Ruby Princess-current status?

trvlwrld

We passed by her on a ferry today on our way back to Darling Harbor (we’re on the Amsterdam world cruise). I was shocked at her appearance! Incredible amount of rust showing. We’ve been on her several times and have never seen her look so bad!  We ran into a few people in The Rocks area that told us they were supposed to get on at 5PM. 

54A2910E-4F9B-425B-B165-A4E1B3398AE8.jpeg

8B576BC0-469A-4999-9832-8CF50DFC6C6A.jpeg

Can see her edging out on another webcam - sydney harbour and port south view. I read on another cruise line's forum on cc that it was a noro problem. Hope everyone has a great cruise.

• Like 1

Just now, cruzingnut said:

We passed by her on a ferry today on our way back to Darling Harbor (we’re on the Amsterdam world cruise). I was shocked at her appearance! Incredible amount of rust showing. We’ve been on her several times and have never seen her look so bad!  We ran into a few people in The Rocks area that told us they were supposed to get on at 5PM. 

That's relatively normal. All it means is that side of the ship hasn't been docked alongside a wharf for a while. When it does it will get cleaned and repainted.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruzingnut said:

All ships have rust at times.  Holland America paint job likely hides a lot from noticing.  

Good luck on world cruise on HAL Amsterdam, as I have heard they are already re-routing (Multiple times) due to ports not accepting ships.

• Like 1

We were on the previous Ruby cruise that caused the delay and know exactly why it all happened

To clear this all up - at around 9:30pm on Saturday night (we were to arrive at OPT at 5am Sun) we were notified via the ships PA that the NSW GOVERNMENT had requested that EVERY PAX complete a form regarding their current health as they had been “TOLD” there was an ‘abundance of coughing’ occurring on the ship.

We were to bring the completed forms to guest services by 11pm. Both myself and DH had coughs, but coming from the heat and humidity of Qld, to the dry AC of the ship and the cool of NZ, not unexpected 🤔

Took our forms down and passed multiple guests returning saying “ we only have to hand them in if we ticked the “have a cough, runny nose, temp” box” yippee - back to bed/ drinking etc we go!!! No doubt half of these had a cough at least!!

So, we then had to front up in one of the main restaurants at 5:30am and await the NSW Health Officials. 600 or so honest, coughing, tired, worried passengers waited until nearly 6:30 for these people to show. First thing they wanted - all of us to put masks on!!!!
🤣😂

If this hadn’t been so ridiculous, I would have laughed - we had been lumped together in a room for nearly an hour (not forgetting the ship) - now the masks?? But wait - of course, it’s to keep THEM safe.

We all had our temps taken, everyone passed with flying colours and were allowed to go. Instead of disembarking at 6:30 it started at 9:30 - three hours late. 
I assume that as those NSW Health Workers were charging Princess for the day, they stayed and carried out continued testing around the ship - hence the late departure.

I would add that if you are cruising, pack: 
Cold Tablets, Cough Med (2) Vick’s, - anything you use ta home to fight a cough/cold. We also have our own thermometer (this is new) so we are the first to know about a temp 😳

So ended our great Ruby Princess Cruise, and we would still tick the box honestly every time. 👍

Cheers, Rose

Note: to trvlwrld - DEFINITELY NO NOROVIRUS ON BOARD!!! (thankfully)

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

How were they identifying people with a cough, fever, runny nose?  Were they observing people as they exited customs and pulling people out of line? Or was it only pax that Princess had identified as having "cough, fever, runny nose"

Thank you!

This was at the end of a cruise, not the start. It was self diagnosing (fill out a form) and it was for the NSW Govt.

No cruise line are able to say “you have a cough, you can’t board our ship”.
Custom don’t deal  with health issues.

Good to get a first hand experience and explanation. The Noro comment about Ruby was on the RC forum! Usually with Noro the ship wants to get everyone off ASAP. 

Good to hear you had a great cruise. Good tip about the thermometer. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

We were on the Ruby in December and they were painting her then, don't remember which side.

They are constantly painting the ship as the environment (seawater) is extremely corrosive.  It is a continual battle.   The Ruby was last in drydock September 2018 when the hull was stripped and repainted. 

18 hours ago, cubfan63 said:

All ships have rust at times.  Holland America paint job likely hides a lot from noticing.  

Good luck on world cruise on HAL Amsterdam, as I have heard they are already re-routing (Multiple times) due to ports not accepting ships.

You are probably right!  I’ll have to look closely next time we stop at the side of the Amsterdam.  I had just never seen any of the Princess ships look like that and we sail both lines.

Our itinerary has changed twice so far.  We fully expect more before we finally return to Ft. Lauderdale.

Linda R.

Well crap. We got the announcement that princess has suspended stuff for 60 days. We are at akaroa

we don’t know how it will affect current cruise. But we got these today. The form has to be done today. It’s all half arsed the dates are wrong. Question 7 there is not a no option

3E5BF59F-D594-42E7-BC82-1851B71F5B1A.jpeg

D79843EA-0C0B-48DB-BEE0-8ED6BA2BDBB9.jpeg

47 minutes ago, RecliningPanda said:

Well crap. We got the announcement that princess has suspended stuff for 60 days. We are at akaroa

we don’t know how it will affect current cruise. But we got these today. The form has to be done today. It’s all half arsed the dates are wrong. Question 7 there is not a no option

Mr. Panda -- there is an announcement on the Princess web site, which has a link to a pdf with more detail.

In the detail, it says that Ruby will be completing it's current cruise, and ending in Sydney, as planned.

All subject to change, of course, particularly if Ruby is denied entry to a port in NZ along the way.

http://Voluntary 60-day Pause of Global Ship Operations – Details & FAQ (PDF)

So, I would think this is good for the passengers, as they should be able to use their original travel plans home.

Princess has 18 ships with about 1000 crew on each.

I think this means that someone will have to arrange for 18,000 crew members to go home at more-or-less

the same time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Mr. Panda -- there is an announcement on the Princess web site, which has a link to a pdf with more detail.

In the detail, it says that Ruby will be completing it's current cruise, and ending in Sydney, as planned.

All subject to change, of course, particularly if Ruby is denied entry to a port in NZ along the way.

http://Voluntary 60-day Pause of Global Ship Operations – Details & FAQ (PDF)

So, I would think this is good for the passengers, as they should be able to use their original travel plans home.

I think this means that someone will have to arrange for 18,000 crew members to go home at more-or-less

the same time.

Thank you very much. The people onboard have no idea. But that’s a relief 

3 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

the same time.

Most if not all the crew will have to stay with the ship.  Even though a ship is not being used to transport pax and is laying at anchor or attached to a pier, maintenance is an ongoing item just like always.  There will not be as much to keep clean since their are no pax, still cleaning, maintenance etc has to be completed 24/7.  The crew may not have to work as hard or such broken shifts each day and since they are on contract will have to be paid minus the pax provided gratuity.  All ships on the water must have a bridge crew and captain at all times.  I would imagine that Princess will use the down time to spruce up and improve the ship's condition.

9 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Most if not all the crew will have to stay with the ship.

I think the crew will be reduced to minimum operational manning, plus

crew to support those folks,

and some crew to clean, do maintenance, etc.

And most crew will be sent home.

If you have no passengers:

You don't need 100 cabin stewards to clean their cabins...

You don't need cooks to prepare passenger food...

You don't need waiters to serve passenger food...

You don't need cruise staff, dancers, and other entertainers...

You don't need purser staff to handle passenger accounts...