Luggage Damage

cruise-aholicRN

I recently traveled on Carnival Inspiration for a 4 night cruise out of Long  Beach. On the last night I opted for the luggage service that removes suitcases to the terminal to be picked up when exiting. As I loaded my suitcase into the trunk of my car, I noticed a hole the size of a fist in my suitcase. I immediately took a picture. Has anyone had their luggage damaged, if so, what did you do? I have third party insurance and luggage damage is covered, but they want me to file with Carnival ( which I have no idea how to do ), asking that I go through my home owner’s insurance which makes no sense to me. I might be able to find proof of purchase, but another thing insurance is asking for is cost to have it repaired. Any thoughts on where to get a hardcover suitcase repaired? Any knowledge, experience or advise welcome. I have been on almost 40 cruises and never have had a problem like this.

Honestly? 
Been there, done that, and just tossed it in the trash and bought new luggage.

You could fight the good fight, but at the end of the day you’ll spend more in personal time and watching professionals play the blame and deflect game than the $200 to buy a new piece of luggage.

You are not wrong in expecting somebody to right this wrong that’s been perpetrated on you. However?...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Honestly? 
Been there, done that, and just tossed it in the trash and bought new luggage.

You could fight the good fight, but at the end of the day you’ll spend more in personal time and watching professionals play the blame and deflect game than the $200 to buy a new piece of luggage.

You are not wrong in expecting somebody to right this wrong that’s been perpetrated on you. However?...

I'm with you 100% on this one but the only difference is I buy luggage that is about $80 so it takes the sting out of it one it does get damaged or broken.

Whenever I travel I always make sure that my luggage is with me. And it doesn't matter whether its a ship or a plane. I mean I can put all my stuff inside my wife’s bag but all my principal belonging are always with me in my personal bag.  

We had a hard shell suitcase cracked during debarkation on a cruise out of Tampa last year. We had somebody from Carnival fill out a damages form in the terminal before we left. 

When I got home I emailed customer service (photos of the damage and the form filled out by the carnival staff member) and they mailed out a cheque to cover the cost of a replacement.

It was a bit of messing around, but surprisingly not a terrible process.

• Like 2

We had a suitcase ruined at the port in NYC. We asked Carnival to provide written proof of the damage. Our insurance company also asked for an estimate for repairs. We called all over and couldn't find anyplace to give us an estimate. When we asked the insurance company what to do about this, they told us to just put that in writing and submit the paperwork. They sent us a check to replace the suitcase. You should get in touch with your insurance company again and tell them you can't get an estimate. Good luck. 

One of the many downsides of the hardsided luggage.  I used to work at an airport and we would see plenty of the hardsided luggage brake when loaded in the plane.  Unless the luggage is packed tightly, the hard plastic compresses and cracks/breaks when other luggage is stacked on it.

• Thanks 1