Princess just cancelled sailings for 60 days.

jskinsd

19 minutes ago, jennmaybe said:

We are due to sail towards the end of April, but we are holding out and hoping they cancel so we can just get our money back. We did not pay several thousand dollars to go on a ship that has all of the activities shut down, a port that we possibly may not be able to stop at, or the possibility of being quarantined for up to 2 weeks.  That is certainly not what we paid for when we booked this back in the fall.

BINGO! We are in the exact same boat and totally aligned/on the same page 

Our cruise is the 4 day NYC to Bermuda on the Encore from April 22-26...

22 minutes ago, jennmaybe said:

We are due to sail towards the end of April, but we are holding out and hoping they cancel so we can just get our money back. We did not pay several thousand dollars to go on a ship that has all of the activities shut down, a port that we possibly may not be able to stop at, or the possibility of being quarantined for up to 2 weeks.  That is certainly not what we paid for when we booked this back in the fall.

Same.  We're on the April 12th 7-Day Western Caribbean out of New Orleans  booked since December 2018...

4 minutes ago, kenns said:

BINGO! We are in the exact same boat and totally aligned/on the same page 

Our cruise is the 4 day NYC to Bermuda on the Encore from April 22-26...

kenns—we’re booked on the same cruise. 😁 or should I do 😒

30 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Exactly.  Carnival (Princess' owner) hasn't cancelled any cruises....neither has Royal.

Not sure why this is posted in the NCL forums.  Shouldn't it be posted in the Princess threads?

Because it exemplifies the uncertainty across the industry, which potentially affects anyone holding a cruise booking. There is a non-zero probability that NCL will follow suit. Or not. Time will tell.

Just now, TeresaJ said:

Wow! I'm rattled with anxiety here since we fly down to Miami tomorrow and sail on Escape Saturday. Wondering if we will actually cruise at this point.

If possible could you let us know what boarding and the situation is like on the ship?   It would be much appreciated.

Princess and Viking are both highly traveled by an older demographic. NCL, Carnival, and Royal are known for younger cruisers. I'm sure plenty of college spring breakers are still going via Carnival and NCL, especially now that most of these will have remote classes after spring break anyway. They don't care about quarantines or fear complications from coronavirus.

2 hours ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

I would imagine if a company cancel a sailing, it's insured.  The insurance companies will be paying people back, not NCL.

Nope. Every insurance policy I’ve seen has “pandemic” as an exclusion, meaning they won’t cover anything COVID-19 related.

37 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Perhaps—but what about Viking?

Pure speculation on my part but Viking is concentrated in river cruises in Europe. The few blue water ships added in recent years operate primarily in Europe. The line caters to Americans. With air travel terminated between the USA and Mainland Europe for the next thirty days, Viking may feel it is less costly to just suspend operations than to sail half-empty ships on itineraries that may not be doable.

• Like 1

Just now, MikeBTN said:

Nope. Every insurance policy I’ve seen has “pandemic” as an exclusion, meaning they won’t cover anything COVID-19 related.

We are talking about completely different things.  I'm talking about the companies losses, you are talking about passenger losses.

We can speculate what sort of insurance arrangements NCL might have to cover their own losses during a catastrophe, but it's just speculation. 

2 minutes ago, wampuscat7 said:

Princess and Viking are both highly traveled by an older demographic. NCL, Carnival, and Royal are known for younger cruisers. I'm sure plenty of college spring breakers are still going via Carnival and NCL, especially now that most of these will have remote classes after spring break anyway. They don't care about quarantines or fear complications from coronavirus.

That's true! I'm hoping NCL doesn't cancel. We are bringing our 2 teens, one of whom is a freshman in college. His school announced yesterday that there will be no classes for 2 weeks after spring break, just online. Crazy world we are living in right now!

2 minutes ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

We are talking about completely different things.  I'm talking about the companies losses, you are talking about passenger losses.

We can speculate what sort of insurance arrangements NCL might have to cover their own losses during a catastrophe, but it's just speculation. 

Ah. I imagine they also have similar exclusions. They’ll also have limits on payouts. Trust me, the cruise line is losing most of the money, not the insurer.

24 minutes ago, BillDz said:

Because it exemplifies the uncertainty across the industry, which potentially affects anyone holding a cruise booking. There is a non-zero probability that NCL will follow suit. Or not. Time will tell.

It does?  Carnival is still sailing.  Royal is still sailing.  Viking (mostly European river boats) and Princess (which has had the worst PR and infectious spread) have cancelled.  

Again, not sure why this is posted in the NCL forums.

2 minutes ago, MikeBTN said:

Ah. I imagine they also have similar exclusions. They’ll also have limits on payouts. Trust me, the cruise line is losing most of the money, not the insurer.

Yeah, no.

NCL has creditors who are worried about norovirus and any and all things that could shut them down.

If you have a car loan, they don't let you not have full coverage insurance.

• Like 1

Just now, graphicguy said:

It does?  Carnival is still sailing.  Royal is still sailing.  Viking (mostly European river boats) and Princess (which has had the worst PR and infectious spread) have cancelled.  

Again, not sure why this is posted in the NCL forums.

Because people want to inform other people and speculate whether NCL will cancel?

• Like 3

Speculation accomplishes what, exactly?  To my knowledge, the only widespread issue with this has been on Princess.  Viking sails mostly in Europe.

I don’t mind people posting.  Just post it in the threads that deal with Viking or Princess.

I understand why Viking - a very large part of their cruisers are older (>60) - and come from the US for their river cruises.  With the new ban on travel between US and Europe - makes things difficult - with the air and all.

We have a Viking river cruise booked in August - air goes to Amsterdam there and from Budapest to Paris to home..... Travel ban would make this difficult.

Edited by krittykat

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Speculation accomplishes what, exactly?  To my knowledge, the only widespread issue with this has been on Princess.  Viking sails mostly in Europe.

I don’t mind people posting.  Just post it in the threads that deal with Viking or Princess.

It's a message board. People speculate all the time on message boards. Why should a pandemic be any different? 

Yes, there have been no issues with NCL. But everyone who traveled through Port Everglades is being asked to contact their state health dept. because 3 workers have COVID-19. Various airport and TSA employees have COVID-19. NCL is canceling "public" gatherings aboard ships. Most major sporting events in the US will be held without fans or canceled. Colleges are being cleared out and classes held remotely. It's kind of an unprecedented time. I don't see anything wrong with people speculating. There are threads about No travel from Europe, etc.

Plus NCL's handling of the situation in Asia was widely criticized by people on CC. People had flown to Singapore only to find out their cruise was canceled. There is some logic behind wondering if NCL will cancel, and if they are to cancel, when it will be. 

Edited by wampuscat7
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, krittykat said:

I understand why Viking - a very large part of their cruisers are older (>60) - and come from the US for their river cruises.  With the new ban on travel between US and Europe - makes things difficult - with the air and all.

We have a Viking river cruise booked in August - air goes to Amsterdam there and from Budapest to Paris to home..... Travel ban would make this difficult.

My guess everything will be fine by then.  The real question is how long will it take for the airlines, cruise companies, hotels, etc to recover from this?

33 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

MLS just suspended their season too.

MLS

Yet my son who plays college ball, although games suspended for this week, maybe next, and school closed, still has practices, all sports teams still practicing and still on campus....ggggrrrrr

Edited by js