Preventive Airborne

KennyFla

8 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Someone recommended to us to start taking Airborne one week before getting on the boat. Seems like a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure this will stop you from getting it since it isn't a flu or cold. However, the risk really isn't getting sick...500+ cases in the US vs hundreds of thousands of flu cases.

The problem is getting quarantined on a ship. Not being able to get back to work, missing flights. Or the reverse...being stuck at embarkation because the ship you are about to get on can't debark.

Ariborne can't help that.

If you want to not get sick, wash your hands regularly, don't touch your face, limit contact with others.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KennyFla said:

Someone recommended to us to start taking Airborne one week before getting on the boat. Seems like a good idea

Airborne is only marginally more effective than a placebo.  Just load up on vitamin C, it generally costs less, and has a similar benefit.

• Like 2

We took it before and during our Feb Seaside cruise. I didn't get sick.  My husband who has COPD did catch the virus going around, which is typical for him.  Must say that a LOT of people were sick at the end of the second week.  I think it was because of all the school aged kids aboard.

We took it before and during our Feb Seaside cruise. I didn't get sick.  My husband who has COPD did catch the virus going around, which is typical for him.  Must say that a LOT of people were sick at the end of the second week.  I think it was because of all the school aged kids aboard.

It can’t hurt. Another little added layer of protection

14 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

It can’t hurt. Another little added layer of protection

The best protection is to *thoroughly* wash your hands, do not touch your face, and avoid close contact with others.

If you want an added layer of protection, then like Beardface said, stock up on Vitamin C and get lots of rest.

Seriously, Airborne isn't going to stop you from catching the coronavirus. I'm sure Markanddonna's post above was in relation to getting sniffles/flu/whatever since there was no quarantine. Airborne might help with the common cold.

But for CV...you have a much better chance of getting hit while crossing the street rather than getting that.

If you are really worried about CV, look at the flu stats for this year. Look at just how many people have died in the US this year from the flu...over 10,000. Compare that with the number of CV deaths in the US. Or, just compare the flu deaths in the US (10K) vs. CV deaths *worldwide*.

Getting CV isn't what you need to worry about.

The real issue is the incredible inconvenience from having your de/embarkation delayed because someone else on the ship *might* have it. If you look at all of the cases, there have been just as many delays/missed ports/etc because someone had the flu as because of CV. And if someone does have it, enjoy your 14 days of quarantine...that is the real headache. That is what you really need to worry about. And Airborne just isn't going to help that.

Edited by alyssamma
  • Like 2

I'm a vitamin C girl. I also started taking elderberry a few years ago and, while I can't say it's the elderberry, I can say that when I remember to take it, I haven't gotten sick. Last year on Allure of the seas I forgot it and came back with a nasty respiratory virus. Hardly enough to draw large conclusions, but I have it in the 'it can't hurt' category.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

I follow all the recommendations but realize I could still catch the coronavirus. The crowds in the evening and when it was raining onboard the ship Seaside were so dense. By the end of the cruise, I just wanted to get off the ship and away from crowds, with all the sneezing and coughing. This wasn't the cv, but colds, URIs, Type A flu that was going around.

31 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

This wasn't the cv, but colds, URIs, Type A flu that was going around.

This.

That is fine advice...staying healthy (e.g., Vit C, etc.) is always good and will reduce your chances of getting a *cold*

But it doesn't work on *viruses*. It might make you not get as sick as someone else, but it doesn't act as a magic shield to prevent viruses - vaccines do, though. Which is why if you are worried about getting sick, get a flu shot. Note, though, still not a magic bullet because there are too many strains of the flu out there.

The main problem is, people conflate the flu, cold, and CV. All three are completely different things and what works to prevent one will not necessarily work to prevent the other.

Additionally, people are going nuts over CV. Rightfully so for cruise delays. etc., but wrongfully so for thinking they have any significant chance of catching this. The numbers simply don't bear it out. The media goes off on new cases and deaths...but why not report the same for the flu? Much more deadly, much more likely to be caught.

Maybe the OP wasn't talking about taking Airborne for CV and I just read that into it. If the OP meant taking it to prevent the common cold, great. But if they think Airborne is going to stop CV, then they need to wash their hands. Vit C won't prevent CV either.

Will Airborne help prevent COVID-19,  no one can actually say yes or no. I mean, that is the concern with this virus, it is so new, and so little is known about it. Likely, the answer is no, but it certainly won't hurt. You may give your overall immune system a little boost against other things. Common colds are viruses too.

1 minute ago, Talex831 said:

Will Airborne help prevent COVID-19,  no one can actually say yes or no. I mean, that is the concern with this virus, it is so new, and so little is known about it. Likely, the answer is no, but it certainly won't hurt. You may give your overall immune system a little boost against other things. Common colds are viruses too.

It is new, but to say scientists don't know much about it is completely incorrect. There are many places where you can get substantive factual information about the virus. Is everything known about it? Of course not...everything isn't known about the flu (mainly because of new strains) and we've had that for over 2000 years.

*Some* colds are viruses...*very* few...like 15%. Airborne doesn't fight colds. Airborne helps build your immune system. A healthy immune system helps fight *all* diseases.

That being said, the number one thing to do is to *properly* wash your hands. If you are washing for 20+ seconds, under finger nails and everywhere, then worry about supplements. But until you are doing the single most effective thing, don't worry about other things.

Educate yourself about the virus. Don't take advice from a cruise message board, FB, or any social media. Avoid mainstream media. Go to the CDC website, for example, and follow their advice.

One place (non-government) that does have good info is Ars Technica - https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/dont-panic-the-comprehensive-ars-technica-guide-to-the-coronavirus/

10 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Not sure this will stop you from getting it since it isn't a flu or cold. However, the risk really isn't getting sick...500+ cases in the US vs hundreds of thousands of flu cases.

The problem is getting quarantined on a ship. Not being able to get back to work, missing flights. Or the reverse...being stuck at embarkation because the ship you are about to get on can't debark.

Ariborne can't help that.

If you want to not get sick, wash your hands regularly, don't touch your face, limit contact with others.

Quarantine is the problem.