very bland in appearance. And their interiors are a bit too traditional for me.
Having just come off of Celebrity's Summit, I can tell you that the interior is not traditional. Here is an example

1427583547_smallcolors.JPG.575b5ac9c85e33fbfaa2473eb869a855.JPG

Having just come off of Celebrity's Summit, I can tell you that the interior is not traditional. Here is an example

Hmm...not sure I have looked at that one....is that the one with the wrinkly, long fabric hanging down from the top, on the inside?

You're right though, definitely not traditional...

Just looked at it...I could probably do it. :)

Repeating myself from a post on the HAL board, but here's what I'm thinking about this project:

1. At some point, there are too many passengers out at sea and 'social control' or whatever you want to call it is more likely to break down. 6,000 folks (and lots of available liquor) just might be straining the limits here.

2. I think the overall marketing/business plan for this ship is going to be 'it's the journey not the destination'...the epitamy of a 'resort at sea'. Don't need to get off...hey, tendering will be a pain in the neck anyway... because anything and everything will be available. I see new business coming from those interested but never quite sure about a 'traditional cruise'. As somone excited by the ports of call....I would not enjoy this approach.

Will I ever book the Genesis? I'm not sure, but right this moment, I don't feel the need or desire to do so.

Just my 2 cents,

Kathy

Sorry, I didn't read through everything....but has everyone posted their opinions about Genesis on the Cruise Critic poll at the top of this page? Sticky entitled "How big is too big? Might be the most effective way to get our opinions out there.:)

IMHO and two cents worth. By making the ship a destination unto itself, RCI is insuring they reap the profit of people staying on board to spend their money instead of on shore with the poorer native peoples. I'm referring to getting away from the tourist trap stores owned by the cruiselines (eg Costa Maya) and getting to the locally owned native stores to spend my money. Genesis will keep the dollars on board.

Archived