Itinerary Updates Regarding COVID 19 - Emirates, Mediterranean & Grand Cruises - from MSC

ken98230

CRUISE ITINERARY UPDATES

11/03/2020

Due the continued Covid-19 crisis development in many of the countries where we operate, the restrictions imposed by various government and port authorities, and the safety measures we put in place since January, we are forced to adjust or cancel some of our itineraries.
These decisions reflect the situation as it continuously evolves. We are in contact with governments, health authorities and local authorities to monitor any news and we will keep adjusting our operations as often as required to protect the health of our guests and crew members. It’s worth noting however that as of today most of our fleet continues to operate as planned, and we have had no Covid-19 case on our ships.

Cruises in the Emirates
In the Emirates due to a limitation on passenger’s movement imposed by the local authorities we are cancelling the cruises of MSC Bellissima and MSC Lirica starting from March 14, including the Grand Voyages of MSC Bellissima on March 21 and that of MSC Lirica on April 18.

Cruises in the Mediterranean
In the Mediterranean due to the limitation of movements requested by the Italian government, embarkation disembarkation and transit are not possible at the moment. Consequently, we are adjusting the itineraries of MSC Grandiosa and we are cancelling the cruises of MSC Opera from March 10 to April 21.

For both programs as well as for other smaller changes, all details are available in the table below. Please note we may have to do further adjustments as the situation evolves.

For the cruises we are forced to cancel we will offer to our guests a voucher equal to the value of the cancelled cruise, to be used for any future sailing departing before the end of 2021 plus an on board credit of €100 per cabin for cancelled cruises up to 6 nights and €200 for cruises of 7 nights or longer. Solely for the cancellation of MSC Bellissima Grand Voyage Dubai-Yokohama, and MSC Lirica Grand Voyage Dubai-Venice, we will offer and on board credit of € 400 per cabin. This credit is refundable, valid for any period of the year and can be combined with any existing promotion. 

We at MSC Cruises are committed to deliver great holiday experiences to our guests, and we are sorry that current circumstances force us to change some of our plans and possibly disrupt some of your dreams. We look forward to sail with you in calmer waters very soon, always with the safety of our guests and crew as our top priority.  

• Thanks 2

• ken98230 changed the title to Itinerary Updates Regarding COVID 19 - Emirates, Mediterranean & Grand Cruises - from MSC

This is going to be a tough time for MSC, they are going through a massive new build and fleet expansion and with the Miraviglia and Seaside class of ship build programs ongoing I suspect cash flow will become a big issue. Honestly, it will be interesting to see whether MSC will weather this storm, I suspect some other cruise lines may be having similar concerns. 
 We will see cruise ships in lay up with skeleton crews and older ships sent for scrap very soon. 
 Whilst I’m disappointed that I’ve lost my cruises and uncertain whether I will see my money back, I feel more sorry for the crews of these ships who are probably wondering whether they will still have jobs next month. 

Unacceptable, a full cash refund for an MSC designated  cancelled cruise is contractual, people should stand up for their rights, itinerary changes that force cancellation maybe ok for a credit but they cannot cancel and steal our money. UNACCEPATABLE.

5 hours ago, Seanocelt said:

Unacceptable, a full cash refund for an MSC designated  cancelled cruise is contractual, people should stand up for their rights, itinerary changes that force cancellation maybe ok for a credit but they cannot cancel and steal our money. UNACCEPATABLE.

Do you have a cruise booked with MSC??

I was meant to be on Lirica in April, no confirmation of cancellation yet but both of the excursions I booked have been refunded so it's just a matter of time before my TA contacts me. Gutted but also relieved, I didn't like the uncertainty. I'll just wait to hear what my options are regarding a refund/credit.  

I am booked on Grandiosa for May.  I keep hoping that everything will be ok come my time to cruise.  If the itinerary is still changed by then, I will be disappointed but it's not the end of the world.  If my cruise ends up being cancelled though, then I would be very annoyed if I was not offered a full refund or given the option to get one.  It won't be possible for everybody to book another cruise with them before the end of next year.  The options should be FCC or full refund.  I was booked with NCL for a cruise out of Hong Kong in October this year.  When they decided to cancel all their Asia cruises, then I received a full refund and the offer of a 10% discount off a new cruise if I booked it within 45 days.

10 hours ago, MasterNotCommander said:

This is going to be a tough time for MSC, they are going through a massive new build and fleet expansion and with the Miraviglia and Seaside class of ship build programs ongoing I suspect cash flow will become a big issue. Honestly, it will be interesting to see whether MSC will weather this storm, I suspect some other cruise lines may be having similar concerns. 
 We will see cruise ships in lay up with skeleton crews and older ships sent for scrap very soon. 
 Whilst I’m disappointed that I’ve lost my cruises and uncertain whether I will see my money back, I feel more sorry for the crews of these ships who are probably wondering whether they will still have jobs next month. 

They're probably in a better spot to weather this than some of the others just because they are a private company.  They don't have shareholders to appease and they haven't seen their value gutted over the past few weeks due to the Coronavirus overreaction in the markets.  RCCL has already announced they are laying off their entire contractor staff and it's expected that Carnival and NCL aren't too far behind.  Being private, MSC is positioned to insulate itself to come out better on the other side whereas those others are likely going to have to see major shifts to appease investors who are going to be out for blood.

Would not be surprised if MSC comes out of this and quickly establishes itself as a legitimate top line in the industry.

• Like 1

15.2 If the cancellation prior to departure is due to an event of Force Majeure and/or any unusual /or unforeseeable circumstances beyond MSC Cruises or the Company’s control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided by MSC Cruises or the Company even though they have exercised all due care, MSC Cruises or the Company will offer the Passenger the choice of:
a) Receiving a full refund of all money paid; or
b) Booking another Holiday Package from the Company’s brochure and/or from the Official Website of equivalent or superior quality at no extra cost, if available; or
c) Booking another Holiday Package from the Company’s brochure and/or from the Official Website of lower quality, if available, with a refund of the difference in price.

Lifted from MSC t &c s......so if my cruise is cancelled i want option "a".  Seems to be talk of it NOT being an option hence my posts above.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Seanocelt said:
15.2 If the cancellation prior to departure is due to an event of Force Majeure and/or any unusual /or unforeseeable circumstances beyond MSC Cruises or the Company’s control, the consequences of which could not have been avoided by MSC Cruises or the Company even though they have exercised all due care, MSC Cruises or the Company will offer the Passenger the choice of:
a) Receiving a full refund of all money paid; or
b) Booking another Holiday Package from the Company’s brochure and/or from the Official Website of equivalent or superior quality at no extra cost, if available; or
c) Booking another Holiday Package from the Company’s brochure and/or from the Official Website of lower quality, if available, with a refund of the difference in price.

Lifted from MSC t &c s......so if my cruise is cancelled i want option "a".  Seems to be talk of it NOT being an option hence my posts above.

Those are terms which apply in the EU. They appear on a page on the MSC website with the title Key rights under Directive (EU) 2015/2302 There are different rules in USA and Australia so it may be that those countries are only getting a FCC.

We often read on many different cruise boards on cruise critic that it's unfair that we, in the UK, pay more than our fellow cruisers in the USA. I think I'm right in saying that this is where we come out at an advantage as EU laws give us the protection quoted above.

Edited by Bobal

indeed, you are corre

3 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Those are terms which apply in the EU. They appear on a page on the MSC website with the title Key rights under Directive (EU) 2015/2302 There are different rules in USA and Australia so it may be that those countries are only getting a FCC.

We often read on many different cruise boards on cruise critic that it's unfair that we, in the UK, pay more than our fellow cruisers in the USA. I think I'm right in saying that this is where we come out at an advantage as EU laws give us the protection quoted above.

indeed, and maybe that is another reason for our sparse info, as it will be a big hit if cancellations occur, hoping no more do.

We were booked on the now cancelled Opera 4/6 sailing.  Will MSC handle the cancel/FCC or would we still need to call?   

I do prefer refund at this point, as a US customer, and might end up calling to see about that though...