Those traveling in March or April: thoughts?

BermudaBound2014

Hi

thanks for all the info and updates on these threads. I have a cruise booked on MSC Preziosa in May---the cruise has been paid in full. I know it's not going to any Italian port, but at the moment I don't feel like I want to go on a cruise ship to anywhere.! I am hoping that MSC will maybe allow me to move the cruise to a later date. I have also booked a Princess cruise to the med in august and payment due for that at the end of april,not sure what to do about that either---scarey times.

MSC is not offering ANY flexibility now - when literally every other cruise line out there is working with passengers so they can actually enjoy their vacations.  Not MSC.  -  This is my first potential cruise with them. IF it happens - It WILL be my last with them! 

16 minutes ago, sb1961 said:

MSC is not offering ANY flexibility now - when literally every other cruise line out there is working with passengers so they can actually enjoy their vacations.  Not MSC.  -  This is my first potential cruise with them. IF it happens - It WILL be my last with them! 

Wait until Monday and their announcement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sb1961 said:

We sail in April on the Seaview. Spain, Italy and France. They said right now only Mediterranean cruises can have a full refund or future credit for March and April sailings only. 

7 hours ago, DKNE said:

We sail in April on the Seaview. Spain, Italy and France. They said right now only Mediterranean cruises can have a full refund or future credit for March and April sailings only. 

Where did you see they are giving  refunds?

• Like 2

My group is ready to bail for our April trip. Me, not so much. I am a believer in 'life must go on' rule.  Just holding out to see what MSC offers tomorrow. I can speak for he 7 others in my group, if MSC does not offer CFAR they will never ever consider a MSC ship again. 

2 hours ago, HofstraJet said:

No refunds just future cruise credit! or cancel and lose deposit. Currently the UK website has no restrictions on Italian nationals being allowed to board ships unlike the USA site. Talk about a mixed up mess.

8 minutes ago, sidari said:

No refunds just future cruise credit! or cancel and lose deposit. Currently the UK website has no restrictions on Italian nationals being allowed to board ships unlike the USA site. Talk about a mixed up mess.

Are the major players offering refunds? I thought they were sticking with FCC too. 

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Are the major players offering refunds? I thought they were sticking with FCC too. 

BB ... No refunds if turned away at the port if you have a high temperature according to MSC UK !

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I was told this over the phone (and other posters on here have mentioned this). If you are not allowed on the ship, such as if you have a cough etc, you will be denied embarkation and no refund, and no FCC will be offered. This was from the UK centre. 

Even Costa Cruises says explicitly they will refund you the cruise ship, and all transport if you are denied embarkation.

This is what worried me before my cruise, as what incentives are there for someone to not admit they may be at risk of the virus, if MSC says explicitly you aren't getting a refund if you do admit it!

Most other big players (Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity) are offering you to cancel the trip up to 2 days before departure (up to 31st July) and will offer either a FCC or refund. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HofstraJet said:

I phoned them myself. 100% refund if MSC sails to Italy. Or you can chose to rebook another sailing date with no charge. However if price is higher, you pay the difference. 

That helps trigger more distress - people mixing up information. Using different  sources in a very fluid situation that is ever changing and includes various factors is not very helpful. Its a setup.  Maybe a break until Monday will be more productive.

31 minutes ago, blueslily said:

That helps trigger more distress - people mixing up information. Using different  sources in a very fluid situation that is ever changing and includes various factors is not very helpful. Its a setup.  Maybe a break until Monday will be more productive.

Don’t make sensible suggestions. This is the internet. 😁🤪

1 hour ago, sidari said:

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/news/embarking-guests

Anyone who has travelled to, from or through any towns under lockdown (quarantine) by the Italian Government, as designated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the past 14 days, are also denied access

1 hour ago, mafig said:

Here's what I got from the meeting.

The cruiselines were given 72 hours to come up with a plan for getting quarantined passengers off the ship.

Did I get this right?

Pretty much, except the 'plan' seemed more inclusive to me. As in, cruise industry needs a better plan in general, not just for the Grand. I don't think it's a coincidence that there have been problems with so many ships this weekend.

Celebrity Silhouette: Returned to port twice to debark passengers. On modified itinerary.

Regal Princess: Has not been allowed to debark. Waiting on corona test results. This week's cruise cancelled.

Royal Princess: Debarked in Long Island, but did not embark. This weeks cruise is cancelled.

Carnival Panorama: Debarkation was postponed by a full day. This week's cruise on 6 day itinerary.

Grand Princess: In quarantine

I'm sure i"m missing other interruptions, these are the big ones I'm aware of.

BTW: I previously stated that MSC would not be at the table with the other cruise lines based on an article I read, but I just saw this and that is definitely Mr. Sasso (currently with MSC, formally with Celebrity)

image.png.5a27e9d765a077df83f97d40d2ee8492.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sb1961 said:

I am feeling the same way. I am set to sail April 25 and is getting very worried. MSC sames to be the only cruise line not working on bending their cancellation or date changing policy due to the corona outbreak. This is my very first sailing but if MSC do not make some changes to their policy, this is going to be my last.

8 hours ago, teddyd33 said:

This is what worried me before my cruise, as what incentives are there for someone to not admit they may be at risk of the virus, if MSC says explicitly you aren't getting a refund if you do admit it!

Most other big players (Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity) are offering you to cancel the trip up to 2 days before departure (up to 31st July) and will offer either a FCC or refund. 

I'm cruising in 1 week and have no plans to cancel unless we are truly ill. But I really want a good refund policy now for the sake of anyone who SHOULD cancel and will mask their exposure or symptoms instead of losing their money.

7 hours ago, blueslily said:

Maybe a break until Monday will be more productive.

Agreed, it's time to take a day and wait and see. I still think they'll do the right thing.

7 hours ago, mafig said:

Here's what I got from the meeting.

The cruiselines were given 72 hours to come up with a plan for getting quarantined passengers off the ship.

Did I get this right?

I followed that Japan Princess quarantine a little too closely and getting quarantined to our cabins is my biggest concern. Would love to hear any plans they have to make sure that doesn't happen to us.

31 minutes ago, mamaneedsavacay said:

I'm cruising in 1 week and have no plans to cancel unless we are truly ill. But I really want a good refund policy now for the sake of anyone who SHOULD cancel and will mask their exposure or symptoms instead of losing their money.

Agreed, it's time to take a day and wait and see. I still think they'll do the right thing.

I followed that Japan Princess quarantine a little too closely and getting quarantined to our cabins is my biggest concern. Would love to hear any plans they have to make sure that doesn't happen to us.

There are no plans to ensure that if you get sick you will not be quarantined to your room. No one will come to get you and take you out of the ship either, because there is the warning: not to travel by ship. If you decide to cruise, it is your own risk. Better inform yourself about the other Princess ship which is near San Francisco and make an informed decision.

1 minute ago, travelberlin said:

There are no plans to ensure that if you get sick you will not be quarantined to your room. No one will come to get you and take you out of the ship either, because there is the warning: not to travel by ship. If you decide to cruise, it is your own risk. Better inform yourself about the other Princess ship which is near San Francisco and make an informed decision.

Sorry, I meant quarantine as part of a whole ship situation. If I were to be sick myself, I would fully expect to be quarantined to my cabin or the med center until I could disembark. I have trip insurance for that.

I don't know the latest on the San Fran situation, will have to look that up next. 

13 hours ago, LAOkie said:

This just in from the US State Department. They’re urging all US citizens to stay off of cruise ships. I’m sure there will now be even more updates. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

I apologize for not reading through all pages off this thread.  I jumped from page 3 to 6.

Isn't this post misleading?  I looked at the link and it's for international travel.  We are booked for a cruise this Sunday, March 15, and again on April 4.  We are looking forward to them.

16 minutes ago, lifeasme123 said:

Isn't this post misleading?  I looked at the link and it's for international travel.  We are booked for a cruise this Sunday, March 15, and again on April 4.  We are looking forward to them.

For USA citizens: Any MSC  cruise leaving from the United States is considered international travel. The CDC has advised that US citizens not travel by cruise ship. This isn't a direct travel ban, just an advisory. I recommend travelers check both their health insurance and travel insurance for coverage. Some policies have some sticky parts when it comes to traveling where the USA has told us not to.

image.png.d528d2788abc285873c14a7496d627a5.png

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

For USA citizens: Any MSC  cruise leaving from the United States is considered international travel. The CDC has advised that US citizens not travel by cruise ship. This isn't a direct travel ban, just an advisory. I recommend travelers check both their health insurance and travel insurance for coverage. Some policies have some sticky parts when it comes to traveling where the USA has told us not to.

image.png.d528d2788abc285873c14a7496d627a5.png

GTK.  Never thought a cruise from US port is considered international travel since no passport is required.  Learn something each day!

Not worried...we are going on the cruises.