Allianz temporarily widens coverage due to coronavirus

RJ2002

Allianz will “until further notice” accommodate claims for emergency medical care and transportation for customers who become ill from the new coronavirus while on their trip; trip-cancellation and interruption if a customer becomes ill with Covid-19 before or during their trip; and nonrefundable, non-transferrable trip-cancellation expenses for those who bought a plan before Jan. 22 for a trip to mainland China,

Not sure I understand how they are expanding or widening their coverage.. Almost all the travel insurance companies have this cutoff date. If you purchased the policy prior to Jan. 22nd, Coronavirus was an unknown entity. After Jan 22nd, Coranovirus was known Named entity. Then again, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Edited by klfrodo

On 3/9/2020 at 5:58 PM, klfrodo said:

Not sure I understand how they are expanding or widening their coverage.. Almost all the travel insurance companies have this cutoff date. If you purchased the policy prior to Jan. 22nd, Coronavirus was an unknown entity. After Jan 22nd, Coranovirus was known Named entity. Then again, maybe I'm reading it wrong.

The article compressed Allianz's actual language and caused confusion.  Here is what Allianz actually posted on their website:

Claims due to known, foreseeable, or expected events, epidemics, or fear of travel are generally not covered, and coverage can vary by state.  However, until further notice, although not covered under most plans, we are currently accommodating claims for:

1. Under Emergency Medical Care and Emergency Medical Transportation Benefits:Emergency medical care and emergency medical transportation for a customer who becomes ill with COVID-19 while on their trip.
  2. Under Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption Benefits: Trip cancellation and trip interruption if a customer becomes ill with COVID-19 either before or during their trip.
  3. Under Trip Cancellation Benefit: Non-refundable, non-transferable trip cancellation expenses for customers who purchased their plan prior to January 22, 2020 for trip components in Mainland China, South Korea, or the Lombardy or Veneto regions of Italy and departing prior to April 1, 2020.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/coverage-alerts/2019-novel-coronavirus.htm

The "prior to January 22, 2020" language only applies to item 3.  Items 1 and 2 mean the boilerplate "epidemic" exception to coverage is waived as stated for all customers.

This is a wonderful gesture on Allianz's part.  Thanks Allianz!

BTW my TA told me that the announcement was delayed because they had to get approval from state regulators to give a free benefit!