Cruise Cancellation Question

Jack E Dawson

We appreciate Viking's easy change policy. But on the other hand, we found it VERY frustrating, with 4 ports in Italy on our cruise next week, including Venice - that there has been NO information about alternative ports. We didn't want to fly all that way to float around in a circle for 13 days! After BA canceled our flight, and without a clue about where to even catch a flight, we threw up our hands and bailed. 

5 minutes ago, twodjs said:

We appreciate Viking's easy change policy. But on the other hand, we found it VERY frustrating, with 4 ports in Italy on our cruise next week, including Venice - that there has been NO information about alternative ports. We didn't want to fly all that way to float around in a circle for 13 days! After BA canceled our flight, and without a clue about where to even catch a flight, we threw up our hands and bailed. 

Smart move to cancel if your return flight was coming into the U.S.  Beginning this Friday, the U.S. will suspend flights from Europe (Britain excepted) for a period of 30 days.

31 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Smart move to cancel if your return flight was coming into the U.S.  Beginning this Friday, the U.S. will suspend flights from Europe (Britain excepted) for a period of 30 days.

Right! We were to fly back from Venice through Heathrow on April 1. Probably would have been held a cellblock in terminal 5 for two weeks! 😷

Which brings up the question I've been asking myself since the address ... even though you were flying from Italy, would you qualify for the British exemption because of your Heathrow connection to the US?

2 hours ago, Humbb said:

Which brings up the question I've been asking myself since the address ... even though you were flying from Italy, would you qualify for the British exemption because of your Heathrow connection to the US?

So DHS answered my question here:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation

The travel ban, as clarified, only applies to Foreign Nationals who were in one of 26 European countries (Britain excluded) within 14 days of US arrival.  So US citizens are safe all around.

Not so fast on "US citizens are safe all around."

1.  The OP's link to DHS states in part:  "... I intend to issue a supplemental Notice of Arrivals Restriction requiring U.S. passengers that have been in the Schengen Area to travel through select airports where the U.S. Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures.”

The foregoing combined with US media reports that screening will be a prerequisite to re-entry to US highlights some considerations (including flight logistics such as funneling of passengers through selected US gateways that may make it impractical to complete US domestic legs).

2.  A moot point - possibly - due to cruise line cancellations, drastic airline schedule changes and highly likely airline Europe service cuts etc.   

In any event, wish all the best as we all scramble around to figure out the situation and how to deal with the implications of cancellations and changes.

The implications are - in the scheme of things - inconsequential to getting sick, or all the ones around the globe that are sick or have suffered losing a loved one to this pandemic. 

Edited by Homerody
typos