Pub lunch on Royal Princess in the buffet

DougH

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Question:  I have sometimes heard of people getting Shrimp & Chips at the pub lunch in the past. I have never seen this option. Has anybody actually seen this and, if so, is it ever offered these days? I love fish & chips but would seriously like to try the shrimp & chips if possible.

Note: We visited Southampton briefly before a cruise last year and I had the absolute best fish & chips I have ever had. My wife agrees that it was by far the best. I wish we could get that quality at home.

On the Sky/Regal/Royal cruise for us they alternated the shrimp/chips on one day and the day other fish/chips.

The shrimp has always been excellent when I have had it.

The pub lunch is back at the Crown Grill as of this week. Maybe it was a test or the CG was busy the last sea day? Not sure but it has returned. Fish was hot and crispy but as mentioned was about 90% batter. The bread pudding was amazing. By 11:40 there was a huge line so go early! 

EDA634C1-2AC8-4234-BEB7-CA4D0CFC62CF.png

I would totally LOVE this. We had it once on the Emerald years ago. Last year on the Grand, the line was SO long that we said forget it. 😞 I was so sad. I normally do not care for fish and chips, but it was SO good, that I want it again. Hopefully come December it will be easier on the Royal! 😄 

I think the trick to Pub Lunch is to get there 15 min before they close, whether Crown Grill or Horizon Court.  Having it in Horizon Court two weeks ago made for very bad traffic problems for scooters trying to get by.

We had it on the Emerald in the Crown Grill last week. It was a great atmosphere, but as Brits we were a bit unimpressed with the fish in the fish and chips, and laughed at the chilled 'jam roly poly' 

29 minutes ago, debsjc said:

We had it on the Emerald in the Crown Grill last week. It was a great atmosphere, but as Brits we were a bit unimpressed with the fish in the fish and chips, and laughed at the chilled 'jam roly poly' 

Having had fish and chips in a pub in Southampton last year has ruined me for the stuff we get here in the US. No comparison.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, debsjc said:

Have not heard of a jam roly poly.  What is it?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

Have not heard of a jam roly poly.  What is it?

It's a steamed sponge pudding, made with suet & raspberry jam, and served hot with custard.  Not a cold swiss roll sponge, with vanilla sauce! (which is what Princess served)

It should be like this ...

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/jam-roly-poly