RCL Stock

heidikay

SEC filing today:

On August 5, 2024, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (the “Company”) entered into privately negotiated exchange agreements (the “Exchange Agreements”) with a limited number of existing holders (the “Noteholders”) of its 6.000% Convertible Senior Notes due 2025 (the “2025 Notes”), pursuant to which the Noteholders have agreed to exchange (the “Exchange”) approximately $731 million in aggregate principal amount of the outstanding 2025 Notes for a combination of cash and shares of the Company’s common stock (the “Exchange Consideration”). The Exchange Consideration to be delivered by the Company to the Noteholders at the closing of the Exchange will be determined based upon the volume-weighted average price per share of the Company’s common stock during a five-trading day averaging period, commencing on August 6, 2024. The cash portion of the Exchange Consideration will represent the par amount of the 2025 Notes being repurchased and the actual number of shares of the Company’s common stock comprising the Exchange Consideration will be determined after the averaging period based on trading prices of the Company’s common stock. The Company intends to fund the cash portion of the Exchange Consideration with borrowings under its revolving credit facilities. The closing of the Exchange is expected to occur on or about August 16, 2024, subject to customary closing conditions, and will reduce the Company’s weighted average shares outstanding on a fully diluted basis.

Lol yes I saw rcl on CNBC just now with cramer liking it. Says people who cant afford it arent the ones cruising. Or some such. He thinks the talk about recession overblown. 

I averaged down Friday at close 138.xx hurts to pay so much. I had 300 and must have sold before I bought the new condo then waited until after I closed to sell my house 2 months later. I paid 130, 152, 138, and 138. 

Now if only I can get the rcl folks to add my obc for sept. Who replied with how much obc I get by length of cruise yesterday instead of applying the obc. Why would they not just apply the obc and if they thought I was asking sure add the amounts...do it. Grrr. 

20240806_095641692.jpeg

27 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol yes I saw rcl on CNBC just now with cramer liking it. Says people who cant afford it arent the ones cruising. Or some such. He thinks the talk about recession overblown. 

One should never dismiss any potential customer, even those whom at the present time might not be able to afford cruising.

The attitude was one of ego and arrogance. It reeked of "Our cruise experiences are not designed for the commoners who might be affected by a tight economy so our bookings won't be affected."

I still shop for a good deal on my cruises. If the prices go up too much, I would have to cut back on the amount of cruises in the future. Enough people like me could affect their bottom line.

Not good PR in any case.

15 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

One should never dismiss any potential customer, even those whom at the present time might not be able to afford cruising.

The attitude was one of ego and arrogance. It reeked of "Our cruise experiences are not designed for the commoners who might be affected by a tight economy so our bookings won't be affected."

I still shop for a good deal on my cruises. If the prices go up too much, I would have to cut back on the amount of cruises in the future. Enough people like me could affect their bottom line.

Not good PR in any case.

I think he didnt dismiss them at all. His point was fear of a recession is overblown. He doesnt think the average cruiser is hurting that much and they can afford this experience. I didnt take it the way you are at all. 

I am rereading what you said. Cramer is a CNBC employee. Who are you speaking of that is arrogant. Cramer? Hes the one I mentioned seeing. He can be arrogant but not sure how much he cruises.

I'm not even sure why this is such good news. Issuing more stock? Where is the stock coming from being exchanged.  Rereading the news. Burst thru 153. Someone is sure buying. Hard to predict here for me. Take profits and run and rebuy lower or wait. August is a funny month. 

Edited by firefly333

16 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I think he didnt dismiss them at all. His point was fear of a recession is overblown. He doesnt think the average cruiser is hurting that much and they can afford this experience. I didnt take it the way you are at all. 

I am rereading what you said. Cramer is a CNBC employee. Who are you speaking of that is arrogant. Cramer? Hes the one I mentioned seeing. He can be arrogant but not sure how much he cruises.

I'm not even sure why this is such good news. Issuing more stock? Where is the stock coming from being exchanged.  Rereading the news. Burst thru 153. Someone is sure buying. Hard to predict here for me. Take profits and run and rebuy lower or wait. August is a funny month. 

Understood. I guess I am not a Cramer fan.

You raise a good point about possible stock dilution if more stock "appears' without an explanation concerning its source.

22 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

You raise a good point about possible stock dilution if more stock "appears' without an explanation concerning its source.

I'm not a cramer fan either. I merely said he called my attention to rcl is on fire today. I'm wondering if someone is buying shares in the open market or why it's up so much today. The news doesnt seem as good as how much rcl is up today. Im asking what I am missing to have rcl catch fire today. Long term of course I'm a fan but this is a big run today. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

This conversion is a good thing as balance sheet is still highly leveraged.  There is expected to be no dilution.  

• Like 1

I thought about what I posted and went and sold all my rcl shares right after I posted, take the money and run? And did. I never sell perfect, but was worried about the wash rule. Bought 130 152 138 and 138. Those shares at 152 would be a big problem on tsxes were I to sell lower and take a loss, cant buy back for 30 days. Ran into the wash rule once before, never doing that again. Cpa goes nuts. So with that in mind and 6 out of 6 travel companies reporting during earnings that travel has slowed, I sold, even on one 100 share batch. Will buy back. 

Trip advisor, disney, 2 hotel stocks, I forget who else, every single one said travel is slowing. And rcl is immune? I booked Bermuda last Thursday and price dropped a lot yesterday.  Within final payment nothing I can do. My dec eatern also the price dropped. I'd lose early booking obc and letting it go but I too am seeing the evidence, prices are dropping for 2024. Sales on planner stuff better than ever. I'm usually too early, the canary in the coal mine. Could have sold much better but i didnt. I'm out, waiting for a new support level. 

I hope I'm wrong, but i bet i can buy back my shares a little lower than the most expensive shares i was holding. Never hurts to lock in a profit and avoid the wash rule. The consumer spending is showing signs its cracking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I thought about what I posted and went and sold all my rcl shares right after I posted, take the money and run? And did. I never sell perfect, but was worried about the wash rule. Bought 130 152 138 and 138. Those shares at 152 would be a big problem on tsxes were I to sell lower and take a loss, cant buy back for 30 days. Ran into the wash rule once before, never doing that again. Cpa goes nuts. So with that in mind and 6 out of 6 travel companies reporting during earnings that travel has slowed, I sold, even on one 100 share batch. Will buy back. 

Trip advisor, disney, 2 hotel stocks, I forget who else, every single one said travel is slowing. And rcl is immune? I booked Bermuda last Thursday and price dropped a lot yesterday.  Within final payment nothing I can do. My dec eatern also the price dropped. I'd lose early booking obc and letting it go but I too am seeing the evidence, prices are dropping for 2024. Sales on planner stuff better than ever. I'm usually too early, the canary in the coal mine. Could have sold much better but i didnt. I'm out, waiting for a new support level. 

I hope I'm wrong, but i bet i can buy back my shares a little lower than the most expensive shares i was holding. Never hurts to lock in a profit and avoid the wash rule. The consumer spending is showing signs its cracking. 

Believe you are overstating and potentially scaring others regarding concerns over wash sale rule.  It basically says if you sell at a loss and buy back within 30 days the loss on the original sale is deferred for tax purposes until you sell the reacquired stock.  My broker keeps track of this and it's all reflected in my year end 1099B.  No cpa or special accounting required.  Rule of thumb in making buy/sell decisions is economics trumps taxes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Believe you are overstating and potentially scaring others regarding concerns over wash sale rule.  It basically says if you sell at a loss and buy back within 30 days the loss on the original sale is deferred for tax purposes until you sell the reacquired stock.  My broker keeps track of this and it's all reflected in my year end 1099B.  No cpa or special accounting required.  Rule of thumb in making buy/sell decisions is economics trumps taxes.

I sold because 6 out of 6 travel company's during their earnings said travel booking are dropping. I sold where I did to avoid the wash sale rule, could have waited for it to peak today, but that is NOT why I sold. Travel is down and imo royal is not immune. I wouldn't have sold if I didnt think travel was dropping. Arguing that I shouldnt have worried where I sold is trying to muddy the waters, that is NOT why I would ever sell.

The issue is every travel company reporting earnings says travel bookings are for shorter periods and for less. Go read or listen to some recent earnings calls. I had a chance to sell above what I paid and did it to protect profits. Monday at open rcl crashed to 130. Analysts been coming in saying best of breed and other nice things caused rcl to jump. 6 out of 6 travel earnings all reported slowing travel. This question you should be asking is rcl immune? Where is the stock going to settle idk. But the drop to 130 Monday and then it ran I protected profits... because of other travel companies earnings. 

I do feel guilty selling, and not holding, I love rcl. I will rebuy. Went all the way to over 155 earlier today ... sold too early, but now its 146 after hours. Here is the one day and 5 day charts. See the dip on Monday. I watch rcl and trade it. You dont, good for you. But I will and already can buy lower right now. Yes it could run tomorrow,  been wrong before, but I pay for my cruises by being right more than wrong. Dont miss the forest for the trees. 

20240807_165842106.jpeg

20240807_165350919.jpeg

• Like 1

Didn't question the business decision to sell. Just believe you are overstating implications of wash sale rule which most here likely aren't familiar with "cpa goes nuts".  It's not that big a big deal.  If you want to buy back within 30 days, fine, do it.  If you later want the tax loss sell the reacquired stock.  Or you can do what I and many others do, hedge your position with options.

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Didn't question the business decision to sell. Just believe you are overstating implications of wash sale rule which most here likely aren't familiar with "cpa goes nuts".  It's not that big a big deal.  If you want to buy back within 30 days, fine, do it.  If you later want the tax loss sell the reacquired stock.  Or you can do what I and many others do, hedge your position with options.

Ok I'll grant you different styles of doing stock. A wash sale requires a separate form and just me, I will avoid doing it. I tried options and they are too time sensitive for me, I'm more of a swing trader. Swing between highs and lows. I swing trade quality stocks. Used to trade CAT and still have 500 shares from $87 I think when it moved up. If a stock goes up, I'm always ok holding it long. But I enjoy what I do. I don't think we will again see mondays lows, but could see lower. Opening high and then falling during the day last 2 days couldn't hold the highs.

I was also concerned it ran up from mondays lows just on analysts doing upgrades. Not because of anything royal did or said. Different styles. Yes I could do covered calls, or sell short and all that other stuff. I have sold short, but it's not my nature perhaps, hate to sell, or sell short. I was concerned with all that is going on right now taking down rcl stock like it did Monday...though I think that was extreme. I hate to be out of rcl, so I'll be back in soon. I want to see support on the charts. Long term rcl will be fine as it grows. If I thought otherwise I wouldn't trade it. 

Options are super powerful, that is how you go broke investing a small amount of money.  Or win the lottery.  I am way too cautious to play.  😉

Edited by xpcdoojk
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I am way too cautious to play.  😉

Yes, I feel your caution. I have worked too many hours to just gamble on the stock market lottery.

I have only invested in super low cost S&P averaging investments for the past 45 years. A good reasonable return with very little drama or thought. Over that time, I have obtained an average 8.5% gain per year. Following the laws of 72, my nest egg and yearly investments have doubled every 9 years. My investments were small but time is a wonderful multiplier.

I follow all of the financial advisors and just find it ludicrous that my "hand-free" results have beaten almost 80% of them. I just do not feel the need to stress about that last 20% possibility.

The autopilot has navigated my investments well.

Everyone has their comfort level and expertise.

I would be the last person to profess I have expertise in the matter of investment. I just got lucky.

• Like 1

My first time to get the shareholder benefit. Bought last week of July so have a statement.  Do I need to upload the 10 page statement or a a screenshot of the page with the holding (and name and date) sufficient?  Trying to do today as we have a sailing in little over two weeks. 

23 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Options are super powerful, that is how you go broke investing a small amount of money.  Or win the lottery.  I am way too cautious to play.  😉

I inherited my father's caution. I'm not a big player. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Yes, I feel your caution. I have worked too many hours to just gamble on the stock market lottery.

I have only invested in super low cost S&P averaging investments for the past 45 years. A good reasonable return with very little drama or thought. Over that time, I have obtained an average 8.5% gain per year. Following the laws of 72, my nest egg and yearly investments have doubled every 9 years. My investments were small but time is a wonderful multiplier.

I follow all of the financial advisors and just find it ludicrous that my "hand-free" results have beaten almost 80% of them. I just do not feel the need to stress about that last 20% possibility.

The autopilot has navigated my investments well.

Everyone has their comfort level and expertise.

I would be the last person to profess I have expertise in the matter of investment. I just got lucky.

We play the same game.

• Haha 1

If I were a day trader, which I'm not, I would have gone short at close yesterday. Watched all day to see if it could break out. 3 failed rallys to 155ish/156 failed to go higher. Then it sells off. Rcl is in a trading range now. 156 ish is resistance. Imo on the charts. I would not buy here, I would sell short, betting on the odds. What I call swing trading, but at support, sell at resistance, rinse and repeat. Watching to determine where support is. Bounced off 147 this last time. At least that's how I read the tea leaves. Computers too just read the charts, dont care about the stock, they play the range. 

Another travel stock had earnings last night. Of special note bookings in july were down, enough so they lower the years guidance. This is sounding like a pattern. These kind of earnings imo will keep rcl range bound for now. Support levels are still tbd. RCL is best of breed, but still these other earnings have to be noticed. 

Zachs issued a 5 stocks to buy now including rcl this morning at open, just in time to push rcl higher. Let's see if this strong buying can continue into the close today. Looking good this morning trying to break out. It is best in breed, but also consumer spending numbers this morning saying the consumer is spending less. Being pickier. Once action so far this morning.

Just read why rccl stock is rising. They are a great stock because passengers don't care if they raise prices and customers like it so much they are willing to pay whatever the price is.   Thats a great compliment but I'm not sure we want them to think we don't care about prices. On one hand its good for stockholders but not so good for cruisers.

I feel like the RCL brand is in a better position then NCL on the basis of NCL for the last 4 years or so offering the Free At Sea promo where you get the booze pkg along with everything else that they could ala carte charge you for. I know it’s all Built in to NCL cruise pricing but at what point do they end the promo? And what backlash would come from it.

RCL will let you purchase the add ons separately and then you can pick and choose what extras are worth your money.

i feel this is why RCL stack has gone through the roof and NCL stock has sat stagnant for last few years.