Going on Magnifica in 2021 after the stretch. Anyone have experience w/MSC's stretched ships?

Stockjock

As mentioned, booked a 2021 cruise on Magnifica.  Super cheap inside guarantee, and while we don't want an inside cabin, I figure I have at least a 50% shot at an upgrade.  Do you agree with those odds?

This cruise comes shortly after they stretch it, adding 200+ cabins and a couple of restaurants.

So far, we've only been on MSC's relatively new ships, which have been very nice.  This ship seems a bit older and not sure if they'll do much refurbishing during the "stretch", or if it's mostly just a stretch and not a lot else changes.  I know MSC has stretched a couple of other ships in the past.  Anyone have any experience with their stretched ships?  Any other thoughts or comments, including thoughts on our inside GUAR roll of the dice?

3 minutes ago, Cruiser Bruiser said:

I was on Armonia in January and there was no way anyone could possibly know that the ship had been stretched. I loved Magnifica as she was, but I'm sure MSC will do a good job with the stretch. 

Did Armonia look nicer/better or somewhat tired and dated?

1 minute ago, Stockjock said:

Did Armonia look nicer/better or somewhat tired and dated?

Armonia is very well maintained and a clean ship. I thought she was very elegant. Some folks note that she is an older ship and some of her design features might seem a little dated. None of that bothered me a bit. 

• Like 1

We've been on the MSC orchestra (sister ship) in August and we did not feel like it was a stretched ship. We felt all was in great condition, spaces were appropriate for the amount of passengers. Before booking the cruise we were worried reading all the negative reviews, but we enjoyed the ship and the cruise very much. We have an upcoming cruise shortly on the MSC lirica in a few days and a we are very excited to try a smaller ship.

17 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Super cheap inside guarantee, and while we don't want an inside cabin, I figure I have at least a 50% shot at an upgrade.  Do you agree with those odds?

Are you planning on a free upgrade or upsell through the bidding?  I think free upgrades are going to be very rare since their policy seems to be keep higher cabin prices high, oversell the lower cabin guarantees and rely on bidding upsells to fill the higher cabins that don't sell outright.

• 1 month later...

Prior to the pandemic, like you I booked an inside for October 2021 and now with the sad current events and cruise lines facing harder times ahead, I wonder if the stretch will still happen.  They may not have cash flow to do this upgrade when things settle into a new normal.

At this time, of course the focus is on finding a vaccine and keeping safe, but my mind wanders to the future.

Edited by poffles

On 2/25/2020 at 2:39 PM, cruisesafer said:

We've been on the MSC orchestra (sister ship) in August and we did not feel like it was a stretched ship. We felt all was in great condition, spaces were appropriate for the amount of passengers. Before booking the cruise we were worried reading all the negative reviews, but we enjoyed the ship and the cruise very much. We have an upcoming cruise shortly on the MSC lirica in a few days and a we are very excited to try a smaller ship.

As of yet none of the Musica class have been stretched, Magnifica will be the first.

The others, Musica, Poesia and Orchestra may follow

59 minutes ago, poffles said:

Prior to the pandemic, like you I booked an inside for October 2021 and now with the sad current events and cruise lines facing harder times ahead, I wonder if the stretch will still happen.  They may not have cash flow to do this upgrade when things settle into a new normal.

At this time, of course the focus is on finding a vaccine and keeping safe, but my mind wanders to the future.

I have to say, I also wonder if the stretch will go ahead now... Don't want to be all doom and gloom, but logistically with other projects in shipyards now bound to fall behind. And then also financially as well?

25 minutes ago, JP82 said:

I have to say, I also wonder if the stretch will go ahead now... Don't want to be all doom and gloom, but logistically with other projects in shipyards now bound to fall behind. And then also financially as well?

Oh I hadn't even considered logistics of other projects in the shipyards.