Any Special Menu Items on New Zealand Cruises?

patrickmoran

1 hour ago, patrickmoran said:

We leave next week for our cruise on the Ruby.  This will be our 4th Princess cruise in the last year so pretty familiar with P's standard MDR menus.  Anything unique on the menus for NZ? Thanks

We have been home from our 13 day cruise on the Golden Princess nearly 2 weeks now. We certainly didn't find anything different from normal in the menus.  Not very much in the way of lamb or beef.  If we hadn't of been in Club Class and had our wonderful Head Waiter cooking most nights, we would have been very disappointed with the food.

Jennie

Aussie Burger was fun. Huge but fun. I thought I remembered other Australian and New Zealand options. I took photos of menus so will try to find those.

I was on the Jan 30 13 day New Zealand cruise on the Golden and enjoyed everything in the main dining room

The Ruby is running a special menu on trial that is very beef heavy - pretty much every night there is prime rib / strip steak / beef tips etc.  They did do a "hangi" dinner - however being a Kiwi i ordered this with an open mind and can confirm it is nothing like a hangi in NZ.  

We were on the Ruby in January with Club Class. Most nights we ate from the regular menu. Hubby really enjoyed all the duck on offer. He also tried pheasant for the first time. I enjoyed the pavlova frequently, which I haven't seen as much on Princess cruises in other parts of the world. 

Yellow Fish (Pescado Amarillo) just finished up about a zillion days (okay - only 140 or so) of cruising and much of it was in Australia and New Zealand. She posted menus all the time. Check it out HERE and, if you work backwards using the links on the bottom of the page, you will see the MDR menus available while in New Zealand. I am waaaaaaaaaay too lazy to search out the specific pages but, if you are truly interested, you can find them in this manner and see for yourself what is actually offered for both Lunch and Dinner in MDR while cruising around New Zealand.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:20 PM, sweetp12 said:

They did do a "hangi" dinner - however being a Kiwi i ordered this with an open mind and can confirm it is nothing like a hangi in NZ.  

A hangi is traditionally cooked in the ground, so there is no way to truly replicate it on a cruise ship. Also for food safety and economic reasons, hangi meals offered to tourists are usually cooked in a commercial food steamer.