Australia Tourist Refund Scheme (GST) for Cruisers

Hello!
I am traveling around the south of Australia as a cruise ship passenger. I will visit Melbourne tomorrow. While there I will purchase an expensive camera at "Digital Camera Warehouse". I understand this to be a large and reputable Australian Retailer located in the CBD of Northcote.

The camera is subject to a considerable GST Tax. I understand that there is a GST Tourist Refund Scheme for purchases such as mine. My guidebook says I need to present a form along with the camera (both obtained at the store where I make my purchase) at an International Airport.

I will not visit an airport before leaving Australia: We will sail to India from Perth. My two questions are :

1. Will the retail store selling me the camera be familiar with and present me with the requisite  GST refund forms?
2. Since I am not going to an airport how will I present the forms and camera to the appropriate Australian Revenue personnel?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.

8 minutes ago, aikenbill said:

Hello!
I am traveling around the south of Australia as a cruise ship passenger. I will visit Melbourne tomorrow. While there I will purchase an expensive camera at "Digital Camera Warehouse". I understand this to be a large and reputable Australian Retailer located in the CBD of Northcote.

The camera is subject to a considerable GST Tax. I understand that there is a GST Tourist Refund Scheme for purchases such as mine. My guidebook says I need to present a form along with the camera (both obtained at the store where I make my purchase) at an International Airport.

I will not visit an airport before leaving Australia: We will sail to India from Perth. My two questions are :

1. Will the retail store selling me the camera be familiar with and present me with the requisite  GST refund forms?
2. Since I am not going to an airport how will I present the forms and camera to the appropriate Australian Revenue personnel?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.

Have a look at this link - 

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/tourist-refund-scheme

Do you realise that the shop you intend to buy the camera at is about a 25 minuted drive from the Melbourne central business district? Or 30-40 minutes by public transport?

Leigh

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Have a look at this link - 

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/tourist-refund-scheme

Do you realise that the shop you intend to buy the camera at is about a 25 minuted drive from the Melbourne central business district? Or 30-40 minutes by public transport?

Leigh

They can catch a tram out there its only in High Street. 

There is a TRS desk at the Perth cruise terminal after the passport check. You can fill in the details on paper forms, or use the app. Make sure you have a tax invoice from the shop that shows the GST. Heaps of information here.

You can claim the TRS when you exit Australia. You must have the tax invoice for purchase, be able to present the item and have purchased the item within a month of your exit date. You will also have to provide a credit card / bank details for the refund to be paid into.

Just went through this on our current cruise. 

The ship left from Melbourne but because the last port was Sydney we could not claim it in Melbourne. 

A mild panic in Sydney ecause our spot at the cruise terminal was taken by the Queen Elizabeth and we were tendered in from Athol Bay straight to the Opera house. 

It turned out the customs people came out to the ship and processed the paperwork onboard. 

I was very impressed, and it all went smoothly. 

Good luck with it all.