Airlines ruining my day!!!

cb at sea

I just need to vent! I had the perfect flight booked. Non-stop, leaving in the afternoon, to arrive in Miami the night before our ship sails. Perfect. The return trip was also non-stop, leaving just after noon the day our ship returns. Also perfect. THEN, the airline notifies me they have changed our itinery so we depart at 6am and our return flight isn't until 8:30 pm!!!! Of course, I cancelled, so I'm not stuck on their schedule, but I'm really mad at American Airlines. Now I've got to start the process all over again.

Once again--just venting! Thanks for listening!

I just need to vent! I had the perfect flight booked. Non-stop, leaving in the afternoon, to arrive in Miami the night before our ship sails. Perfect. The return trip was also non-stop, leaving just after noon the day our ship returns. Also perfect. THEN, the airline notifies me they have changed our itinery so we depart at 6am and our return flight isn't until 8:30 pm!!!! Of course, I cancelled, so I'm not stuck on their schedule, but I'm really mad at American Airlines. Now I've got to start the process all over again.

Don't feel bad, Delta did that to me once on a flight. Not fun at all. At least they notified you. Delta did not tell me and I found it one afternoon when checking.

It's not just American, it's ALL of them. I book flights anymore knowing that, at best, they are tentative. What amazes me is the airlines wonder why they're going bankrupt. Customer service seems to be only an afterthought in the board rooms of America. The customer no longer comes first and, for that matter, is nothing more than a statistic. No longer a person with needs, wants and desires but something (not someone) to be exploited for the sake of profit and stockholder happieness.

CB, are you flying out of Dulles? Those seem to be the fairly standard IAD to MIA times. Sounds like maybe they out and out just eliminated your flights.

There have been flights at other times but they cost twice as much. National has the most non-stop flights.

In June, even though I live right near Dulles, I am flying out of BWI (the friend who is going with me lives there, so we can park at her house). Super cheap flight out (2:50 in the afternoon), and early one back (11:20).

I would have paid MORE for the privilege of the 6am and 8pm Dulles flights. Stinks for sure!

Tracy

Well, instead of cancelling, you could've asked American to put you on flights that were closer to your original schedule. Had you already purchased your tickets?

Zotzer--we were booked out of Richmond--a much easier drive from Fredericksburg than going north. Usually use DCA instead of Dulles. Flew into BWI once--took longer to drive home from Baltimore than it took to fly from Miami!!!!

NancyIL, since they re-scheduled more than 90 mins. from my original time, I was able to cancel without penalty.

It only takes 2 1/2 hours to fly from Va. to Miami--I just can't see taking a flight with stopovers that will total 6 or 7 hours travel time. (I'm not a happy traveler--that's why I love cruising so much--the trip IS the vacation!!!!)

Happened to us too!!! We booked Knoxville to San Juan through Expedia six months ago. We have had three changes so far. We are arriving in San Juan two days before our cruise on the Serenade March 18th and had planned on two beach days there. Now we don't get into San Juan till 5:00 pm so there goes a beach day! Called expedia and the airline and all we got was sorry. The hotels are very expensive in SJ not to get to enjoy the day there. Not going to let it ruin our trip so we will make the best of the situation! 37 days and counting!!!!:)

American did the same to us in October. They cancelled our 12:30pm flight out of SJ and booked us on a flight leaving at 9:30 am. No way could we make it on time..... Anyway, other flights we also numerous stops except the 9:30 am one, so we stayed over another day. It ended up being very relaxing that way.....don't need stress.

HORRORS!!! We booked America West in Feb for a Flight to Miami on 24 Nov for our cruise on 25 Nov. They called in Oct and said , they will not be flying on thurs the 24th of nov. No how, no way. I checked the airline web page and sure enough, they cancelled all of their flights that day.. We had to go on the 23rd or take a chance of going down on the 25 cruise date.. We chose to go on the 23rd and had to pay for another hotel room.. The airline said sorry we won't be able to reimburse for the hotel room and no credit will be given..

It's no wonder why the airlines are in trouble! And don't you hate it when you have to go two states to the north in order to fly south? Who thought up these routes??? The hubby now says we should just drive from Va. to Miami--takes an extra day coming and going, so I don't know about that. At least I wouldn't have to "pack light" for the airline!

Thanks for the imput, everyone! Aside from an airline going out of business in the middle of a trip to Vegas, I've never had something like this happen!

Airlines changing schedules is the reason I am waiting until less than 90 days prior to flying to book my flights. I like you find the perfect flights. I did not book them. Well, the schedule has changed at least three times since I found the perfect flights. So, I am glad I did not book anything.

Forgive me if I am wrong, I will try to look this up when I don't have such a headache :confused: but I thought any changes more then so many hours the airline had to try and get you there on another airline or something like that. Maybe it's just on an oversold plane but I know there is a time line that the airline must do certain things. Say 2 hours get you on another plane, 4 hours so much refund and still try to get you on another plane, 6 hours full refund and still get you there. Those are IMAGINARY hours & amounts but I know I recently read that while trying to find out how soon one could check in baggage before a flight. When this headache subsides I will try to look it up again but if anyone knows the scoop fill us in. I was worried about my flight because we too feel we got the perfect flight but I could not access the reservation this morning as I do periodically check the times. Weird because I could access another reservation. Have not tried to look again all day, just might have to to feel better.

BonVoyage

Dawna

It's no wonder why the airlines are in trouble! And don't you hate it when you have to go two states to the north in order to fly south? Who thought up these routes??? The hubby now says we should just drive from Va. to Miami--takes an extra day coming and going, so I don't know about that. At least I wouldn't have to "pack light" for the airline!

Thanks for the imput, everyone! Aside from an airline going out of business in the middle of a trip to Vegas, I've never had something like this happen!

It is called the hub and spoke system. It is the only way 400 jets can service more than 20 cities.

Forgive me if I am wrong, I will try to look this up when I don't have such a headache :confused: but I thought any changes more then so many hours the airline had to try and get you there on another airline or something like that. Maybe it's just on an oversold plane but I know there is a time line that the airline must do certain things. Say 2 hours get you on another plane, 4 hours so much refund and still try to get you on another plane, 6 hours full refund and still get you there. Those are IMAGINARY hours & amounts but I know I recently read that while trying to find out how soon one could check in baggage before a flight. When this headache subsides I will try to look it up again but if anyone knows the scoop fill us in. I was worried about my flight because we too feel we got the perfect flight but I could not access the reservation this morning as I do periodically check the times. Weird because I could access another reservation. Have not tried to look again all day, just might have to to feel better.

BonVoyage

Dawna

You may be correct, but who wants to put up with all that hassle on their vacation?

Ok easier to find then I thought, here is the official mumbo jumbo, bummer.

3. DELAYED AND CANCELED FLIGHTS

Airlines don't guarantee their schedules, and you should realize this when planning your trip. There are many things that can-and often do-make it impossible for flights to arrive on time. Some of these problems, like bad weather, air traffic delays, and mechanical repairs, are hard to predict and beyond the airlines' control. If your flight is delayed, try to find out how late it will be. But keep in mind that it is sometimes difficult for airlines to estimate the total duration of a delay during its early stages. In so- called "creeping delays," developments occur which were not anticipated when the carrier made its initial estimate of the length of the delay. Weather that had been forecast to improve can instead deteriorate, or a mechanical problem can turn out to be more complex than initially determined. If the problem is with local weather or air traffic control, all flights will probably be late and there's not much you or the airline can do to speed up your departure. If there's a mechanical problem with the plane for your particular flight or if the crew is delayed on an incoming flight, you might be better off trying to arrange another flight, as long as you don't have to pay a cancellation penalty or higher fare for changing your reservations. (It is sometimes easier to make such arrangements from a pay phone than at a ticket counter.) If you find a flight on another airline, ask the first airline to endorse your ticket to the new carrier; this could save you a fare increase. Remember, however, that there is no rule requiring them to do this. If your flight is canceled, most airlines will rebook you on the first flight of theirs to your destination on which space is available, at no additional charge. If this involves a significant delay find out if another carrier has space, and ask the first airline to endorse your ticket. Finding extra seats may be difficult, however, especially over holidays and other peak travel times.

Each airline has its own policies about what it will do for delayed passengers waiting at the airport; there are no federal requirements. If you are delayed, ask the airline staff if they will pay for meals or a phone call. Some airlines, often those charging very low fares, do not provide any amenities to stranded passengers. Others may not offer amenities if the delay is caused by bad weather or something else beyond the airline's control. Contrary to popular belief, airlines are not required to compensate passengers whose flights are delayed or canceled. As discussed in the chapter on overbooking, compensation is required by law only when you are "bumped" from a flight that is oversold. Airlines almost always refuse to pay passengers for financial losses resulting from a delayed flight. If the purpose of your trip is to close a potentially lucrative business deal, to give a speech or lecture, to attend a family function, or to be present at any time-sensitive event, you might want to allow a little extra leeway and take an earlier flight. In other words, airline delays and cancellations aren't unusual, and defensive counter- planning is a good idea when time is your most important consideration. When booking your flight remember that a departure early in the day is less likely to be delayed than a later flight, due to "ripple" effects throughout the day. Also, if an early flight does get delayed or canceled, you have more rerouting options. If you book the last flight of the day and it is canceled, you could get stuck overnight. You may select a connection (change of planes) over a nonstop or direct flight because of the convenient departure time or lower fare. However, a change of planes always involves the possibility of a misconnection. If you have a choice of connections and the fares and service are equivalent, choose the one with the least-congested connecting airport, so it will be easier to get to your second flight. You may wish to take into consideration the potential for adverse weather if you have a choice of connecting cities. When making your reservation for a connection, always check the amount of time between flights. Ask yourself what will happen if the first flight is delayed; if you don't like the answer, pick another flight or ask the agent to "construct" a connection that allows more time.

Overbooking is where the DOT comes into play, sorry about that.

Dawna

I had booked in July for Feb flight day before cruise. Perfect flights, quick and very little layover for a super price ( less than $200 with tax) Found out with their instant email notification about 2 months ago ( you need to sign up for online as a member) that my flight had been cancelled and was booked on another at an earlier flight time. Consequently having to leave work much earlier than expected. Original flight was close to 5 pm and now it leaves at noon and waits in Chicago some 3 1/2 hours and worse on the return flight my layover is 5 hours!

I called and spoke to a rep trying to see if there was anything else they could give me and everything else was worse in comparison . She also offered me a refund but it wouldn't have even covered the cost of one ticket at the time she informed me.

I did find flights out of Reagan National, instead of Richmond, Va. but they are much more expensive and since it's still on AA, who's to say they won't re-schedule that flight? Most of our flights are on Americawest to Vegas--never had any problems with that airline. It'll all work out--still have 59 days to go!

not only on cruise vacation but b/c I travel on Sundays-Fridays each week airlines leave you at their mercy.

Last years Mariner cruise- was at the airport checking in., received phone call, flight was cancelled (was 7:30am flight) luckily I was flying in the day before. Had it been cruise day I would have missed the boat as I arrived in MIA at 6:30pm.

This years Radiance cruise- Flights changed from a great 12 noon flight to MIA to a 6:30 am flight, return flight was 1:30 pm- eventually ended up with a 4:50PM flight out.

Travel weekly -I usually take the 5:50 flight out of DFW to CVG on Fridays, now they cancelled that flight for good effective 3/1/06 and I have to fly out at either 2:11 and miss a half day of work or fly out at 8:30pm to get back to Cincinnati at 11:30pm.

Yes the airlines hold all the cards. sorry to vent.. touchy subject for a weary weekly traveler.

When I went to visit my sister in West Virginia this past summer, I was flying on Continental. My flight left Boise, stopped in Houston for a short stop and then flew on to Charleston, WV. A month before my trip, I was checking the web site to print out my itinerary. Something looked strange...then it dawned on me that the flight had changed. They had my second flight from Houston to Charleston leaving half an hour BEFORE I arrived in Houston from Boise!!! I promptly called Continental and congratulated the customer service rep on conquering time travel.:D When she saw my schedule, she said, "Now that's weird!" Then she put me on hold to check on what could be done. When she came back she told me that they didn't have any other flights that would fit my schedule so they would be booking me on a Delta flight, because that was their "sister" airline. They didn't charge me anything because they said it was their change. I don't know if all airlines do that, but it was sure nice that Continental was able to do that.

When I went to visit my sister in West Virginia this past summer, I was flying on Continental. My flight left Boise, stopped in Houston for a short stop and then flew on to Charleston, WV. A month before my trip, I was checking the web site to print out my itinerary. Something looked strange...then it dawned on me that the flight had changed. They had my second flight from Houston to Charleston leaving half an hour BEFORE I arrived in Houston from Boise!!! I promptly called Continental and congratulated the customer service rep on conquering time travel.:D When she saw my schedule, she said, "Now that's weird!" Then she put me on hold to check on what could be done. When she came back she told me that they didn't have any other flights that would fit my schedule so they would be booking me on a Delta flight, because that was their "sister" airline. They didn't charge me anything because they said it was their change. I don't know if all airlines do that, but it was sure nice that Continental was able to do that.

Yes, several different airlines have partnerships. Delta & Continental. United & US Airways. I don't know who American is teamed with.

OK - my money pit [we all have one - house, boat, car, kids, wives] is an airplane. My airplane can take me - one stop - from New England to any of the florida ports. My wife and son and our luggage can leave any darn time we want on any day we want, without the hassle of security or being at the mercy of anyone except God [for the weather you know].

Sure, we have to be flexible in time since in the winter ice and snow storms can ruin our plans but most times we can depart when we want and once South of Virginia we are out of the snow and ice belt. The ship will not wait for you, even if you bought cruise line air - so - if you NEVER want to get left behind, NEVER leave the same day as the cruise.

I never have problems with changed schedules, or bankrupt airlines or security evacuations of terminals. I departed on a business trip once after picking up a colleague at BDL in CT. Another colleague refused to fly in a small plane - but just before we departed they had a secruity breach at the terminal and he was delayed 3 hours and missed the meeting. I saw the police vehicles at the terminal, heard from tower about the evac and re-screeen, and just chuckled as I brought the gear up and adjusted the throttle and grinned.

There IS another option to the airlines and driving, and it is darn convenient so long as you realize you need to be flexible at times.

It's not just American, it's ALL of them. I book flights anymore knowing that, at best, they are tentative. What amazes me is the airlines wonder why they're going bankrupt. Customer service seems to be only an afterthought in the board rooms of America. The customer no longer comes first and, for that matter, is nothing more than a statistic. No longer a person with needs, wants and desires but something (not someone) to be exploited for the sake of profit and stockholder happieness.

Sorry if this comes off sounding like an airline defender, but I am a bit of an aviation nut. The problem is, an awful lot of people consider it a "ripoff" if an airline charged a fare that actually made the airline a profit. I can fly from Kansas City to Fort Lauderdale for as little as $150 round trip, if I book in advance. $150 wouldn't even cover gas in my car to drive me that far and back. So profit isn't really a factor there...It costs American Airlines about 10 cents to fly one seat one mile...whether somebody is sitting in that seat or not. For a 1,000 mile one way trip, that's $100. So there and back is $200...and that's just to break even on the trip. So...I buy the ticket for $150...$50 less than it costs them to fly it. If every seat isn't filled on that plane, then every empty seat costs them $200 and they don't get a nickle for flying it. So...they cut flights and shift passengers from one not so full flight to another not so full flight, hopefull making one full flight. It's inconvenient to the passenger, sure. But it is a way for the airline to stem some of their losses..and hopefully make a profit.

You have to be REALLY flexible. My uncle is also a pilot who has a single-engine Cessna that he flies. He and my aunt flew from Colorado Springs to Houston last year for a cruise with hubby and I from Galveston. The flight in was fine. They flew in a day before the cruise. The return was a problem October is well known in Houston for rolling thunderstorms. We finished the cruise on a Sunday, but because of the number of storm fronts rolling in between the Rockies and Houston, they got stuck until Thursday. The commercial jets can fly over those storms but a Cessna can't.

Archived