Cruise Cancellation Question

Jack E Dawson

We are booked on the April 6th Empires of the Mediterranean cruise departing out of Venice. We have never sailed with Viking before. Today the US Dept. of State issued a Level 3 advisory (Reconsider Travel) for Italy and a Level 4 (Do Not Travel) advisory for the region Venice is located in. If Viking ends up cancelling this cruise (obviously not their fault), will we simply be refunded our fare or might they also include some sort of goodwill enticement such as future OBC. What have they done so far with the cruises that have already been cancelled? Might they even change the schedule and embark from another port? Would greatly appreciate advice from more seasoned Viking cruisers.

Thanks,

Jack

Our April 5 Viking Orion Bali to Bangkok cruise was canceled by Viking on February 19. In addition to a refund, we were given a $500 future cruise voucher each, good for a year. Additionally, there was another $500 pp voucher good until March 9, if we rebooked by then and transferred our payment, rather than taking the refund. 

Your mileage may vary, but I’m guessing they will offer some kind of goodwill gesture.

In our experience, when it comes to customer service, Viking are way out ahead of the competition. It is impossible to speculate what offer you will be provided, but on the Sun, all reasonable pax are very satisfied with the compensation on offer. Contractually, we are entitled to zero, but Viking are providing 30% of cruise fare paid in future cruise vouchers.

Just an FYI in case you haven’t gotten the email.  This is going out to all booked passengers and it includes trips booked between now and April 30th.

Make sure Viking has your current email address.

Dear Viking Guest,

As you undoubtedly know, the coronavirus COVID-19 is causing concern in the general public and among those of us engaged in travel. At Viking, the safety and security of our guests and employees has always been our top priority. We have implemented enhanced health screening procedures for all guests and staff before boarding our vessels and everyone is required to complete a health care questionnaire before embarkation. We continue to reiterate the importance of individual hygiene, sanitizing and washing of hands.

We continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation closely including the travel advisories issued by the U.S. State Department and information updates issued by the Centers for Disease Control in the U.S. and the World Health Organization in Switzerland. 

This is a situation that can change from day to day, and we can well understand that the decision of whether or not to travel may be weighing on your mind – particularly for those with imminent departures. 

In view of this we are for the time being making a temporary exception to our cancellation policy so that you can be free to postpone your cruise at any time up until 24 hours before the planned departure, without incurring any cancellation fees. You will be issued a voucher for future travel valid for 24 months, which can be used on any Viking product (river, ocean or expedition). This temporary exception to our standard cancellation policy is applicable for all guests who currently have a reservation with Viking and for all new reservations made through April 30, 2020.

The temporary exception to our cancellation policy is as follows:

If you have flights arranged by Viking, it must be received at least 24 hours prior to the time of your flight's departure.

If you have arranged your own flights, it must be received at least 24 hours prior to the time of embarkation of the cruise or your hotel check-in, whichever is first.

• Notification of your intent to postpone your current cruise must be received as follows:
  • Cancelled reservations will be reimbursed in the form of a Future Cruise Voucher in the amount of 100% of all funds paid to Viking.
  • Future Cruise Vouchers may be used toward any future river, ocean or expedition cruise with Viking and will be valid for 24 months from issuance.

If you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or Viking at 1-833-900-0951, Monday through Friday, 4:00 AM to 9:00 PM, and Saturday to Sunday, 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, PT.

We hope you will choose to join us as planned. We will continue to update you on any changes in itineraries or circumstance that may be relevant. In the meantime, we hope that this temporary exception to our policy will help put your mind to ease.

Sincerely yours,

Richard Marnell 
Executive Vice President

1 hour ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

It's a very decent offer. I hope we don't have to take advantage of it but it's good to know its there. 

a great way to do business. I am sure it will help them in the future. Shows a great deal of loyalty to their customers that other cruise lines are not doing.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Am I reading this correctly-

If I now book a cruise for a sailing in 2 years, I made avail myself of Viking new cancellation policy?

Seems way to generous.  

Good question, but since Viking is calling it a "temporary" change to their cancellation policy, it makes sense they could withdraw it at any time.

Does Viking Ocean offer discounts or vouchers while onboard like they do on Viking River?  Hopefully we will be sailing Viking Ocean next month and it might be a great time to book next trip with a discount and this free cancellation policy.  

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Good question, but since Viking is calling it a "temporary" change to their cancellation policy, it makes sense they could withdraw it at any time.

Yes... think carefully.

Also, review their normal cancellation policies for cruises booked that far in advance.

5 hours ago, SWIMFISH said:

Does Viking Ocean offer discounts or vouchers while onboard like they do on Viking River?  Hopefully we will be sailing Viking Ocean next month and it might be a great time to book next trip with a discount and this free cancellation policy.  

Viking does offer perks for booking on board, so yes, it is worth planning on booking while on board. Current cancellation offer applies to all cruises booked before April 30th. So, yes, plan on booking on board.

I don't want to quote what the perks are currently because I haven't booked on board in a while and I don't want to pass along stale information. Maybe someone who has booked recently can tell you.

On-board booking perks (except for OBC for the cruise you are on) are also available for two weeks after you disembark.

One caution about booking onboard VO...

Our experience is that they start at full rack rate and discount from there, which can be way more than the special offers they sometimes promote.

Be sure to know the best rate you’ve seen published BEFORE you board and get their offer.

(Just like the “bargains” on jewelry onboard.)

Just booked another cruise on board the Viking Sun, we received the following discounts:

Viking Sun - aboard the current cruise we received an additional $400 OBC (non-refundable)

For the next cruise we booked, the following discounts were applied:

• Booking discount - $1,000.00
  • Past Pax discount - $800.00
  • On Board Savings - $1,000.00
  • Bonus Discount - $500.00

For both of us we received CAD $ 3,300 discount from Budapest to London on combined River/Ocean (28 nights).

In addition, we only paid $500 deposit and final payment 6 months before departure. All above are directly from our invoice printed by the Cruise Consultant. We also received 50% off airfares, but that was available in the brochure and not because we booked onboard.

So yes, it was most definitely worth booking aboard. Cruise consultant emailed final copy directly to our TA, so she can assume control of the booking.

On 3/3/2020 at 11:01 AM, MikeyB said:

Am I reading this correctly-

If I now book a cruise for a sailing in 2 years, I made avail myself of Viking new cancellation policy?

Seems way to generous.  

The answer is yes. We have three active bookings, one made just last Friday and received the same email for each of them. 

13 hours ago, garycarla said:

Yes... think carefully.

Also, review their normal cancellation policies for cruises booked that far in advance.

I would not interpret their email with such a jaundiced eye. The "temporary" refers to the booking period covered by this change in policy. It does not mean that honoring the policy change within the 24 months after the booking is temporary. To not honor this change would be a PR disaster. Besides - from what I'm seeing elsewhere folks are taking advantage of these cancellations  - booking cabins previously cancelled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerryInIL said:

A Viking chat rep told me that the voucher will be good for 24 months from the date of the cancellation.  

Musta forgot to press submit. Yes. You're right. My thumbs betray me more often than not. Meant after cancellation. Thanks for picking up my error!😊

I've seen posts now from people who say you can use the voucher on a cancelled cruise and apply it to a not yet totally paid existing booking.  I've also heard others say that Viking would not let you do this - it had to be for a brand new booking.

Spoke to our Travel Agent today and they said Viking had informed them it does indeed have to be a NEW booking and cannot be applied to an existing booking.

Has implications, if true, for how and what you wish to do regarding cancellation.

For example, if you have two cruises booked and both are out past 6 months (so just deposit made), if you cancel one, you would still have to book a 3rd new cruise sometime in the future.  Hmmm.

Has anyone any valid experiences in this either way from a cancel?  New booking or applied to an existing one?

We are due to embark on April 1 from Venice on the 14 night  Mediterranean and Italian Sojourn Cruise. How long can Viking wait before they change to another port for embarkation? Our flights were into Milan from the US and have been canceled. If Viking doesn't cancel the entire cruise, and we choose to go, we'll need to re-book our airfare, but not sure where to. Also, there are close to 40 empty cabins now, where 2 weeks ago the cruise was sold out. As more and more people may choose to cancel, does anyone know if Viking will sail with a large number of empty cabins? 

I'm guesstimating. Each category either says sold out, 1 or 2 or 3 remaining, or limited availability, which I count as 4, or available, which I count as at least 5. You can also go through the motions of trying to book online, and see which cabins are offered as available to book in each category.

Hi again russiangirl

Thanks for your swift response.  Not sure where you are based, but I’ve not seen any book online options on either the UK site or on the US site.  It would be interesting to know how you can do your online search.  

41 minutes ago, russiangirl said:

We are due to embark on April 1 from Venice on the 14 night  Mediterranean and Italian Sojourn Cruise. How long can Viking wait before they change to another port for embarkation? Our flights were into Milan from the US and have been canceled. If Viking doesn't cancel the entire cruise, and we choose to go, we'll need to re-book our airfare, but not sure where to. Also, there are close to 40 empty cabins now, where 2 weeks ago the cruise was sold out. As more and more people may choose to cancel, does anyone know if Viking will sail with a large number of empty cabins? 

I didn't see you post on the Roll Call for the April 1 sailing out of Venice but I think that is just the 7 night trip that I'm on.   I just posted that someone on the cruise just before ours was told that their post excursion to Lake Como was cancelled and they were aware about the flight issues in and out of Venice an Milan and they were still working on further details.  When I spoke with Viking yesterday they said the same to me that they were area of issues with flights in and out of Venice (where Viking has us booked for) and I was advised to keep watching their website and to make sure all emails from them do not go into my spam. Unfortunately, it is just a wait and see game but I feel for you with having to deal with your own flights.  I suspect that Viking is waiting to see who takes up the Voucher offer and then they can deal with the balance of passengers who are holding on.   

58 minutes ago, cruisebug722 said:

I didn't see you post on the Roll Call for the April 1 sailing out of Venice but I think that is just the 7 night trip that I'm on.   I just posted that someone on the cruise just before ours was told that their post excursion to Lake Como was cancelled and they were aware about the flight issues in and out of Venice an Milan and they were still working on further details.  When I spoke with Viking yesterday they said the same to me that they were area of issues with flights in and out of Venice (where Viking has us booked for) and I was advised to keep watching their website and to make sure all emails from them do not go into my spam. Unfortunately, it is just a wait and see game but I feel for you with having to deal with your own flights.  I suspect that Viking is waiting to see who takes up the Voucher offer and then they can deal with the balance of passengers who are holding on.   

Thank you for this information. We intend to hold on for as long as possible, and are hoping they will re-route us around Venice. We are watching the numbers of people who have the virus increase daily, including the neighboring European countries close to Italy, so not sure where they could actually go. Hope it all works out for all of us!