Newbie...a few basic questions?

Robyn2

19 hours ago, Robyn2 said:

Are towels supplied for beach excursions?

I know this has been answered - yes - but wanted to provide more detail. There's typically a note in the newsletter to let your cabin steward know the day before a port if you want beach towels to take off. We received our newsletters quite late the first night before a port so I didn't read that until the morning. Not an issue for us as we weren't planning to go to the beach/need towels, but just so you know - make sure to let the cabin steward know in advance. I assume they'll be waiting in your cabin for you after dinner if you make the request (?again, we didn't ask for any - definitely saw them being carried off the ship though!)

29 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

I know this has been answered - yes - but wanted to provide more detail. There's typically a note in the newsletter to let your cabin steward know the day before a port if you want beach towels to take off. We received our newsletters quite late the first night before a port so I didn't read that until the morning. Not an issue for us as we weren't planning to go to the beach/need towels, but just so you know - make sure to let the cabin steward know in advance. I assume they'll be waiting in your cabin for you after dinner if you make the request (?again, we didn't ask for any - definitely saw them being carried off the ship though!)

I would have thought if you haven't requested towels from your steward for a tour, and you need them,  you can go to the pool deck and collect some from there.  

Back to a bottle of wine being left on the table in a restaurant (or not):

Our experience has been that they DO leave the bottle on the table -- if it is red.  Sometimes when the waiter isn't noticing that my glass is empty, I will be tacky enough to help myself to my own wine.  It's true that white wines are usually left in a chilled bucket next to the table.  Sometimes they are right there, other times they may be too far away for the diner to help him/herself. 

• Like 1

I don’t believe a bottle of either white or red has ever been left on our table. We rarely dine alone, always sharing, so maybe being on a two top could make a difference. Additionally, where one is sitting affects the issue also, as in will the ice bucket totally block the aisle way??!!

My experience has been that , to professional standards of service, the O wine stewards always over fill the wine glasses when pouring from purchased bottles. This practice gives them plenty of time to get get back to refill before the glass is empty.

30 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I don’t believe a bottle of either white or red has ever been left on our table. We rarely dine alone, always sharing, so maybe being on a two top could make a difference. Additionally, where one is sitting affects the issue also, as in will the ice bucket totally block the aisle way??!!

My experience has been that , to professional standards of service, the O wine stewards always over fill the wine glasses when pouring from purchased bottles. This practice gives them plenty of time to get get back to refill before the glass is empty.

My experience on Marina, with my own wine was that they decanted it ( old vintage 1982 bordeaux St ermilion)   No bottle except at onset 

1 hour ago, Mura said:

I believe the question/instruction was to ask for the bottle of WATER to be left at the table, which I did, and which was declined. But I did shame/guilt them into MUCH more frequent water service - that night, at least.

17 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

towels

Have they stopped having the beach towels  at the  exit  near the table of bottled water?

On our Riviera 14 day Caribbean cruise, there were no towels on the tables with the water bottles. And I'm not certain the towels are the same as the pool. I wouldn't take towels from there unless directed to do so. 

Oh great, I didn't realize we could take wine on board and keep it in our cabin. Is the fridge big enough to take a couple of bottles of wine?

That solves the pre dinner drinks question, we can just open our own 😊.

Requesting towels, I am glad to know this, I also thought they may be at the exit to pick up when leaving ship!

We will be on Riviera , I believe 4 specialty restaurants.  So will try nab an extra booking as soon as possible, even possibly on first night.

Don't really want the wine bottle on the table, just hope it doesn't walk away 😉

Again thank you all so much.

Dan;

Yes, they will decant either purchased or corkage wine upon request. They’ll even put it back into the bottle if you don’t finish it. That wasn’t the issue. They have never left the bottle or the decanter of wine on our table. 

You are far greater affectionate of the Buffet than we and thus frequent it far more often . I will stipulate that my comments are in reference to what has occurred in the full service venues not the Buffet. Self service there is the restaurant theme. In fact, for the past couple of years my experience in the Terrace has been if one wants an adult beverage with a meal they are better off bringing it themselves and not letting go! 😠

1 hour ago, Hoyaheel said:

on our Riviera 14 day Caribbean cruise, there were no towels on the tables with the water bottles. And I'm not certain the towels are the same as the pool. I wouldn't take towels from there unless directed to do so. 

they are  on a separate table   near the exit  or they were

they are not the same as the pool towels  they are blue/white striped

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

they are  on a separate table   near the exit  or they were

they are not the same as the pool towels  they are blue/white striped

That is my memory as well. I thought we had solid blue but definitely not the same a the pool towels

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

They have never left the bottle or the decanter of wine on our table. 

My husband prefers to be the one to refill my glass.  If he speaks to our Butler in advance, might the various venues all get the message and leave the bottle at his disposal? Does anyone have any experience with this type of request? If not, I guess we'll find out... but whenever we're out for dinner, allowing him to decide when to refill my glass and with how much liquid is one of his biggest complaints. (In our experience, servers tend to overfill.)

Just checked with my husband. No beach towels on ANY table near exits while disembarking at ports on Riviera, Dec 2019. So perhaps it varies by ship/staff. (We looked around a LOT because it was our first Oceania cruise. We did discover there are chilled waters in coolers, as well as room temp, so husband and I each could get our preference.)

3 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

My husband prefers to be the one to refill my glass.  If he speaks to our Butler in advance, might the various venues all get the message and leave the bottle at his disposal? Does anyone have any experience with this type of request? If not, I guess we'll find out... but whenever we're out for dinner, allowing him to decide when to refill my glass and with how much liquid is one of his biggest complaints. (In our experience, servers tend to overfill.)

just ask the wine waiter to leave the bottle on the table

It is not a problem

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

just ask the wine waiter to leave the bottle on the table

It is not a problem

From what I've read in this thread, that may or may not work. But yes -- definitely worth trying. And if this is the one thing I complain about after our cruise, then I'll know I had a great time! 🙂 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

From what I've read in this thread, that may or may not work. But yes -- definitely worth trying. And if this is the one thing I complain about after our cruise, then I'll know I had a great time! 🙂 

We have had  bottles of red wine  left on the table   without an issue 

they whites  they do keep in a bucket nearby  but  I am sure if you ask  they will leave it on the table for you

JMO

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

We have had  bottles of red wine  left on the table   without an issue 

they whites  they do keep in a bucket nearby  but  I am sure if you ask  they will leave it on the table for you

JMO

+1

-though not if the Passenger is on a Beverage Package-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

+1

-though not if the Passenger is on a Beverage Package-

yes true  it is by  the glass only  

We never do the package so i forgot about that aspect 😉

If you buy a bottle  of wine  or take your own though  I do not see  a problem

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 11:46 AM, Mura said:

Our experience has been that they DO leave the bottle on the table -- if it is red.  Sometimes when the waiter isn't noticing that my glass is empty, I will be tacky enough to help myself to my own wine.  It's true that white wines are usually left in a chilled bucket next to the table.  Sometimes they are right there, other times they may be too far away for the diner to help him/herself. 

Oh no!

Next 3-star review:

Disappointed with our Oceania cruise: The sommelier actually allowed a tacky person to pour his/her own wine! Witnessing this horrible act spoiled our cruise! One and done with Oceania!  :classic_laugh::classic_biggrin:

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Oh no!

Next 3-star review:

Disappointed with our Oceania cruise: The sommelier actually allowed a tacky person to pour his/her own wine! Witnessing this horrible act spoiled our cruise! One and done with Oceania!  :classic_laugh::classic_biggrin:

Nothing unusual about that at all. We have had multiple posters come here and complain about the Terrace. They want to scoop their own food, and take as little or as much as they please! They don’t want to be “served “!

Trained wine stewards or a sommelier fills a guest’s wine glass to a proper level as required in fine restaurants. Should O guests be allowed to go back to the kitchen and scoop up seconds if they just want self service? It’s not something normally done by patrons themselves in better establishments.

I’m sure, if one demands, the staff will leave their bottle on the table for self service. A head Sommelier, at a reputable restaurant, would soon be at that table inquiring if they were receiving poor service or why they demanded the bottle. 

As John Wayne said in many a movie “ Leave the bottle!”

• Like 2

On 2/16/2020 at 10:01 PM, Robyn2 said:

Hi, we are new to Oceania and can’t wait to board in Miami….a few basic questions please, would appreciate your advice.

Firstly, do we need to bring reusable water bottle and coffee cups?

What toiletries are supplied, ie shampoo, conditioner, body lotion etc?

Are towels supplied for beach excursions?

We are on Deck 7 Riviera, basic veranda cabin, when would be the best time to board in Miami in order to avoid long queues?

Any other advice for newbies would be most welcome, thank you!

bring reusable water cup if you wish.

BVLGARI toiletries are provided, shampoo, conditioner, body wash and soap.

Beach towels are provided, just ask your stateroom attendant. 

remember to pre book your speciality restaurants before you go and if you want another booking just ask the person who’s as the entrance of the buffet.

there are 2 happy hours ie 2 for 1 of the same drinks. 5-6pm and (I think) 10-11pm. 

Issyalex;

On R ships only are additional Specialty reservations taken in the Buffet or Terrace.

On O ships, there is a special desk on Deck  5 in the main atrium for that purpose. Additionally, on our last Nautica cruise ( R ship) last fall, they were using the Oceania Cruise Ambassador’s desk located in the atrium on Deck 6, in the mornings, for that purpose. Inquiries were all directed there.

Edited by pinotlover