Those traveling in March or April: thoughts?

BermudaBound2014

1 hour ago, BoundForSea said:

So I may have missed something, but I haven’t seen MSC offering any relief to cancelling inside 90 days, or moving the cruise to another days past final payment. NCL has offered loosened restrictions on those plus nake changes to a reservation. We are paid for May and Im wondering how we could move the trio to say September if we wanted, as I haven’t seen any relief advertised. 

At present, the only dates for making changes are for March and April Med cruise dates.  I think they, like the rest of us, or assessing a week at a time.  Read back to page 2 where I mentioned reading a letter about the ability to change March April dates. There is further support of that through yesterday's threads.

• Like 1

I’m in a similar situation as many of you all here. Cruising from Barcelona with 3 stops in Italy (one in Northern Italy - Genoa) on May 11th.  Now that the state department has issued a Level 3 travel warning for the whole of Italy and a Level 4 for Milan and Venice, I’m really surprised that MSC hasn’t made decisions yet. I called today and they informed me that it’s still “business as usual”, which surprised me. 

I’d LOVE to go, but if the current situation is like this or worsens soon, I may just choose to eat some cancellation fees. Ugh. 

9 hours ago, LAOkie said:

I’m in a similar situation as many of you all here. Cruising from Barcelona with 3 stops in Italy (one in Northern Italy - Genoa) on May 11th.  Now that the state department has issued a Level 3 travel warning for the whole of Italy and a Level 4 for Milan and Venice, I’m really surprised that MSC hasn’t made decisions yet. I called today and they informed me that it’s still “business as usual”, which surprised me. 

I’d LOVE to go, but if the current situation is like this or worsens soon, I may just choose to eat some cancellation fees. Ugh. 

I do not think that for MSC is business as usual. They know what is going on with their ships, being refused entry on ports, with the Italian nationals being denied boarding on Italian ships (!) and with countries advising against traveling to important ports in Italy like Venice.

MSC shall cancel any cruise which was going through the Mediterranean for March and April, refund the money or give a certificate which is valid at least until the end of 2021.

12 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I do not think that for MSC is business as usual. They know what is going on with their ships, being refused entry on ports, with the Italian nationals being denied boarding on Italian ships (!) and with countries advising against traveling to important ports in Italy like Venice.

MSC shall cancel any cruise which was going through the Mediterranean for March and April, refund the money or give a certificate which is valid at least until the end of 2021.

I agree about how MSC is not business as usual.

I was due to embark in Genoa (Northern Italy) yesterday, with a flight to Milan. Based on the based outbreak there was last week, we decided it was going to be very hard to want to travel through those areas to reach the port. Plus, the thought of the ship doing the same route every week (which may have picked up guests from those regions the previous week), and people leaving, departing all the time made this a very risky situation for us.

Sadly, although I have cruised many times before, this was due to be my first time on MSC with the newest ship, MSC Grandiosa. We had been looking forward to the trips for months, but sadly it just wasn't meant to be. MSC were not forthcoming in offering a credit to move at all, so I doubt I would sail with them given how inflexible they were given this situation. We will be massively out of pocket for this one. 

1 hour ago, teddyd33 said:

I was due to embark in Genoa (Northern Italy) yesterday, with a flight to Milan. Based on the based outbreak there was last week, we decided it was going to be very hard to want to travel through those areas to reach the port. Plus, the thought of the ship doing the same route every week (which may have picked up guests from those regions the previous week), and people leaving, departing all the time made this a very risky situation for us.

Sadly, although I have cruised many times before, this was due to be my first time on MSC with the newest ship, MSC Grandiosa. We had been looking forward to the trips for months, but sadly it just wasn't meant to be. MSC were not forthcoming in offering a credit to move at all, so I doubt I would sail with them given how inflexible they were given this situation. We will be massively out of pocket for this one. 

That is disgraceful of MSC and literally putting profit over peoples lives here.

Assuming your insurance wont cover it either if MSC are still willing to sail?

18 minutes ago, WH_Cruise said:

That is disgraceful of MSC and literally putting profit over peoples lives here.

Assuming your insurance wont cover it either if MSC are still willing to sail?

Yes, the insurance are unlikely to cover it given MSC are willing to sail. There is a clause that you can cancel it if it is within a certain radius of the "avoid all essential travel areas" (which Genoa is close to). Unfortunately, Genoa was just outside the zone.

I was extremely surprised, as I thought MSC would have allowed for some sort of back-credit for UK guests to use in a year given these extreme risk. I didn't fancy the risk of flying us flying into Milan, then getting the train down which is close to the outbreak areas. Plus, we wouldn't have wanted to risk anyone else on the ship if we were travelling very close to the areas (I thought MSC would have been happy for us to make this decision, not penalise us!).

I'm guessing other guests may have more flexibility, given they may have a sailing date that is further in advance. Given ours was less than a week when the Italian outbreak occurred, we were very unlucky!

2 hours ago, teddyd33 said:

I am very sorry to hear your experience. I understand that in USA, MSC has told travel agents that for those cruises in March and April in the Mediterranean they have made special conditions. Are you from USA?

12 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I am very sorry to hear your experience. I understand that in USA, MSC has told travel agents that for those cruises in March and April in the Mediterranean they have made special conditions. Are you from USA?

No, based in the UK so they must have a different policy than the USA agents 😔

7 hours ago, teddyd33 said:

No, based in the UK so they must have a different policy than the USA agents 😔

And yesterday was still February....if they did offer it and were picky on dates 🙁

To me it would depend on my age/health and where the heck I was going, even then I would not cancel until the last minute unless there was some financial benefit.  Does it really matter if you cancel 3 weeks before the cruise if nothing is refundable? Nope, just wait and hope for a change by either the cruise line or the airline. I know if you are flying say AA and the flight gets delayed by more than 2 hours you can cancel then for a full refund. 

• Like 1

Leaving in less than two weeks (maybe) on the Seaside out of Miami.   Like others, I'm not as afraid of the virus itself as I am of the idea of being quarantined - anywhere.  Have discussed potential for extra long absence with the pet-sitters - but it's still an awful thought.  Going with a group and while many would  (perhaps) be relieved if the whole thing was canceled - no one seems to be in favor of bailing .... yet.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 12:49 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

You and I are in a similar boat (pun intended). I'm sailing seaside a few weeks before you so I will have to make my decision sooner. I'm pretty sure at least a few of my girlfriends are going to cancel, even though I am trying to get them to  wait and see. The fact that we won't lose airfare is a big plus for us. We will loose money paid to MSC, but we booked fantastica balconies at a rate of $529 pp so even if we loose ALL Of that  and cancel on the last day it won't be a major hit (port taxes and fees will be returned to anyone who cancels). I mean, no one wants to lose $500, but it's an easier pill to swallow.

I think the next few weeks will tell a lot, but I would be lying if I told you I wasn't apprehensive. So many unknowns.

We are sailing Seaside in a few weeks and will lose all of our money if we do not go.  It is very tense, when we should be excited.

• Like 1

This thread is for those cruising in March and April to discuss plans, cancellation issues, cruise itinerary changes and not a discussion of debate 're statistics, the accuracy of that info, etc.  Thank you for keeping this on topIc for those who need the information on upcoming travel

• Like 4

I called my big box TA today and was able to have my Mediterranean MSC Grandiosa trip moved from 4/2/20 to 6/5/21 with no penalties.  It took my TA over 1.5 hours to get it done but mission accomplished!  Although I'm bummed that I have to wait 15 months to go on this trip instead of 1, I am really thankful to MSC for allowing me to move the reservation.  This will be my first trip with them and so far I am very pleased.  Good luck to all y'all with your trips and wish me luck with dealing w AA for my flights!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ocwanda said:

I called my big box TA today and was able to have my Mediterranean MSC Grandiosa trip moved from 4/2/20 to 6/5/21 with no penalties.  It took my TA over 1.5 hours to get it done but mission accomplished!  Although I'm bummed that I have to wait 15 months to go on this trip instead of 1, I am really thankful to MSC for allowing me to move the reservation.  This will be my first trip with them and so far I am very pleased.  Good luck to all y'all with your trips and wish me luck with dealing w AA for my flights!

Thank you so much for the data point.  Wow, so they allowed rebooking of a cruise more than 12 months out?  Can you say if your rebooked cruise was less, the same or more money than the cancelled cruise?

• Like 1

We moved our grandiosa march cruise to october on an older ship (seaview) for more money than what I paid for grandiosa. Same cabin category. Not happy at all about this..but certainly not MSC's fault. Now I have to hope no hurricanes will come near my home at that time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, floridian1 said:

We moved our grandiosa march cruise to october on an older ship (seaview) for more money than what I paid for grandiosa. Same cabin category. Not happy at all about this..but certainly not MSC's fault. Now I have to hope no hurricanes will come near my home at that time.

After last year I just cant do September/ early Oct cruises anymore.  Too stressful!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aprilF said:

Thank you so much for the data point.  Wow, so they allowed rebooking of a cruise more than 12 months out?  Can you say if your rebooked cruise was less, the same or more money than the cancelled cruise?

It was more for a different category. I had an Aurea experience BA and a similar cabin in June 2021 was $300 less than what I previously paid. A YC cabin was $1400 more. I really wanted a YC cabin for April's trip but had been priced out. So now I jumped on the opportunity to book YC within my budget!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ocwanda said:

It was more for a different category. I had an Aurea experience BA and a similar cabin in June 2021 was $300 less than what I previously paid. A YC cabin was $1400 more. I really wanted a YC cabin for April's trip but had been priced out. So now I jumped on the opportunity to book YC within my budget!

I have a Whirlpool suite and that is what Id really like and what we currently have.  Not sure Id want to move to YC for more if that's even an option.  Thanks for replying!  🙂

• Like 1

We are set to fly from Miami to Barcelona and leave on the Opera 4/6, RT with stops in Palma, Marseilles, & Genoa.  Right now we are a month out and proceeding as planned....Things could change so much in a month!

I did consider making an upgrade offer from OV to Balcony, but I don't like not being able to choose the location (which side of the ship).  I also wouldn't be bothered by itinerary changes as long as we still go to Palma, I am looking forward to seeing the island. 

• Like 1

For US cruisers, some important info - the VP just did a press conference announcing that he's going to meet with the CEOs from various cruise lines on Saturday. Hopefully those of us (myself included) with upcoming cruises will have more info by then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1