New to Viking with a Couple Questions

Cindy

27 minutes ago, Homerody said:

We also planned Oslo - Bergen on our own.  The only issue we had was using our US issued credit card purchasing the VY train tickets (BTW - the 100 NOK pp upgrade offered for train ride is worth it in my opinion).  Using papal for payment worked fine - as recommended elsewhere on CC and other travel sites.

Interesting, Homerody.  Am wondering what the issue is here.  We've purchased train tickets in many European cities via our credit cards without ever a problem.  We had intended to do so for the Bergen-Oslo tickets too although we have to wait a bit to get to the 90 days ahead time.  And our friends last year also recommended doing the upgrade.

Perhaps it is something either in the VY site itself or in certain types of Credit Cards.

20 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Interesting, Homerody.  Am wondering what the issue is here.  We've purchased train tickets in many European cities via our credit cards without ever a problem.  We had intended to do so for the Bergen-Oslo tickets too although we have to wait a bit to get to the 90 days ahead time.  And our friends last year also recommended doing the upgrade.

Perhaps it is something either in the VY site itself or in certain types of Credit Cards.

My understanding is that VY requires use of credit cards using "3D Secure" authentication to process credit card payments.  I tried two  major bank credit cards issued in US when buying VY tickets on-line, to no avail.  So went with the paypal option.  (Calling credit card company did not help).

From VY website (payment page): "Customers from the US & Canada:We recommend paypal for our northern american customers as our system only accepts credit cards with 3D Secure."

And I think VY is introducing new trains with better seating and more pricing options later in 2020 - if I recall correctly from research done late last year.

Edited by Homerody
typos

I’m loving this discussion...so many great options!

i called Viking this morning and cancelled the pre-cruise part of our trip. We have plenty of time to decide, but I’m mulling over options for four nights — either two Oslo and two Bergen, or doing the Nutshell option and spending a night in Flåm. For those of you who have done this trip, is Flåm worth an overnight stay, or are we better off going all the way to Bergen? That would essentially give is three nights in Bergen, since we overnight there to start the cruise.

I’m loving this discussion...so many great options!

i called Viking this morning and cancelled the pre-cruise part of our trip. We have plenty of time to decide, but I’m mulling over options for four nights — either two Oslo and two Bergen, or doing the Nutshell option and spending a night in Flåm. For those of you who have done this trip, is Flåm worth an overnight stay, or are we better off going all the way to Bergen? That would essentially give is three nights in Bergen, since we overnight there to start the cruise.
As I've said before, Flåm is beautiful after the daytime cruise/tourist hordes have left. It's got nowhere near as much to do as either Oslo or Bergen, but the night we spent there was the most peaceful night of our whole trip. b17a08290e8de2a39ff0489fe9499117.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As I've said before, Flåm is beautiful after the daytime cruise/tourist hordes have left. It's got nowhere near as much to do as either Oslo or Bergen, but the night we spent there was the most peaceful night of our whole trip.

Agree 200% ... actually if looking for 'action' in Flam once the cruise ships leave ... GOOD LUCK!!!!!

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 7:20 PM, Liz Masterson said:

Ask me when I get back at the end of June. We are going to do the 2 nights in Oslo - Train - 2 nights in Bergen before we board in June 3. 😀 

Very interested.  Doing this in late August.  Inshallah.

17 minutes ago, SuSuTrav said:

At a friend’s suggestion, we booked a Deluxe Veranda but now realize we have more limited chances for excursion and specialty dining reservations.

Not really.

Unless you are interested in helicopter and airplane rides or other such tours with very, very limited capacity, most people booking DV have no trouble getting the tours they want, if not on the day booking opens then later in the process as people change their minds🙂 or have to cancel🙁. Just keep checking on MVJ. Some people suggest getting your name put on a waiting list but I think you have a better chance doing it on your own. Sometimes you can even work it out on board.

As for the included tours, you might not get a specific time slot but you will get a seat on the bus. If you must have the first tour of day, go down to the dock and see if there is space for you. Sometimes people just don't show up.

Advanced dinner reservations are limited but once you board, you may book more.

We booked a cruise less than 30 days before sailing and got every tour we wanted. We booked a V cabin and had no trouble making dinner reservations once we boarded.

• Thanks 1