Princess just cancelled sailings for 60 days.

jskinsd

39 minutes ago, DZcreature said:

I have been listening and the symptoms are the same as a cold or flu. If it wasn't over hyped, no one would even be getting tested specifically for the COVID-19 virus.

I want the decision to cruise to be mine, and hope I still get to decide.

Funny, I've never heard of someone being placed on a ventilator for "basically a bad cold".  But you be you.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KansasTexan said:

Funny, I've never heard of someone being placed on a ventilator for "basically a bad cold".  But you be you.

I'm just gonna put this here in case anyone's interested

image.png.9333a3341ba417274380c4c4028dddad.png

Cause knowing is half the battle. 🙂 (That's a GI Joe reference.)

Edited by wampuscat7

3 minutes ago, KansasTexan said:

Not  a doctor, are you? That's a joke .The "common cold" can kill an immunocompromised patient. 

I have seen many, many sick and elderly on vents after the symptoms of their "cold" escalated.

This scary virus  attacks the same population- the elderly and compromised. Those who are under 70 and healthy should have mild symptoms if infected.

Passing the virus to the elderly is another story.

I would hazard a  guess that thousands of us have had it and not even known it was not a seasonal cold.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Not  a doctor, are you? That's a joke .The "common cold" can kill an immunocompromised patient. 

I have seen many, many sick and elderly on vents after the symptoms of their "cold" escalated.

This scary virus  attacks the same population- the elderly and compromised. Those who are under 70 and healthy should have mild symptoms if infected.

Passing the virus to the elderly is another story.

I would hazard a  guess that thousands of us have had it and not even known it was not a seasonal cold.

I shouldn't have attempted sarcasm. It doesn't come across well online. What I should have said is, "It's not basically a bad cold. It can be serious and deadly to some and shame on you for minimizing it." Thanks.

3 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

this is what we are hoping. We always buy insurance.

It's not necessarily covered. Read the fine details of your policy. Many (if not most) exclude cancellations due to pandemics, etc.

1 hour ago, DZcreature said:

I have been listening and the symptoms are the same as a cold or flu. If it wasn't over hyped, no one would even be getting tested specifically for the COVID-19 virus.

I want the decision to cruise to be mine, and hope I still get to decide.

People who have colds don't end up on ventilators and die unless they are severely compromised. So there's that.

Edited by KateQ22003

There have been various wingnut media outlets suggesting this virus is nothing more than a bad cold and it's the media who is making the virus an issue. So it's understandable why people who solely rely on these sources for their information believe coronavirus is a hoax.

Luckily there has been pushback from Vice President Pence who said that there's been 'irresponsible rhetoric' from people downplaying coronavirus. 

That's a good start.

• Like 3

Several things I just want to add...

I really don't think the other lines will cancel unless they absolutely have to for some reason or other. Let's be honest, Princess needs this. For whatever reason, they've had all the issues. That with the associated bad press plus their older demographic makes sense for cancellation. It won't be good for them, but it was necessary. They're also allowing full refunds PLUS FCC...their refund offers are pretty good, honestly. If Carnival (who owns Princess) was going to cancel, they would've done both at the same time most likely.

It makes sense for Virgin to postpone, as this was inaugural for them...why would they want to start off in the midst of this?

And Viking is primarily through Europe, also an older demographic...not many people want to be exploring throughout Europe right now, the new epicenter of COVID-19 as things wind down in China.

RCL, NCL, and CCL all cater to younger demographics, and so far have not had any issues. People I know on cruises currently say things are perfectly fine. With spring break approaching, they likely won't cancel...it would do more damage for them, I think

And just FYI, since it was mentioned...there is not a complete travel ban on Europe. The ban prohibits EU citizens from entering the US via the EU at this time. US citizens are free to do as they please, and the US can never prevent its own citizens from coming home. Not that I'm advising you do this, but you can still go. Definitely harder with flight cutbacks, but doable...just go via the UK and buy a $15 RyanAir or EasyJet flight to elsewhere in the EU 😂

And finally, for most, yes...it's a "bad cold." But, that doesn't mean we should want to aid in spreading it. I'm an emergency physician, and I'm already seeing the toll it's taking on the healthcare community. Yes, it's definitely much more prevalent than we think. Yes, we should be testing more to get more accurate statistics. Yes, the mortality rate is much lower than currently reported. No, we likely won't fare as poorly as Italy. But yes, halting some travel and closing schools and public spaces are good measures to take to stop the spread. And yes, it still does affect many people horribly. So everyone do your part, and this will pass by the summer most likely.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, zackarykeef said:

Several things I just want to add...

I really don't think the other lines will cancel unless they absolutely have to for some reason or other. Let's be honest, Princess needs this. For whatever reason, they've had all the issues. That with the associated bad press plus their older demographic makes sense for cancellation. It won't be good for them, but it was necessary. They're also allowing full refunds PLUS FCC...their refund offers are pretty good, honestly. If Carnival (who owns Princess) was going to cancel, they would've done both at the same time most likely.

It makes sense for Virgin to postpone, as this was inaugural for them...why would they want to start off in the midst of this?

And Viking is primarily through Europe, also an older demographic...not many people want to be exploring throughout Europe right now, the new epicenter of COVID-19 as things wind down in China.

RCL, NCL, and CCL all cater to younger demographics, and so far have not had any issues. People I know on cruises currently say things are perfectly fine. With spring break approaching, they likely won't cancel...it would do more damage for them, I think

And just FYI, since it was mentioned...there is not a complete travel ban on Europe. The ban prohibits EU citizens from entering the US via the EU at this time. US citizens are free to do as they please, and the US can never prevent its own citizens from coming home. Not that I'm advising you do this, but you can still go. Definitely harder with flight cutbacks, but doable...just go via the UK and buy a $15 RyanAir or EasyJet flight to elsewhere in the EU 😂

And finally, for most, yes...it's a "bad cold." But, that doesn't mean we should want to aid in spreading it. I'm an emergency physician, and I'm already seeing the toll it's taking on the healthcare community. Yes, it's definitely much more prevalent than we think. Yes, we should be testing more to get more accurate statistics. Yes, the mortality rate is much lower than currently reported. No, we likely won't fare as poorly as Italy. But yes, halting some travel and closing schools and public spaces are good measures to take to stop the spread. And yes, it still does affect many people horribly. So everyone do your part, and this will pass by the summer most likely.

This is the hero we need.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zackarykeef said:

Thank you for your perspective and information sharing. 

Curious. Knowing what you know, would you cancel a cruise in the upcoming weeks?

8 minutes ago, zackarykeef said:

People I know on cruises currently say things are perfectly fine.

Really?  There are multiple threads on here of people currently on NCL ships who are reporting that multiple things are closed.  Not what I would consider "perfectly fine".

Edited by erin21497

5 minutes ago, wampuscat7 said:

Thank you for your perspective and information sharing. 

Curious. Knowing what you know, would you cancel a cruise in the upcoming weeks?

Personally, I wouldn't. I think it's very much a case-by-case basis. You have to look at yourself, your family, people around you, where you're from/going, etc. Is it maybe a little socially irresponsible to go on a cruise if you're coming from the Seattle area (or really anywhere, tbh)? Probably. Does that mean it won't be fine if everyone takes the proper hygiene precautions? Definitely not.

I'm tentatively scheduled to go on the Encore April 5. I actually haven't booked yet 😂My friends all booked a while ago, and I usually book within a month of cruising and get good deals...I almost booked when the prices were SUPER low last week, and just as I was about to, they jacked up the prices on cancellation day. So I'm waiting, as I suspect they will go down soon enough, even if I have to book within 48 hours of sailing after you can no longer cancel (which I've done before, again super cheap).

But I'm 30, completely healthy, live in Miami where we only just had one case in Miami-Dade county (and everyone is still going about their everyday lives), live alone and not really around older people or those with comorbidities. And although I'm an emergency physician, I'm a pediatric emergency physician, and thankfully, this virus isn't affecting the young for whatever reason we are all so thankful for. My situation is very different from others.

I look at it this way--the ships will be much less crowded, especially with the added fact that all the EU citizens can no longer get here to cruise. Less crowded is good for space, drinks, bars, and less virus spread 😂 And the crowd will generally be younger, what with the 70+ physician's clearance requirement and others cancelling for self protection.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mianmike said:

There have been various wingnut media outlets suggesting this virus is nothing more than a bad cold and it's the media who is making the virus an issue. So it's understandable why people who solely rely on these sources for their information believe coronavirus is a hoax.

Luckily there has been pushback from Vice President Pence who said that there's been 'irresponsible rhetoric' from people downplaying coronavirus. 

That's a good start.

Agree, it was one thing to blame the media conspiracy a week or two ago. But, now the WHO, CDC, and governments have been perfectly clear, so no hoax theory works anymore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

It does?  Carnival is still sailing.  Royal is still sailing.  Viking (mostly European river boats) and Princess (which has had the worst PR and infectious spread) have cancelled.  

Again, not sure why this is posted in the NCL forums.

The "Toddler" fiasco was on here forever and did not pertain to NCL.  It broke my heart.  I questioned how it pertained to NCL and got no answer. It remained and eventually the conversation was "locked".

This COVID-19 is affecting EVERYONE in their daily lives.  That little girl who died because of negligence, still makes me cry.

To all that are cruising...make good decisions, and safe travels.

🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zackarykeef said:

Personally, I wouldn't. I think it's very much a case-by-case basis. You have to look at yourself, your family, people around you, where you're from/going, etc. Is it maybe a little socially irresponsible to go on a cruise if you're coming from the Seattle area (or really anywhere, tbh)? Probably. Does that mean it won't be fine if everyone takes the proper hygiene precautions? Definitely not.

I'm tentatively scheduled to go on the Encore April 5. I actually haven't booked yet 😂My friends all booked a while ago, and I usually book within a month of cruising and get good deals...I almost booked when the prices were SUPER low last week, and just as I was about to, they jacked up the prices on cancellation day. So I'm waiting, as I suspect they will go down soon enough, even if I have to book within 48 hours of sailing after you can no longer cancel (which I've done before, again super cheap).

But I'm 30, completely healthy, live in Miami where we only just had one case in Miami-Dade county (and everyone is still going about their everyday lives), live alone and not really around older people or those with comorbidities. And although I'm an emergency physician, I'm a pediatric emergency physician, and thankfully, this virus isn't affecting the young for whatever reason we are all so thankful for. My situation is very different from others.

I look at it this way--the ships will be much less crowded, especially with the added fact that all the EU citizens can no longer get here to cruise. Less crowded is good for space, drinks, bars, and less virus spread 😂 And the crowd will generally be younger, what with the 70+ physician's clearance requirement and others cancelling for self protection.

I appreciate your candid response. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zackarykeef said:

RCL, NCL, and CCL all cater to younger demographics, and so far have not had any issues. People I know on cruises currently say things are perfectly fine.

But younger people can contract the virus and contribute to the spread. The WHO, CDC, and governments have been crystal clear in their recent directives.....avoid travel on cruise ships, especially if you have pre-existing conditions or compromised immune systems. Do your part. Yet, people will continue to defy.....good for Princess, MSC and Viking for being leaders in eliminating the possibility that they contribute to further contamination.

Edited by blcruising