Do Viking have a price guarantee?

Hammer61

We are looking at booking a 2021 cruise with Viking, given the current situation with the Coronavirus and some cruise lines already slashing fares, does any know if Viking has any kind of policy for those already pre booked? Or is the price set in stone once you book and the pay deposit.

Some cruise lines seem to be more amenable than others to matching new (fares if lower) then others, be it with OBC or a reduction in the final payment. 

Edited by Hammer61

The Australian market is different from the US market; the rules are different. So I can only talk about the US market with any assurance.

With Viking, once you have made a contract with them, the price is fixed. If the price goes down and you want to rebook, it is considered a cancellation and a new booking and will cost you whatever the the cancellation penalty is at the time.

• Like 1

My experience has been the same as Peregrina's.  I would only add that cruise ship lines policies are changing rapidly.  I think there are going to be unheard of deals in the near future.  Viking will probably, in some way, compete with those new changes.

As usual I agree with Peregrina and Jim but I can report that sometimes Viking king will work with you....but you have to be a tough negotiator.  After Maria hit San Juan, many people apparently canceled the TA leaving from there.  Viking was selling PVs for much less than w had paid for our V and was almost giving away the Vs they had left to sell.

i attempted to finagle an upgrade to a PV or a price reduction all with no luck.  When I threatened to cancel, then and only then did I seem that get their attention.  They ended up providing us with a significant obc which financially made us almost whole.

But that was a one off and took me and our travel agent to make happen.  It is certainly not a price guarantee like some other lines offer. 

Same here, as usual Peregrina is correct. When we booked and paid in full, we signed a contract that Viking wouldn't increase our cost, even if costs increased. Only fair, that if prices decrease, we don't get a reduction. We book early to select a specific block of cabins, so once we find a price we like we book.

If you want to gamble on lower prices, you can wait, but cabin selection is less. I also note, our current cruise increased in price after we booked.