COVID-19 , has it impacted your cruise?

spinnaker2

I am sure almost all the cruisers were affected in one way or another. Its only the matter of the price people paid. I am especially sorry for those for whom the cruise this was the first time in their life. The thing is, for the most of them it will be first and last cruise cause they were saving for it a good amount of time. Where and what will they do next.. noone knows, but certainly they wont be cruising.. 

• 2 weeks later...

We have made the decision to cancel.  I am from UK...Cruise was Dubai to Mumbai on Silver Spirit in November.  Just cancelled our flights.  If we lose all our money our decision is still to cancel. When the virus is over we will book again. 

I dont thing there is a single person on this forum who has not been effected by the COVID. I just saw an ambulance taking some guy out of his home.. I mean I am not sure if he had any plans regarding cruising but I had and they all got destroyed by this crisis... I am only glad that I canceled my trip in time. Now I have lost of time to plan my future cruise. Might not be going to Europe though. Maybe even stay at home for good 

I posted the first query on February 20.

It is surreal looking back at it two months hence. I wish I could erase it now. 

I read the book by John M Barry several years ago entitled the Great Influenza. It was written in 2004, is replete with citations and well researched.

It is the story of the deadliest pandemic in history, at least in the authors opinion, the 1918 influenza virus and outbreak.

Before I posted my question to this forum  I pulled it off my bookshelf and looked back at the book. The afterword is worthy of a reread.

The author asks how prepared we are for a new pandemic and states that as of his writing,  not at all.

He further opines that the final lesson of the 1918 epidemic is that those who occupy positions of authority must lessen the panic that can alienate the members of a society. 

"Those in authority must retain the public's trust. The way to do that is to distort nothing, to put the best face on nothing, to try and manipulate no one...

A leader must make whatever horror exists concrete. Only then will people be able to break it apart."

When I posed my question to this group I was of the hope we,  and I mean the collective we, would not experience anything remotely like the lethal influenza of 1918.

How very wrong I was.

• Like 4