The Genesis Class

patval

Hello Everyone!

I saw this News Brief on CC and was about to go nuts over what is up with this. I think RCCL will be looking for S-Class ships to use for tendering to ports when this ships come along.

February 6, 2006 pixel.gif Huge News -- Royal Caribbean Orders 220,000-Ton Ship! Royal Caribbean has announced it will build cruising's biggest ship ever with the development of a 220,000-ton, 5,400-passenger ship. To be developed under the project name Genesis, the first ship is planned for delivery in fall of 2009.

The prototype is a whopping 43 percent bigger than Royal Caribbean's next largest ships -- the not-yet-launched Freedom class of vessels, which measure 158,000 tons and carry 3,600 passengers.

While design details are not yet available, the ship will obviously build on -- and expand upon -- some of the elements from its Voyager and Freedom classes of ships. These features include indoor promenades, elaborate sun decks, a host of recreational facilities from ice skating rinks to rock climbing walls, and more.

Even as Royal Caribbean is announcing this newest evolution for the cruise line, it is also ramping up for delivery of its first-ever Freedom-class ship. When Freedom of the Seas debuts in June, it will feature new innovations such as an onboard surf park, a water-park-style sun deck, and family-friendly cabin designs, among others. There will be three Freedom class ships, all total -- two more, as yet unnamed, are in various stages of pre-construction and slated for launch in 2007 and 2008 respectively.

The Genesis-class ship, like the Freedom and Voyager siblings, will also be built at Finland's Aker Finn yards. In Royal Caribbean's statement, the company says that its contract, which is contingent upon the completion of certain conditions by the end of February, also includes an option for a second ship.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek::eek

Maybe they will use the Mercury or century as a tender to ports whe it arrives.

The Grand Princess is already having problems with tendering it takes some people up to 3 hours from standing in line to get off the ship to dry land. I believe Princess now is not visitng tender ports with this ship. This problem in only on 119.000 ton ship what would it be like on a 220,000 ship. I guess will we have to see when Freedom comes out at 160,000 to get an idea.

Paul

The Grand Princess is already having problems with tendering it takes some people up to 3 hours from standing in line to get off the ship to dry land. I believe Princess now is not visitng tender ports with this ship. This problem in only on 119.000 ton ship what would it be like on a 220,000 ship. I guess will we have to see when Freedom comes out at 160,000 to get an idea.

Paul

However, there are no reports that Voyager class ships which are even larger than the Grand Princess, have tendering problems. We have been in tender ports on the Explorer and experienced no lengthy delays. While I personally prefer ships of the size of the Radiance, I have enjoyed some of the features offered on Voyager class and look forward to taking our kids and grandkids on Freedom next Fall. I guess it is best to wait and see what the critical opinion of the Freedom and the Genesis class ships is when they are introduced.

At least RCI hasn't tried to adopt Joe Farcus' style of design.:D

Yawn!! The rendering of the ship shows a very boring expanse of straight lines of windows/balconies. A previous poster said it looks like a resort. I think it looks like a 1960's "modern" apartment building. A seagoing vessel? No way!

You will not find me on this ship.

Me neither. I may have only just turned 50, but with my "compromised" legs, I would need a scooter to get around a ship that size. No fun and certainly not an experience I would pay good money for.

But I guess enough people must like this sort of environment ... or else they wouldn't be building them.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Way too big of a ship for us!!

I can"t imagine just trying to embark and debark the cruise ship.

All joking aside ... I wonder if they plan to construct some sort of monorail system to get around the ship? You might actually need it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Wow! I counted 8 decks above the promenade deck! This is just a huge floating condo---no character or flair to it IMO, aside from it's gargantuan proportions. I wonder how many ports will be willing to build the infrastructure to handle a ship of that size?

I'll pass on cruising on a ship of that size.

Yawn!! The rendering of the ship shows a very boring expanse of straight lines of windows/balconies. A previous poster said it looks like a resort. I think it looks like a 1960's "modern" apartment building. A seagoing vessel? No way!

I don't see a Promenade Deck either....:rolleyes:

Wow! I counted 8 decks above the promenade deck! This is just a huge floating condo---no character or flair to it IMO, aside from it's gargantuan proportions. I wonder how many ports will be willing to build the infrastructure to handle a ship of that size?

I'll pass on cruising on a ship of that size.

All of them....vast numbers of people= vastly increased revenues. I know traditional cruisers, for the most part, don't care for the "mega-ships" but the trend is here to stay.:)

Today the Joliet, Illinois paper "THE HERALD NEWS" had quite an article on this ship. As I read the article I kept thinking No thank you. The thing is way over 1100 ft. long and carries "up to 6400" PAX. No thank you. I hope Holland NEVER goes that route. The biggest way to stop this nonsense is for the public to say NO and not book a ship like this.

So why do people book megaships, and now, gigaships? I haven't seen fares being any lower on them. If you want to climb a rock wall, you can do it a lot cheaper near home.They visit only a limited selection of ports.

I guess it's more convenient for travel agents who can hawk a large volume of bookings on a single advertising vehicle. And so it might attract new people to cruising, but will they book again?

So this is whats going to happen

You get this new ship with 6000 people along with lets say 5 other ships in one port that day lets say Cozumel.

Thats close to 17,000 people or more on one island. one one day.

How the heck will the island handel all of these people.

The crowds in all the shops, cant walk anywhere with out bumping into people.

I guess for a long time cruiser who has been on all these islands 10 or more times, then I guess it would be nice to stay on the ship and enjoy the ship while everybody else is on the island running into each other.

I'll stick to the small ones..:)

Archived