Pub lunch on Royal Princess in the buffet

DougH

Just got home from a cruise to Mexico on the Royal Princess and they tried something new with the Pub Lunch I've never seen before. This time it was set up in a section of the Lido Buffet instead of being served in the Crown Grill. You served yourself and I got my food fast, same menu as I've seen on other ships but buffet style. I was on the Sky TA in November and never got into the Pub Lunch after several tries as the line was so long whether you arrived early or late. I think this was a great idea and hope they continue

• Like 7

I like the idea of no lines or waiting for a table, but for us, one of the most enjoyable parts of the pub lunch is the Boddingtons Ales that we always order with our lunch.  We went to the pub lunch on the Crown a few weeks ago and were crushed when our server told us that they were out of Boddingtons (this was the second day of the cruise).  He could see how disappointed we were and magically produced two Boddingtons for us halfway through our lunch.  Apparently he saw someone bring some in from another Locandasilva he grabbed two.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, I don’t suppose that it would be easy to get English ale delivered to the Horizon Court.

• Like 1

Pub lunch was still in the Crown Grill in January, quite a line to get in.  Fish n chips cold and a little soggy by the time we were served (which wasn’t quick) My DIL ordered a Guinness before we ordered our food and we were half finished with the meal  before it arrived. I think the buffet style may have been much more to our liking. 

Edited by imescaping
Punctuation, typo

1 hour ago, DougH said:

Just got home from a cruise to Mexico on the Royal Princess and they tried something new with the Pub Lunch I've never seen before. This time it was set up in a section of the Lido Buffet instead of being served in the Crown Grill.

Was this every day or just one or more special days?

Was it listed in the Patter or did you find it accidentally?

Interesting!  They did not offer the Pub Lunch on our recent cruise on the Sky.

And unless I missed it or it has been eliminated, they did not have the elaborate sushi buffet or the chocolate buffet that we have previously seen on the Royal

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

1 hour ago, sunsetbeachgal said:

Interesting!  They did not offer the Pub Lunch on our recent cruise on the Sky.

And unless I missed it or it has been eliminated, they did not have the elaborate sushi buffet or the chocolate buffet that we have previously seen on the Royal

Also my experience on the Sky with those missing events over two weeks at Christmas. Was really looking forward to having the entire extended family experience Pub Lunch as I’ve enjoyed it on the Regal many times. For me, having it in the buffet would have taken away from the experience and ambience of the Crown. 

I'm doubtful about how well this would work. I know somebody said that their fish and chips were cold and soggy by the time they got them, but our experience has always been the exact opposite. Our fish and chips have always been right out of the fryer, and I can't imagine them being that way (mostly) in the buffet. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

On the Emerald Princess last November, they also served the pub lunch in the Horizon Court.  It was really good and the fish was hot and crisp. 

was it just like going thru the regular buffet line ? - was it table service in the HC ?

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

was it just like going thru the regular buffet line ? - was it table service in the HC ?

It was at the very back of the Horizon Court, near the Horizon Terrace and Outrigger's bar.  It was set up as a buffet with fish and chips, bangers and mash (with gravy) steak and kidney pie, mushy peas, bread pudding, etc.  If you wanted a drink, the waiter would bring you one, or you could just get a beverage at the Outrigger's bar.  You did have to get the food yourself though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Question:  I have sometimes heard of people getting Shrimp & Chips at the pub lunch in the past. I have never seen this option. Has anybody actually seen this and, if so, is it ever offered these days? I love fish & chips but would seriously like to try the shrimp & chips if possible.

Note: We visited Southampton briefly before a cruise last year and I had the absolute best fish & chips I have ever had. My wife agrees that it was by far the best. I wish we could get that quality at home.

Edited by Thrak

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Question:  I have sometimes heard of people getting Shrimp & Chips at the pub lunch in the past. I have never seen this option. Has anybody actually seen this and, if so, is it ever offered these days? I love fish & chips but would seriously like to try the shrimp & chips if possible.

Note: We visited Southampton briefly before a cruise last year and I had the absolute best fish & chips I have ever had. My wife agrees that it was by far the best. I wish we could get that quality at home.

Fried shrimp occasionally available at Pub lunch bBut, they are the same as offered in the buffet when they have the butterflied shrimp. On the Regal, they were offered at the Pub Lunch in the buffet.

55 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We were on a 10 day on the Crown with 2 Pub Lunches.  The second lunch offered shrimp.  

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

We've seen it before at pub lunch served as 'prawns and chips'.  

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

We’ll be in Southampton in June...do you happen to remember the name of the pub/restaurant?

12 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

We’ll be in Southampton in June...do you happen to remember the name of the pub/restaurant?

We had a fairly large Cruise Critic roll call meet there. I believe it was the Duke of Wellington. 36 Bugle Street, Southampton. We met upstairs to eat. The barman is a bit "brusque" but we were told in advance. I said we were there to meet some folks for dinner upstairs and he said something like, "Well then they'd be upstairs, wouldn't they!" He pulled a fair pint and the beer was good.

http://southampton-pubs.co.uk/dukeofwellington/#main

• Thanks 1