New to Viking with a Couple Questions

Cindy

Hi all! My husband and I have been on many cruises, and yesterday we booked our first ever with Viking! We’re both very excited, but unfortunately it’s almost 500 days away so I have a long time to obsess!

We are big aft fans, so we chose a DV1 cabin on Deck 4 — 4123 (we’ll be on the Viking Sun).Was that a good choice? For aft cabins, only Deck 3 and Deck 4 were available. My first instinct was to choose a cabin on Deck 5, but those were both reserved already.

There’s a slight chance I may upgrade us to a Penthouse Verandah. Questions — Is there a noticeable difference in the experience and service between a DV and a PV? If we move, we will lose our prized aft view. Is there a “better” side of the ship for the Iceland’s Majestic Landscapes Itinerary sailing from Bergen to Reykjavik?

One more question — we’re going to fly to Oslo (much simpler from Houston) and take advantage of the pre-cruise hotel and scenic train to Bergen through Viking. We usually make our own arrangements, but thought the train sounded like a great way to get from Oslo to Bergen. Does anyone have experience with the train trip?

Thanks! I’m glad to be here and I’m looking forward to planning this trip!

My opinion and it is opinion only, Given the number of common guest spaces, Explorer Lounge, Living Room, etc, room location makes little difference to us.  It's a place to change clothes, bath and sleep.  We can always find a quiet nook to read, a place to met others, or to just have each others company.   The main advantage of a PV is free laundry and once a day restocking of liquor in the fridge plus the extra storage space and space around the foot of the bed.  Two  TVs within 10 feet of each other didn't do much for us on our last cruise.  Check the Viking web page for detailed perks with a PV.  

Repeat this is my opinion and know others will have differing views.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cindy said:

Hi all! My husband and I have been on many cruises, and yesterday we booked our first ever with Viking! We’re both very excited, but unfortunately it’s almost 500 days away so I have a long time to obsess!

One more question — we’re going to fly to Oslo (much simpler from Houston) and take advantage of the pre-cruise hotel and scenic train to Bergen through Viking. We usually make our own arrangements, but thought the train sounded like a great way to get from Oslo to Bergen. Does anyone have experience with the train trip?

If Viking gave you a good air price, go with them.  We flew from San Antonio but went through Houston on the way.   We made our own plans for less money. 

I've done 2 cruises with Viking with stays pre and post but never used their hotel.  Always  can do better on my own and I like finding something that will be different than what we have in US if possible. 

Friends did an extension with Viking after their cruise and felt the time in Oslo was short for their liking.

We ended in in Bergen but stayed a few days and did the Norway in a Nutshell round trip from there to Flam.  Our cruise had stopped there so we found things to there that are now part of the included part of what it now the included.  So we did part of the train trip.  I would suggest to trip to Flam for an overnight stay if it can work your plans.  Same friends said they did not get a chance to see Bergen area on Viking's plans.  They loved Iceland, once they got out of the city on their extension but you will be on the cruise so won't be exactly the same experience.

6 minutes ago, eylarson said:

My opinion and it is opinion only, Given the number of common guest spaces, Explorer Lounge, Living Room, etc, room location makes little difference to us.  It's a place to change clothes, bath and sleep.  We can always find a quiet nook to read, a place to met others, or to just have each others company.   The main advantage of a PV is free laundry and once a day restocking of liquor in the fridge plus the extra storage space and space around the foot of the bed.  Two  TVs within 10 feet of each other didn't do much for us on our last cruise.  Check the Viking web page for detailed perks with a PV.  

Repeat this is my opinion and know others will have differing views.  

PVs do not have free laundry - only free pressing and shoe shining. You would need an S cabin (suite) for free laundry. Also, the sitting area is larger. My opinion - while I enjoyed the upgrade I once got for a PV, we've done well in V rooms. I do like the 4th floor - you'll have a little walk to the stairs, elevator and self-service laundry, but I would be fine with that. 

• Like 2

Train from Oslo to Bergen is fantastic. No need to go through Viking unless you want some hand holding.  Norway is super easy to get around- everybody speaks english, most signage is english... much less $$ to book your own.  

Train ebsite is in english, Stay at the Thon Opera ( which I believe is what Viking normally uses).  It's across the street from train station. Direct train from airport. collect baggage and walk about 200 feet to the hotel.   

Likewise in Bergen,  train station to port was a 14 Euro ride.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cindy said:

We are big aft fans, so we chose a DV1 cabin on Deck 4 — 4123 (we’ll be on the Viking Sun).Was that a good choice? For aft cabins, only Deck 3 and Deck 4 were available. My first instinct was to choose a cabin on Deck 5, but those were both reserved already.

There’s a slight chance I may upgrade us to a Penthouse Verandah. Questions — Is there a noticeable difference in the experience and service between a DV and a PV? If we move, we will lose our prized aft view. Is there a “better” side of the ship for the Iceland’s Majestic Landscapes Itinerary sailing from Bergen to Reykjavik?

We liked the upgrade from DV to PV. Room was bigger plus we had alcohol in our mini bar every day. That said it was a free upgrade and didn't involve giving up a favorite cabin location. We are off in two months for Viking Homelands. Did our own air and are flying into Oslo. Already booked the train to Bergen with VY, the Norway train company rather than Rail Europe as the latter was more expensive. The train trip is 6.5 hours unless you are going to do the Flam extension. We thought the trip to Flam would be better done from the cruise as the travel would be very tiring. Lots of hotel choices in Oslo.

5 hours ago, Cindy said:

Is there a noticeable difference in the experience and service between a DV and a PV?

Absolutely not. Once you leave your cabin, it does not matter if you are in the Owner's Suite or a V cabin, every one is treated with the same care and respect --and no one is competing for your tips. There are no restricted areas on the ship. No Suites only bars or pools.  There are no butlers on board, not even for the Owner's Suite. Everyone stands in line to be seated in The Restaurant --and yes, I have even seen the VP of Operations waiting his turn to be seated.

The only differences between a DV and a PV are the price, the size, the amenities and when you get to book your shorex and specialty reservations -- and this is all spelled out on the Viking website under the SHIPS tab. Service is the same whether you choose a DV or a PV -- mini-bar replenished daily, twice daily cleaning, carafes of drinking water replenished twice daily, etc.

P.S. We are doing IML in June, so come follow our roll call, and I will probably being doing a LIVE thread as well, so look for that here starting probably at the end of May.

• Like 1

Thanks, everybody! I appreciate your hints and tips since this is all new to me.

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Absolutely not. Once you leave your cabin, it does not matter if you are in the Owner's Suite or a V cabin, every one is treated with the same care and respect --and no one is competing for your tips. There are no restricted areas on the ship. No Suites only bars or pools.  There are no butlers on board, not even for the Owner's Suite. Everyone stands in line to be seated in The Restaurant --and yes, I have even seen the VP of Operations waiting his turn to be seated.

The only differences between a DV and a PV are the price, the size, the amenities and when you get to book your shorex and specialty reservations -- and this is all spelled out on the Viking website under the SHIPS tab. Service is the same whether you choose a DV or a PV -- mini-bar replenished daily, twice daily cleaning, carafes of drinking water replenished twice daily, etc.

P.S. We are doing IML in June, so come follow our roll call, and I will probably being doing a LIVE thread as well, so look for that here starting probably at the end of May.

I like that once you’re out of your cabin there’s not a “class distinction” on Viking. It’s become more and more prevalent on the big ships, and it really can create Some resentment as well as two completely different experiences.

i would love to lurk on your roll call, and I will follow your live thread too! Thanks for the invite!

50 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

I’m doing Vikings  2 nights in Oslo, train to Bergen, and 2 nights in a hotel in Bergen before we board the Sky on June 3. Same cruise and roll call that @Peregrina651 posted above. 😊

I can’t wait to hear about your experience!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cindy said:

i would love to lurk on your roll call

Lurkers are always welcome but please, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

8 hours ago, Cindy said:

it’s almost 500 days away

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean you can't squeeze another Viking cruise in before that.  There are some perks to doing so because you already have a cruise booked -- like pay in full 6 months prior instead of 12 months prior.

13 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Lurkers are always welcome but please, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean you can't squeeze another Viking cruise in before that.  There are some perks to doing so because you already have a cruise booked -- like pay in full 6 months prior instead of 12 months prior.

I wonder if they’ve changed their final payment policy? My invoice says payment is due in full on January 6, 2021, which is six months before my cruise.

i would love to take a Viking cruise before this one, but our calendar is pretty full, especially because my husband is still working and we have to watch his vacation days. We leave for Hawaii in six weeks — doing the Norwegian cruise to the four main islands for our 60th birthdays.🙂

• Like 1

For our first Viking cruise we booked a DV and were offered an upgrade to a PV at a very good price.  We took it and really loved the room size and amenities.  There is so much drawer space and (important to my husband) you get liquor, wine and beer in the fridge replaced daily.  We loved having the sofa and chair. 

There is no free laundry, nor is there a second TV. The PS rooms have that, not the PV.  We enjoyed the room so much that we booked the same cabin (5101) for our next cruise and 5102 for the one after that. 

We just recently booked a Viking cruise for spring 2021.  We were looking for something cheaper so we were shopping other lines, but Viking sent us a nice offer for booked guests.  I found a cruise that worked but to bring it down to our desired budget, we booked a DV (5110). It’s an aft facing cabin so I’m hoping it will make up for it not being PV.  It’s the Caribbean, so I’m not as concerned about booking excursions. We will take what we can get. 

Either way, I’m sure you will love Viking!

• Like 2

We are booked on a V1 (V2 was the only lower tier) and I'm thinking that will be fine for us.  When we started sailing we booked balconies, but have recently switched to ocean views so returning to a verandah will still be an upgrade for us 😉 (not to mention Viking being an upgrade from Carnival and Royal).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cyber Kat said:

For our first Viking cruise we booked a DV and were offered an upgrade to a PV at a very good price.  We took it and really loved the room size and amenities.  There is so much drawer space and (important to my husband) you get liquor, wine and beer in the fridge replaced daily.  We loved having the sofa and chair. 

There is no free laundry, nor is there a second TV. The PS rooms have that, not the PV.  We enjoyed the room so much that we booked the same cabin (5101) for our next cruise and 5102 for the one after that. 

We just recently booked a Viking cruise for spring 2021.  We were looking for something cheaper so we were shopping other lines, but Viking sent us a nice offer for booked guests.  I found a cruise that worked but to bring it down to our desired budget, we booked a DV (5110). It’s an aft facing cabin so I’m hoping it will make up for it not being PV.  It’s the Caribbean, so I’m not as concerned about booking excursions. We will take what we can get. 

Either way, I’m sure you will love Viking!

Same scenario here - we were on 2 Viking river cruises, decided to try a med cruise on Viking Ocean, booked a DV and paid a small amount for a PV1 upgrade about a week before embarkation. For our second ocean, we decided to go for a cheaper cabin (V1). It was fine. We liked the PV1 better, but it was not worth the full upgrade cost to us. As I write, we have a GTY for our Scandinavia cruise in 3 weeks - still waiting for a cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

We are booked on a V1 (V2 was the only lower tier) and I'm thinking that will be fine for us.  When we started sailing we booked balconies, but have recently switched to ocean views so returning to a verandah will still be an upgrade for us 😉 (not to mention Viking being an upgrade from Carnival and Royal).

We have sailed three times with Viking in V2 cabins, and love the opportunity to take a wonderful trip for a "bargain" price. We have another booked for this fall, same V2 cabins.

• Like 3

On 2/24/2020 at 2:58 PM, Cindy said:

One more question — we’re going to fly to Oslo (much simpler from Houston) and take advantage of the pre-cruise hotel and scenic train to Bergen through Viking. We usually make our own arrangements, but thought the train sounded like a great way to get from Oslo to Bergen. Does anyone have experience with the train trip?“

Ask me when I get back at the end of June. We are going to do the 2 nights in Oslo - Train - 2 nights in Bergen before we board in June 3. 😀 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

Ask me when I get back at the end of June. We are going to do the 2 nights in Oslo - Train - 2 nights in Bergen before we board in June 3. 😀 

I’ll be anxious to hear your report. I’m trying to convince my husband we should switch to the 4 night tour. He’s concerned we won’t find enough to do in Bergen, but I’m out to prove him wrong!😂

On 2/26/2020 at 6:20 PM, Liz Masterson said:

I'm looking forward to hearing your report on this...we're there in July and wondering about Oslo, the train, and Bergen.  Are you staying at Thon Opera? Would love to hear about that as well, if you are.  

• Like 1

another vote for DIY on the train, or via nutshell. We've done both

last time via Nutshell we began at end of cruise in Bergen and stayed 2 additional nites.  The via Nutshell went to Oslo via train/bus/ferry/train/train spending one night in Flam arriving by ferry, then Flam rail to meet the Oslo train the next day. Then two nights in Oslo. (there is a company which will take your bags from Bergen to Oslo (or reverse) so you don't have to drag on the train/ferry if doing Nutshell . . .) Oslo // Bergen is a long ride!

'Thon' is sort of the Holiday Inn of Norway ... there's a bunch of Thon hotels in Oslo ... we stayed in Thon Terminus ... a short walk from 'central station'

32 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

last time via Nutshell we began at end of cruise in Bergen and stayed 2 additional nites.  The via Nutshell went to Oslo via train/bus/ferry/train/train spending one night in Flam arriving by ferry, then Flam rail to meet the Oslo train the next day. Then two nights in Oslo. (there is a company which will take your bags from Bergen to Oslo (or reverse) so you don't have to drag on the train/ferry if doing Nutshell . . .) Oslo // Bergen is a long ride!

'Thon' is sort of the Holiday Inn of Norway ... there's a bunch of Thon hotels in Oslo ... we stayed in Thon Terminus ... a short walk from 'central station'

Thanks for your comments!

We plan to do the Nutshell DIY (on our own and not Viking which was expensive) when we complete our Into The Midnight Sun cruise in Bergen this July.  We are staying (again on our own are decent prices) at the Thon in Bergen and then the Thon in Oslo. (Both Rosencranz).  Hoping to have a great time, as you did!

On 2/26/2020 at 9:04 PM, Cindy said:

I’ll be anxious to hear your report. I’m trying to convince my husband we should switch to the 4 night tour. He’s concerned we won’t find enough to do in Bergen, but I’m out to prove him wrong!😂

1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

We had a “chat” last night, and decided on Option 3, which is neither of the choices we had previously considered!😂 We’re going to DIY it for about a third of what it would cost through Viking...I can find very good uses for the extra money!

i think I jumped too fast at first because I knew it would be difficult to fly to Bergen from Houston without numerous plane changes, and I latched onto the Viking pre-cruise without thinking it through. I’ve rented apartments in Rome and Amsterdam, and gotten us from Venice to Ljubljana to Zagreb without anyone holding my hand, there’s no reason I can’t plan this one too! Truthfully, we will both be a lot happier if we can explore at our leisure, get off the beaten path, and avoid anything resembling a big bus!

We’re trying to decide whether we want to split it up with 2 nights in each city, or spend three nights in Oslo and then just one in Bergen since we overnight there after boarding. We’ve never been to Norway...any opinions? 

• Like 1

We had a “chat” last night, and decided on Option 3, which is neither of the choices we had previously considered![emoji23] We’re going to DIY it for about a third of what it would cost through Viking...I can find very good uses for the extra money!

i think I jumped too fast at first because I knew it would be difficult to fly to Bergen from Houston without numerous plane changes, and I latched onto the Viking pre-cruise without thinking it through. I’ve rented apartments in Rome and Amsterdam, and gotten us from Venice to Ljubljana to Zagreb without anyone holding my hand, there’s no reason I can’t plan this one too! Truthfully, we will both be a lot happier if we can explore at our leisure, get off the beaten path, and avoid anything resembling a big bus!

We’re trying to decide whether we want to split it up with 2 nights in each city, or spend three nights in Oslo and then just one in Bergen since we overnight there after boarding. We’ve never been to Norway...any opinions? 

We did DIY last June. We spent 3 nights in Oslo, one in Flåm, and two nights in Bergen before boarding. Plenty easy to plan and book.
In hindsight, since our cruise did not include Flåm, we probably should have done 2 nights in Oslo and two in Flåm. One of our days in Oslo was pretty much spent in the hotel room (our fault), and it would have been nice to spend a day in Flåm exploring. The Nutshell tour has you arrive in Flåm in the afternoon and leave the following morning (when staying overnight). It's wonderfully peaceful there in the evening after the cruise ship(s) leave, but the local activities are during the daytime hours.
I highly recommend having a day in Bergen before boarding day to "do Bergen" on your own schedule. And get to the Floibanen first thing in the morning, before the cruise ship busses start arriving. In the evening, if splurging on an amazing seafood dinner experience sounds appealing, I highly recommend looking up the Cornelius Seafood Restaurant. It's on a private island just outside Bergen, and you will be privately ferried there from the Bryggen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I'm looking forward to hearing your report on this...we're there in July and wondering about Oslo, the train, and Bergen.  Are you staying at Thon Opera? Would love to hear about that as well, if you are.  

We are all booked already for the 4 night version (2 nts. Oslo - Train - 2 nts. Bergen). Going with friends and it's settled. Viking currently has us staying in Thon Opera in Oslo and then Hotel Norge in Bergen. We arrive one day early for the entire trip and have a night in Thon Opera on our own before we begin.

I think the Hotel in Oslo is a brilliant choice because it is so close to the train station... easy to get to after we take the train in from the airport.  🙂

I also like the choice of the Hotel Norge for Bergen. It's a ways from the area where the cruises are... so we can explore that area and then when were are on the ship explore that end of town.  

Either way, all shall be well. It's a blessing to be able to travel  and enjoy time with good friends.

(Always aware that Viking can change their hotels up... but that's where we are for now.)

We also planned Oslo - Bergen on our own.  The only issue we had was using our US issued credit card purchasing the VY train tickets (BTW - the 100 NOK pp upgrade offered for train ride is worth it in my opinion).  Using papal for payment worked fine - as recommended elsewhere on CC and other travel sites.