Grandiosa March Italy Cruises and Coronavirus

HofstraJet

I hear you and understand. But I'll counter with this, Hofstra, maybe (just maybe) it would HELP their bottom line if they were more customer service oriented...if instead of making it secret and difficult...they were up front and open. I'm always more likely to forgive and forget when things are handled with less difficulty for everyone.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CelebrationFamily said:

I hear you and understand. But I'll counter with this, Hofstra, maybe (just maybe) it would HELP their bottom line if they were more customer service oriented...if instead of making it secret and difficult...they were up front and open. I'm always more likely to forgive and forget when things are handled with less difficulty for everyone.

I don’t disagree with you one bit. I was just providing the way they are looking at this. If anything, you would think they would be in a position to understand your point given that they are a family owned company and are not beholden to public shareholders.

Edited by HofstraJet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HofstraJet said:

My TA said that MSC will give me a credit to use on any MSC cruise within the next 12 months. I should have 100% confirmation within the next few days they said.

Does anyone know what will happen to the remainder of the funds if you choose a cruise that is less expensive than the one you canceled?  Does that translate to OBC (refundable or not), do you just lose it, cash refund (I know, Im dreaming)?

Trying to decide if we want to ask for the credit or just take the hit and lose the deposit.  I'm guessing the cruise has to be completed in 12 months time, not simply booked or even embarked.  That may cause a slight issue for us using the credit.

13 minutes ago, aprilF said:

Does anyone know what will happen to the remainder of the funds if you choose a cruise that is less expensive than the one you canceled?  Does that translate to OBC (refundable or not), do you just lose it, cash refund (I know, Im dreaming)?

Trying to decide if we want to ask for the credit or just take the hit and lose the deposit.  I'm guessing the cruise has to be completed in 12 months time, not simply booked or even embarked.  That may cause a slight issue for us using the credit.

can only speak for my situation but it has to be a cruise same price or higher. hope that helps

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, floridian1 said:

can only speak for my situation but it has to be a cruise same price or higher. hope that helps

Arg!  The same ship and dates (also surrounding dates) are $30pp less for the same room type.  The itinerary is slightly different but the night count is the same. 

1 hour ago, CelebrationFamily said:

As of this morning, AA is waving fees for flights in/out of Italy...our flights are on AA in/out of France. Sadly, I'm thinking that if we wait a little longer, that will change, too. Such a mess for everyone!

Lucky you. Here in Canadao those idiots don't even have travel advisory . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HofstraJet said:

I don’t disagree with you one bit. I was just providing the way they are looking at this. If anything, you would think they would be in a position to understand your point given that they are a family owned company and are not beholden to public shareholders.

I sounded harsher than I intended to...sorry! 🙂🙃

• Like 1

rebooked the cruise for October, it went very smoothly. and the wait time was maybe 5 minutes if that, I was very happy with the customer service from MSC. I attempted to rebook my United flight and was told they could only rebook on the 3rd of June (all the articles I have read say that you can reschedule if your flight is anytime between March 1 to June 30 and they will waive the fees) however the idiot that I got for the rebooking was very rude, he had an accent and I asked him nicely to repeat his statement a couple times. Well by the end of a 45 minute hold, he told me can't you understand, I am speaking English to you, we can't change your flight, unless you want to go on June 3rd. 

I work in the customer service industry, and know the importance of courtesy, so I was not short with him at all, I would not do that. I do not think I should have been spoken to in such a manner.  

as is I am still attempting to get my flight rescheduled.

does anyone have any suggestions on where I go from here?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, taximom61 said:

rebooked the cruise for October, it went very smoothly. and the wait time was maybe 5 minutes if that, I was very happy with the customer service from MSC. I attempted to rebook my United flight and was told they could only rebook on the 3rd of June (all the articles I have read say that you can reschedule if your flight is anytime between March 1 to June 30 and they will waive the fees) however the idiot that I got for the rebooking was very rude, he had an accent and I asked him nicely to repeat his statement a couple times. Well by the end of a 45 minute hold, he told me can't you understand, I am speaking English to you, we can't change your flight, unless you want to go on June 3rd. 

I work in the customer service industry, and know the importance of courtesy, so I was not short with him at all, I would not do that. I do not think I should have been spoken to in such a manner.  

as is I am still attempting to get my flight rescheduled.

does anyone have any suggestions on where I go from here?

We also rebooked for the Grandiosa (Oct 23) and was told by American Airlines that I could only rebook up to June  6 (Because that it the one year mark from when I purchased the tickets).  She gave me a link to send an email to Customer Relations and she said they would extend that date given the circumstances   Once they do, I will be able to rebook the flights to BCN with no change fee.   I hope this helps.  Suggest you email United's Customer Relations team.

Does anyone know if you have to book within 12 months or sail within 12 months? Thanks!  

PS - My TA is still waiting for MSC to process my credit. Sailing is Monday. Ugh.

Edited by HofstraJet
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, HofstraJet said:

Does anyone know if you have to book within 12 months or sail within 12 months? Thanks!  

PS - My TA is still waiting for MSC to process my credit. Sailing is Monday. Ugh.

They are saying you can book anytime, but you have to sail within 12 months of your original booking.

Also, FWIW, the TA line to get through to MSC is hours long wait.  The Customer 844 number  is easier.  We got through in less than 10 mins,  

38 minutes ago, trintrav said:

They are saying you can book anytime, but you have to sail within 12 months of your original booking.

Also, FWIW, the TA line to get through to MSC is hours long wait.  The Customer 844 number  is easier.  We got through in less than 10 mins,  

Thanks!  I called last week, got right through, then got sent to the crisis line, waited an hour, and was told my TA had to call. TA has been in email contact with MSC and they said they would handle, but haven’t yet. So frustrating. Worried that MSC is going to screw up and then shrug their shoulders leaving me stuck. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trintrav said:

We also rebooked for the Grandiosa (Oct 23) and was told by American Airlines that I could only rebook up to June  6 (Because that it the one year mark from when I purchased the tickets).  She gave me a link to send an email to Customer Relations and she said they would extend that date given the circumstances   Once they do, I will be able to rebook the flights to BCN with no change fee.   I hope this helps.  Suggest you email United's Customer Relations team.

Welcome to the cruise for October 23rd. We too will be sailing aboard Grandiosa. It's just so unfortunate that things have developed to the level we all find ourselves in right now. Hopefully this situation will get under control before then.

On 2/26/2020 at 4:25 PM, HofstraJet said:

I am booked on the March 9 sailing from Palermo with stops in Valletta, Barcelona, Marseille, Genoa, and Rome. The ship seems to be doing the same circuit throughout March.

I'm concerned about the recent Coronavirus outbreak in Italy and how that might affect the entire cruise, the itinerary, and/or my return to the US after visiting a country where Coronavirus has been present.

Any ideas on how proactive MSC may be on this and what their threshold for cancellation might be?  Would they let me cancel with no penalty given the situation, whether for full credit or an outright refund?

Thanks!

Hi, 

please can you post an update on your travels and if any ports were changed 

33 minutes ago, wirral36 said:

...please can you post an update on your travels and if any ports were changed 

It looks like all Italian ports will be cancelled since MSC no longer allows anyone on the ship who has been anywhere in Italy in the past 14 days.  But this may be lifted by the time you sail in May.

We are denying boarding to anyone from high-risk areas:

• Anyone who has traveled to, from or through mainland ChinaHong KongMacau, Iran, South Korea and Italy (or transited via airports) in the past 14 days, or visited, will be denied access to the ship. The same rules apply to such passengers’ travel companions (parent, spouse, child, siblings, or a companion who shares a stateroom) PLEASE NOTE: Travelers choosing to travel with their Italian passport but residing elsewhere must show official proof of residency. Residency must not be in one of the above countries. Travel history must also show that travelers did not come through one of those territories during the past 14 days;

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/About-MSC/News/Coronavirus-Outbreak-China.aspx

This is from the UK site.

We are refusing people who come from high-risk areas:

• For more than a month we refuse embarkation to people coming from high-risk areas. Anyone who has travelled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Iran in the past 14 days, or visited or transited via airports, are denied access to the ship. The same rules apply to such guests’ travel companions (parent, spouse, child, siblings, or a companion who shares a cabin);

• Anyone who has travelled to, from or through any towns under lockdown (quarantine) by the Italian Government, as designated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the past 14 days, are also denied access;

• Anyone who, within 14 days before embarkation, has had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19, are denied boarding.

• For guests embarking on MSC Bellissima and MSC Lirica from Dubai only. On top of the restrictions above we are denying boarding also to anyone who lives in, or has travelled to, from or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran and Italy. This restriction does not apply if guests have only transited in sterile areas of relevant mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Iran airports as coming from other non affected areas.

Italy on lockdown. This is going to be nuts. 
yup, no boarding in Italian ports.
And all the countries near Italy have alredy/will put you in 14 day quarantine if you enter from Italy.

Poslano sa mog RNE-L21 koristeći Tapatalk

The reason I booked the Grandiosa was  because it was to meant call at Naples so we can visit Pompeii. If it does not call there then I will cancel. 
Does anyone have any news about itinerary alterations?

Edited by Number34
Typo

46 minutes ago, Number34 said:

The reason I booked the Grandiosa was  because it was to meant call at Naples so we can visit Pompeii. If it does not call there then I will cancel. 
Does anyone have any news about itinerary alterations?

The Prime Minister of Italy just banned any sort of large gatherings throughout the country. No nightclubs, nothing. I imagine that all museums and historical sites will be shut down.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51810673

edit, confirmed. All museums and historical sites are closed until April 3.

https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/romes-museums-fall-silent.html

Edited by larrywizzit

2 minutes ago, CelebrationFamily said:

I see the Grandiosa will be in Mallorca tomorrow...was this stop on their original itinerary?

The ship was due in Malta today but the Government there have introduced a travel ban from Italy! The ship was due in Genoa on Saturday but that will not happen now. I think Palma is one of the ports on the Itinerary.

12 minutes ago, sidari said:

The ship was due in Malta today but the Government there have introduced a travel ban from Italy! The ship was due in Genoa on Saturday but that will not happen now. I think Palma is one of the ports on the Itinerary.

We are due to join the ship on Thursday in Barcelona, ports should be Marseille, Genoa, Civitavecchia, Palermo and Valetta.  Not a word from MSC about what's happening. Very frustrating!