Can someone please help interpret the new policy

MudderBear

I’m trying to help my mom (she is 88) figure this out. It’s hard, because I’m doing it long distance AND she booked through her friend’s TA so I don’t have solid figures.

Even though my mom will lose money, I think she’s leaning towards using her Cancellation Protection Plan and taking the refund rather than an FCC. If I understand correctly, the cost of the policy would be taken off the top, then she would get:

*25% of the cruise fare refunded at 100% (17 days until sailing)

*100% refund of prepaids such as gratuities and Internet, etc.

*100% refund of port fees

*75% of the fare refunded at 80%

Let me know if I’m looking at that correctly. I think she might rather take a small loss than get an FCC. If she could apply the FCC to her cruise in September I think she would take it, but since she can’t I think she would prefer the refund.

Thanks!

Edited by Cindy

So we went ahead and cancelled one of our cruises departing in May.  We had purchased the 80% "cancel for any reason" insurance provided by HA.  We had also purchased our airfare thru HA.  This is what resulted (3 couples - we all got the same treatment)

When I originally contacted HA, the representative started doing our calculation based on all port charges, no refund for insurance premium, 80% of cruise/air cost.  The difference of 20% would be a future cruise credit.

BUT one of our party noticed that we were still within the period of just losing our deposit and not the 50% - our cruise was May 23, so the 50% kicks in Mar 21.  By just losing our deposit ($100 per person) we were much better off.

The rep said that once you buy insurance, the system automatically enacts the insurance rebate, but I was not happy with that as I did not want a large future cruise credit - really not 100% sure when we will cruise again and we can use our money back for other purposes.  Anyway, the rep said he couldn't change it but he could talk to a supervisor (which would entail a couple days to figure out)  Luckily our rep (who's been very helpful in the past) managed to get hold of a supervisor and had it overwritten so that we could just lose our insurance premium (definite) and our $200.  The supervisor actually authorized a charge of only $91 plus our insurance $414 for a total loss of $504.  We are pleased.  There has been 2 conflicting comments from the two reps involved as to how much will be a FCC - either $91 or $504 - again, I am fine with either.

I have written this so that people that are in that window that gives them a better return by not using their insurance can double check their dates.  In all three instances, this request did require the rep to contact a supervisor, but maybe by today that might not be necessary.

Good luck everyone - we have left our September cruise active for a while - a wait and see plan

• Thanks 1