AVOID NCL ENCORE AT ALL COSTS

crusintime123

10 minutes ago, eroller said:

It's a strange phenomenon I've seen with pretty much every cruise line.  Certain people will get very defensive and protective over "their" ship and cruise line, and protect & defend it like it's a newborn child.  One tactic they use is to try and discredit the perpetrator, because if it didn't happen to them, or it doesn't apply to them, then no way can it be legitimate.  It could be a fascinating study in human sociology. 

So you are saying that two people on the same ship can't have a difference experience and opinion.  You are doing the same thing that you are accusing others of doing......if what happened to the OP doesn't apply to them, no way can it be legitimate and you saying they should be discredited.  I've seen glowing reviews and other posters have posted that they had an awful experience who are they protective of, if those who post positives are very protective of NCL.

If someone does a review, I see no reason why someone who has had different experiences on the same ship and possibly the same cruise, should post what happened to them, good or bad as it gives a balance of experiences and opinions.  

Just MHO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

So you are saying that two people on the same ship can't have a difference experience and opinion.  

Absolutely two people on the same ship can have two very different experiences.  If you read my post I'm saying that certain people will try to discredit a reviewer whose opinion differs from their own, and defend "their" cruise line if anything negative is said about it.   

It's perfectly fine if one person has a positive experience and another negative.  That is life.  Trying to discredit the person with the opposite opinion is the problem I have. 

Sounds like you are defending the behavior to discredit someone else's opinion that doesn't agree with your own. I don't agree with that.  

Just MHO 

Edited by eroller
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, eroller said:

Absolutely two people on the same ship can have two very different experiences.  If you read my post I'm saying that certain people will try to discredit a reviewer whose opinion differs from their own, and defend "their" cruise line if anything negative is said about it.   

What I read was, if posters you call "certain people,"  who we don't know who you are talking about are on the same cruise or have cruised the ship and their experiences/opions should be discredited because they are positive.  OMG.  I wonder if you feel the same about posters that always post negative reviews/opinions/comments....that they have an agenda as well, because there are a few "certain people" who never post one thing positive.

Edited by NLH Arizona

9 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

What I read was, if posters you call "certain people,"  who we don't know who you are talking about are on the same cruise or have cruised the ship and their experiences/opions should be discredited because they are positive.  OMG.  I wonder if you feel the same about posters that always post negative reviews/opinions/comments....that they have an agenda as well.

Yes certain people will try to discredit any reviewer or opinion that doesn't agree with their own regarding their preferred cruise line and/or ship of choice.  It could be positive or negative.  Pretty simple and you have been around here long enough to know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.  No I don't agree with that.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion without getting attacked and discredited.    

I never mentioned anything about "agenda".  You did.  I'm talking about behaviors.  Maybe there are agendas on both sides?  Maybe you have one?  You seem to have read what you wanted to ... perhaps what you thought pertained to you.  If the shoe fits.    

Edited by eroller
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, eroller said:

Yes certain people will try to discredit any reviewer or opinion that doesn't agree with their own regarding their preferred cruise line and/or ship of choice.  Pretty simple and you have been around here long enough to know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

I never mentioned anything about "agenda".  You did.  I'm talking about behaviors.  Maybe there are agendas on both sides?  Maybe you have one?  If the shoe fits.   

No agenda, just questioning why you seem to think if someone writes a negative opinion/review/experience and someone, whether "certain people" or not with a positive opinion/review/experience is trying to discredit them, but I've never seen you post the same feelings about someone who posts a positive review/opinion/experience and a few tell about their negative opinion/review/experience, which you uually agree with those posters with who write negative responses.

I can see, we will never agree on this, as I feel there are some on both sides that are some who are very protective of NCL and those on the other side that hate them so much that everything is negative.   

Have a great day.

Edited by NLH Arizona

49 minutes ago, eroller said:

It's a strange phenomenon I've seen with pretty much every cruise line.  Certain people will get very defensive and protective over "their" ship and cruise line, and protect & defend it like it's a newborn child.  One tactic they use is to try and discredit the perpetrator, because if it didn't happen to them, or it doesn't apply to them, then no way can it be legitimate.  It could be a fascinating study in human sociology. 

Agree 100%.

In practice, human psychology is both fascinating and frustrating.  So many people have such a difficult time keeping an open mind be it cruise lines, politics, sport teams, etc.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mianmike said:

Agree 100%.

In practice, human psychology is both fascinating and frustrating.  So many people have such a difficult time keeping an open mind be it cruise lines, politics, sport teams, etc.   

So true.  It is interesting to get behind the behaviors that people demonstrate regarding loyalties, whether it be to a person which I think is far more relatable, or to companies which I find much more puzzling and complex.  You said it perfectly ... "fascinating and frustrating".    

11 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

No agenda, just questioning why you seem to think if someone writes a negative opinion/review/experience and someone, whether "certain people" or not with a positive opinion/review/experience is trying to discredit them, but I've never seen you post the same feelings about someone who posts a positive review/opinion/experience and a few tell about their negative opinion/review/experience, which you uually agree with those posters with who write negative responses.

Oh so this is about me personally?  Interesting.  I didn't realize you followed my postings on CC so closely.  I guess I should be flattered.   Anyway I'll leave it at that.  You have a great day as well.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mdchachi said:

Much easier. For some reason people haven’t gotten the memo about skin cancer and premature aging caused by the sun. 

nice, I prefer a shaded spot, which is why I usually hang out at Waterfront...but I'll take a shaded lounger over one in full sun 

• Like 1

Sometimes I miss cruises from the 90's. From what (little ) I remember it was quite simple. I remember awesome FREE food that was INCLUDED. 24 hour REAL PIZZA. Lots of chairs and outside space.

I made my own UBP by bringing aboard some rum that I purchased in port and mixed my own drinks with no charge. Slept for a few hours under a piano once but I was young so it was oaky.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, JCDCA said:

Outside of all the bickering...for anyone who has actually been on this ship, how early does one need to board to get Vibe passes in your opinion?

There has been conflicting reports on this.  Some have said that it has been sold out in the 1st hour.  Others have said that it was still available day 2.  The rule of thumb is that, if Vibe is important to you, get to the pier early to be one of the early groups. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HowardK said:

Sometimes I miss cruises from the 90's. From what (little ) I remember it was quite simple. I remember awesome FREE food that was INCLUDED. 24 hour REAL PIZZA. Lots of chairs and outside space.

I made my own UBP by bringing aboard some rum that I purchased in port and mixed my own drinks with no charge. Slept for a few hours under a piano once but I was young so it was oaky.

I miss some of the niceties, but I certainly don't miss the prices they were charging back in the day.

15 hours ago, JCDCA said:

Outside of all the bickering...for anyone who has actually been on this ship, how early does one need to board to get Vibe passes in your opinion?

We got to the port at about 10:30 I think and were in boarding group 10. We went right to Q on boarding to get the passes. We got four and they said half had gone when we got there, out of 240 that they were selling.

I got there at 10 am, boarding group four. Picked up tickets 70-76. If vibe is important to you, you probably want to be there by 10 or 10:30....

Also, to note, it was lovely arriving so early and just walking through to the check in desk, no lines, no waits. The waiting area is decent and the time between 10 and 11 flys by. I think they started boarding the first group just after 11. 

When we walked on deck 6, small lines at the social, small lines at guest services, small lines at tempanyaki , so things can be done quickly. 30 minutes later, all lines were much longer. So maybe by arriving early if you can, lets you max out your first day on the ship, as any administrative stuff you have to do can be done so quickly. 

We went to the observation lounge once all that was done, and grabbed a snack in an almost deserted space, and discovered the AWESOME bar, bartenders, and incredible views.

Also, I understand my personal experience was the exact opposite of the OP’s. But they explained why they hated their cruise, and on my thread, I explained why I loved it. Both provide (I think) valuable information so other cruisers can read it, and decide if the ship is right for their own group. 

Or even the type of cruise they take on this ship. I would not have thought of that, except someone previously mentioned that they would not take a Caribbean cruise on this ship, but they would take an Alaskan cruise. I would add to this: a port intensive cruise, like a Mediterranean one, would also be good if you were not vibing or havening it. The indoor spaces and design of this ship is lovely, in my opinion. (edited to add here: along with the best overall service I have ever experienced on the ship, the best food (and we have sailed Oceania) and the most magical thing, the entertainment - loved it )

This is only my second NCL cruise, and I have no reason to campaign on their behalf, I just really enjoyed my entire experience. I have no spoon in the pudding, so to speak.

Negative reviews are just as informative as positive reviews on these forums. It’s the information that is so helpful to decide if that ship, or that itinerary, or that room type, or that restaurant is going to be a good fit for your own family. JMHO

Feel free to have at me! 

~A

Edited by Cookie002
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Cookie002 said:

I got there at 10 am, boarding group four. Picked up tickets 70-76. If vibe is important to you, you probably want to be there by 10 or 10:30....

Also, to note, it was lovely arriving so early and just walking through to the check in desk, no lines, no waits. The waiting area is decent and the time between 10 and 11 flys by. I think they started boarding the first group just after 11. 

When we walked on deck 6, small lines at the social, small lines at guest services, small lines at tempanyaki , so things can be done quickly. 30 minutes later, all lines were much longer. So maybe by arriving early if you can, lets you max out your first day on the ship, as any administrative stuff you have to do can be done so quickly. 

We went to the observation lounge once all that was done, and grabbed a snack in an almost deserted space, and discovered the AWESOME bar, bartenders, and incredible views.

Also, I understand my personal experience was the exact opposite of the OP’s. But they explained why they hated their cruise, and on my thread, I explained why I loved it. Both provide (I think) valuable information so other cruisers can read it, and decide if the ship is right for their own group. 

Or even the type of cruise they take on this ship. I would not have thought of that, except someone previously mentioned that they would not take a Caribbean cruise on this ship, but they would take an Alaskan cruise. I would add to this: a port intensive cruise, like a Mediterranean one, would also be good if you were not vibing or havening it. The indoor spaces and design of this ship is lovely, in my opinion. (edited to add here: along with the best overall service I have ever experienced on the ship, the best food (and we have sailed Oceania) and the most magical thing, the entertainment - loved it )

This is only my second NCL cruise, and I have no reason to campaign on their behalf, I just really enjoyed my entire experience. I have no spoon in the pudding, so to speak.

Negative reviews are just as informative as positive reviews on these forums. It’s the information that is so helpful to decide if that ship, or that itinerary, or that room type, or that restaurant is going to be a good fit for your own family. JMHO

Feel free to have at me! 

~A

Cookie, nobody should have at you.  You and everyone else has the right to post your opinions/experiences even if it is different than the original poster or another poster, because that is what Cruise Critic is all about.....reading everyone's experience whether good or bad.  Thank you for your review.

• Like 1

Encore, like Bliss, seems to be designed for more northern itineraries where lounger space isn't a premium.  So it's not a matter or 'avoid Encore', it's more choose the right ship, such as one with Spice H2O.

My only experience with Encore was the TA when the deck chairs spent most of their cruise strapped down.

I recently did the deck chair thing for the first time in forever and, well, not for me.  Same with the hot tub.  But living in Miami, those things aren't exactly exotic... 🙂

• Like 2

I don't mind reading a bad review. Most of the time it is just an opinion and it might or might not be shared.  I read a review of the cruise I was on earlier this month and a person said they wouldn't sail on NCL again because the crew wasn't "overly friendly".  I didn't find that to be the case from my experience so I ignored it.  It isn't the bad experiences posted being the issue as much as it is someone telling me that I should never sail on a particular ship or cruise line because their opinion was that the cruise or cruise line was bad.  I'd really prefer to read all of the reviews, good and bad, and my own determination that if what they didn't like would be something that I wouldn't like and then make a decision on whether I cruise on that ship or not.