I Am Outta Here Friday

doone

Rev - Mrs. K had already informed me she'll be in "hyper-shop" mode at St Thomas. She realizes that the bargain days of years ago are gone but she's convinced she can still find a treasure here or there even though that means more intense shopping. Having said that I think it's still possible to arrange a meeting. Also having said that I wonder if 9/11 has done away with the ship to ship visits. Years and years ago we were in Nassau at the same time as the old Westerdam. Since the ships were tied up right across from each other we were able to show our Ryndam passes and go on the Westerdam. Couldn't charge anything of course but we did have lunch on the Westerdam just to "experience" another ship. I'd love to take a peek at the new Noordam but that might be asking too much with all the new security. :confused:

Randy, sad to say, that kind of visiting went out in the '80s. Security got much stricter after the Achilie Lauro.

I was docked in St. Thomas (non-HAL) back in '79 and saw the Rotterdam docked next door. I went over after the public tours (!yes, public tours) were over, said something like "oh, darn", and was invited to just walk on and enjoy myself---so long as I was off my midnight!

I'd never been on the Rotterdam, and what a good time I had!

Ruth - Should also add that we just didn't ask to go on the Westerdam. We were on the Ryndam so we had "company" passes from another HAL ship and they actually made a public announcement that Ryndam passengers were invited to visit the Westerdam and vice versa. I also remember how excited the Ryndam staff was to see the Westerdam. Apparently many of them had been taken from the Westerdam to staff the then new Ryndam and they have friends on the Westie.

Archived