Who is planning to cancel? Who is planning to get OBC?

In Miami now, leaving on the Horizon tomorrow. No turning back now. We were on the road today when we learned about the $200/cabin OBC we’ll be getting. I thought for sure the person who told us about it had misunderstood or that it didn’t apply to us. But we got the email letter and are excited for the extra $$ to spend. We’re not sure about Grand Turk, though. They turned away the Magic today because of (non-corona) illnesses on board. That’s supposed to be our first port, one that we enjoy. I guess we’ll find out.

4 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

In Miami now, leaving on the Horizon tomorrow. No turning back now. We were on the road today when we learned about the $200/cabin OBC we’ll be getting. I thought for sure the person who told us about it had misunderstood or that it didn’t apply to us. But we got the email letter and are excited for the extra $$ to spend. We’re not sure about Grand Turk, though. They turned away the Magic today because of (non-corona) illnesses on board. That’s supposed to be our first port, one that we enjoy. I guess we’ll find out.

I had wondered what happened to you. You've been getting ready & traveling! Hope you all have a great cruise....where ever you are going. 👌

• Like 1

We are booked on the Miracle for a B2B out of San Francisco. May 7th -21st.  We are going ahead as planned, hoping flights are not canceled.  We have a huge group, & I am very involved with some of our group activities.  I am hoping this epidemic dies down by that time.  They say it is not heat resistant, so the warmer months should see a decline in cases. At least that is what I am hoping for.

42 minutes ago, luv2trvlnow said:

We were sailing on the Valor on May 4.  But we have cancelled.  We have the first case of Coronavirus in the Tulsa area today.  Just not going to take any chances catching or spreading it.  

The reality is finally starting to come out that covid-19 has already been in most communities such as Tulsa for weeks. Unless people are planning to hide out in their house for months until this is over way down the line, by the time we get to May 4th folks will have been exposed to covid-19 at a rate close to an order of magnitude higher than what will exist on the Valor.

Edited by embarkation75
  • Like 2

Was sailing on April 5 out of NOLA  but my work is now requiring me to cancel or self quarantine upon return.  Spent all afternoon on phone cancelling hotels and excursions and flights and after an hour on hold got through to reschedule my cruise to next year.  The Carnival rep was outstanding in her help and got it all squared away quickly no muss no fuss. Hilton refunded me all my points and waived the cancellation fee even though I was inside the cancellation period.  Cost me 400 in cancellation fees for the Airfare rest in future credit.  *$%@&# viruses

We must cancel May 4 cruise. We are over 60 and following guidelines. I am sad to lose 1300$. One of us if an MD. This virus is going to kill so many people. Wish we were in our 30’s. Praying for all of you on ships to have a wonderful  and safe trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, embarkation75 said:

The reality is finally starting to come out that covid-19 has already been in most communities such as Tulsa for weeks. Unless people are planning to hide out in their house for months until this is over way down the line, by the time we get to May 4th folks will have been exposed to covid-19 at a rate close to an order of magnitude higher than what will exist on the Valor.

But we are also in our late 60's and early 70's  We are therefore in a more susceptible group.  We still have 2 other cruises planned.  This was just a quick 5 day cruise.  Our others are an 11 day European cruise next year and a 14 day journey cruise shortly after that.  Since we had "cancel for any reason" insurance we are only out $75.  The loss is small.

Edited by luv2trvlnow

26 minutes ago, beacha said:

We must cancel May 4 cruise. We are over 60 and following guidelines. I am sad to lose 1300$. One of us if an MD. This virus is going to kill so many people. Wish we were in our 30’s. Praying for all of you on ships to have a wonderful  and safe trip.

@beacha if you were in your 30’s would you still go as an MD?

Edited by Globetrotter21
Add name

Got the letter this AM.  We sail on the Dream out of Galveston on the 16th of March.  We're holding tight for now and expecting a full cancellation from Carnival, but if not we will probably consider rescheduling with the 'FCC' if no movement from Carnival this next week.  I've been home all week with a sick child - high fever, aches, chills, negative-flu/strep/etc, two pediatrician visits this week +CBC and chest x-ray and no idea what it is.  Second child had the same thing two weeks ago and developed pneumonia.  COVID19 is here, we just don't know about it yet.  Don't really want to risk being quarantined in a small cabin for who knows how long.  We've got work and school to attend and a business to run so can't be stuck on a ship beyond Spring Break.

Edited by seven_37

We cancelled today.  We didn't receive the email but saw the policy on the news and facebook groups.  We were going to sail on March 28.  Pretty bummed but we decided that if the industry gave the option, we should postpone.  We have a 2, 5, and 7 year old and the thought of staying in a single tiny room in quarantine just wasn't worth the risk.  We are hoping to rebook as soon as the hype dies down.  I'm not even that worried about the virus, more just the travel interruptions that could happen if someone on the ship were sick.  No judgement to those choosing otherwise, we just have a lower risk tolerance.  😞

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, luv2trvlnow said:

But we are also in our late 60's and early 70's  We are therefore in a more susceptible group.  We still have 2 other cruises planned.  This was just a quick 5 day cruise.  Our others are an 11 day European cruise next year and a 14 day journey cruise shortly after that.  Since we had "cancel for any reason" insurance we are only out $125.  The loss is small.

Understand and best of luck to you over the next several months as on the positive side you'll have plenty of time to work on projects around the house as you avoid travel/external contact. 😀

We are booked on a journeys cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver in April. We are going unless Carnival cancels. Loving that we have OBC to spend now. Trying not to buy into the panic and be excited about our cruise again. 

• Like 1

We are booked on the Freedom leaving on 3/14 on an eight-day run and have been mulling over our decision all day. We’ve decided in the end to cancel. We’ll get our $3500 back and suffer nothing but disappointment. Small price to pay. We’ll whine a bit and try again next year. :)

We're booked to leave out of PC on the Elation on April 27th and are still planning on going unless something happens and Carnival cancels the cruise. We plan to just keep up taking the usual precautions we normally take during cold & flu season like the CDC recommends and try not to panic about this and just hope for the best. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TXcruiser13 said:

We are booked on the Freedom leaving on 3/14 on an eight-day run and have been mulling over our decision all day. We’ve decided in the end to cancel. We’ll get our $3500 back and suffer nothing but disappointment. Small price to pay. We’ll whine a bit and try again next year. 🙂

We are also booked on the Freedom, sailing on a 7 day to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and of course...Cozumel. Our cruise though, sails 09/13/20-09/20/20. I will be 73, and my wife will be 70. We are going. Already paid in full. No reason to change horse in midstream and cancel. Good luck everybody, and may all make the right decision for their circumstances. We have.

• Like 2