How The Cancellation Credit Works

Marbel87

2 minutes ago, Eagle_and_hawk said:

I agree with you and that's what we did. I believe part of the decision, and only a part is how much is that 25% extra worth. In our case, it was $360 each and that was not enough for us to want park a FCC of around $4300 for the next two years as have no idea what the future brings and we do't want to risk losing our original cruise costs if we were unable to use it. We will just apply it to the Colonial Cruise we have booked for next July and even then, we are not going to apply it until final payment.

Great points from both you and hal2008 ... thanks!  I am going with option 2 as well.  The difference between 50% and 75% (due to the date of the canceled sailing) should be minor as we got a smoking deal on that cruise.  Plus, I have gift cards that I purchased during their last promotion that still have to be used.  And, hopefully, some Amex promotions that I can use in the future ... so, option 2 does make more sense for us.  

Now that decision has been made, I did split the payments between two different credit cards as well as Princess gift cards.  Does anyone know how that is going to work?  I guess everyone’s situation will be different so Princess couldn’t possibly answer every individual question in their FAQ’s.  Maybe this is a good question for my TA?

6 hours ago, remydiva said:

I never got an email.

went online anyways to fill in form.

I found ours in the spam folder you could check there. We chose option as 1 as we already have two cruises booked with Princess and looking at another.

6 hours ago, dockman said:

Has anyone tried to get your CASH back via a credit card chargeback if u really don't want a FCC/IOU.

I believe visa gives chargeback credits within 120 days of charge if you did not receive the product or service you paid for....or maybe there is some fine print legalise that allows them to collect your cash, not provide the cruise you paid for, and then give you a perhaps worthless IOU.

Really? READ THE NOTICE - you have two options, either cash refund + a FCC or a larger FCC.

P will dispute the chargeback, you WILL lose and the window for choosing will have passed.

• Haha 1

What if you book with a TA do they do it or do you login in and fill out the form? And what if you purchased the DG package after booking cruise is that included in the refund/fcc? Also what if two friends booked in same stateroom does 1/2 go on my captain circle acct. and they other 1/2 on hers?

48 minutes ago, bstrauss3 said:

Really? READ THE NOTICE - you have two options, either cash refund + a FCC or a larger FCC.

P will dispute the chargeback, you WILL lose and the window for choosing will have 

It hit my credit card THIS MORNING!

All $3040.92!!!!!

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Ombud said:

It hit my credit card THIS MORNING!

All $3040.92!!!!!

The Princess REFUND or the Chargeback?

If it's the charge back, then it's just a provisional credit. P will dispute it because if they don't and they accumulate enough charge backs, they get dinged on interchange fees for every transaction.

I did not dispute the charge because I did charge it. No this was the REFUND from my March 22nd cancelled cruise! I paid part with gift cards, part on PayPal, and part with Visa. But my card of record was Visa. Thought it would go to all 3 but I'm happy (off to make that $300 deposit on next cruise)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eagle_and_hawk said:

Was your cruise sitting with a travel agent or Princess? Our was with a TA and received the email from them, and never heard anything from Princess.

Nope I don’t use TA.. it was with Princess. 

3 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

I found ours in the spam folder you could check there. We chose option as 1 as we already have two cruises booked with Princess and looking at another.

I checked the spam.. THATS where I found the acknowledgement of me filling out the online form but never got an original email. 

We were scheduled to cruise March 21st. So from what I can tell from the original email, Princess has reworded this to clarify. Per my email (below), we would be given the opportunity to transfer what we've currently paid +$225 future cruise credit.

Per this post, we receive the opportunity to transfer funds +$125 future credit.

Your Departure Date In 2020 Option 1: Transfer Money Paid + Bonus Future Cruise Credit (higher value) Option 2: Refund + Future Cruise Credit (lower value)
March 12 - March 25 225% future cruise credit 100% refund + 100% future cruise credit
March 26 - April 8th 175% future cruise credit 100% refund + 50% future cruise credit
April 9th – May 10th 150% future cruise credit 100% refund + 25% future cruise credit

15 hours ago, healthworker said:

Supposed to cruise March 14. Cancelled and asked for fcc Friday when they announced new policy  
am I entitled to refund as well,ie option 2 if I cancelled already last week?  Thanks if anyone has this answer!

Yes, as long as you cancelled on Feb. 4 or after.

54 minutes ago, PensFan1028 said:

We were scheduled to cruise March 21st. So from what I can tell from the original email, Princess has reworded this to clarify. Per my email (below), we would be given the opportunity to transfer what we've currently paid +$225 future cruise credit.

Per this post, we receive the opportunity to transfer funds +$125 future credit.

Your Departure Date In 2020 Option 1: Transfer Money Paid + Bonus Future Cruise Credit (higher value) Option 2: Refund + Future Cruise Credit (lower value)
March 12 - March 25 225% future cruise credit 100% refund + 100% future cruise credit
March 26 - April 8th 175% future cruise credit 100% refund + 50% future cruise credit
April 9th – May 10th 150% future cruise credit 100% refund + 25% future cruise credit

I believe you've made a significant typo? The FCCs we will all receive from our cancelled trips (ours was on the Sky on April 4) are expressed in percentages, not $$$ amounts. So 125%, 225% etc. We are supposed to get an FCC of 175%, you will get 225% should you choose Option 1

Edited by lx200gps

52 minutes ago, PensFan1028 said:

That's not a dollar amount on the future cruise credit of $225, it's 225% for option #1, with your 3/21 sail date.

If  for example, on your cruise you paid for is $1000, then your future cruise credit would be 225%, so it would be $2250.

Edited by Eagle_and_hawk

Yes sorry the $ was a typo.... The question was how to interpret the offer as originally stated vs. how the posting reads now

Original

New

image.png.471499f84d4ba4f28570acf0c64fdb42.png

We just got off the phone with Princess.  We were told you may use your cruise credit as a bank of money to use for cruise fare or expenses. You can split it up to use on 2 cruises or you may use it as a cruise with onboard credit whichever you choose.  We are choosing option 1 getting 175% of what we paid on future cruises.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

I did not dispute the charge because I did charge it. No this was the REFUND from my March 22nd cancelled cruise! I paid part with gift cards, part on PayPal, and part with Visa. But my card of record was Visa. Thought it would go to all 3 but I'm happy (off to make that $300 deposit on next cruise)

I thought I could not get a refund on my credit card for most of my fare because most of it was paid for with gift card. Anyone else get a refund on a credit card for gift card payments? I'm wondering if this is the norm, or an anomaly. 

22 minutes ago, TNhome said:

We just got off the phone with Princess.  We were told you may use your cruise credit as a bank of money to use for cruise fare or expenses. You can split it up to use on 2 cruises or you may use it as a cruise with onboard credit whichever you choose.  We are choosing option 1 getting 175% of what we paid on future cruises.

Does this also mean you can use it for things like prepaid gratuities or excursions?

And if that next cruise gets cancelled, it just goes back in the "bank"? (our next cruise is the Diamond Princess in July, and I'd like to pay these things with my FCC I get, but I'm not too confident that the cruise will happen)

35 minutes ago, scrunchie99 said:

I thought I could not get a refund on my credit card for most of my fare because most of it was paid for with gift card. Anyone else get a refund on a credit card for gift card payments? I'm wondering if this is the norm, or an anomaly. 

I was wondering the same thing... I figured that I had paid with a gift card so was likely better to take Option 1.... but I haven't filled out the form yet...

For those who already filled out the refund form, how long did it take to get an email back from Princess like it states will happen?  We filled out our form last night and still haven’t received an email.  Yes we have checked our spam and junk mail folders.  Thanks.

Has anyone from the UK had this email. I cancelled yesterday (12th) for a cruise commencing 15 May but as I was due to leave on 12th may, the window of leaving and.probable  further cancellation was just too close for me.When I called to cancel there  was no mention of the above offer.I got some refund to Cc and some as FCC (well it hasn't come through yet,but hopefully will do)but nothing extra. 

1 hour ago, Flowergirl56 said:

For those who already filled out the refund form, how long did it take to get an email back from Princess like it states will happen?  We filled out our form last night and still haven’t received an email.  Yes we have checked our spam and junk mail folders.  Thanks.

It took about 1 minute for the confirmation email. I am wondering if they are being processed first come first served or by sail date. It’s amazing Ombud got his back already! 

I am hoping the refund for our cancelled cruise goes back on the credit card used to book the cruise.   My friend and I each paid our portion separately, as we were sharing a stateroom,  using each of our own credit cards.   Sure hope the whole amount doesn't get credited  back to just one of our credit cards.   Will see what happens.

Edited by mrsihopes

22 hours ago, koolforkatz said:

Regarding the FCC - does anyone know if the amount you receive will be based on the overall price of your cruise or the price minus port fees and taxes? 

So, I checked with my TA on this and although she wasn't exactly sure of the accuracy of her numbers she gave me, when I put it together with what was provided on the Princess website, I came to the following conclusion:

If you choose option #1, you will get all your taxes and fees paid in cash and 100% of your cruise fare in the form of a future cruise credit.  

So, if your cruise fare is $1000 pp with $150 pp being taxes and fees, $150 pp will be refunded to you in cash and $850 pp would be given to you as a future cruise credit. 

Part two, this is also the amount of the future cruise credit you would also be based on.  

With that being said, I use several different travel agents and some break out the taxes and fees a bit differently.  Instead of the $150 pp for taxes and fees, it is listed as a much higher rate for these fees, which obviously include the port charges as well.  This reduces the actual cruise fare by a LOT.  On one of my future bookings, the taxes and fees showing on the Princess website are listed as $170 pp, but on my invoice, the travel agent lists the taxes and fees as $545 pp, with a reduction by $375 pp in the cruise fare.  

Not knowing the answer to which they use for calculating that number, it's kind of hard to make a decision between option 1 or option 2.  25% more is still a big deal but the amount of the actual cruise fare they use to determine the amount of the FCC is better if they use the cruise fare that displays on their website or the cruise fare most of us never see.  

Just thought I'd throw that little brain teaser in there after I thought I already knew what option to go with.   Now, I'm questioning it again ... 

I need to make this decision on a day after my income taxes are completed!!  Too much math swimming around in my brain.  hahaha!

On 3/12/2020 at 5:22 PM, Marbel87 said:

For those of you that may have been confused like me... Princess sent you an email. In that email it says "Please let us know your preference through this easy-to-use online form."

Click that link, and you can see that your options are below.

Your Departure Date in 2020 Option 1: Higher Value Option 2: Lower Value March 12 - March 25 "100% refund as future cruise credit + 125% bonus future cruise credit" "100% refund + 100% future cruise credit " March 26 - April 8th "100% refund as future cruise credit + 75% bonus future cruise credit" "100% refund + 50% future cruise credit " April 9th - May 10th "100% refund as future cruise credit + 50% bonus future cruise credit" "100% refund + 25% future cruise credit"

Example for the dates of cruise cancellation March 12 - March 25:

Under option 1, if your cruise initially cost $1,000, that $1,000 will be put toward a Future Cruise Credit. On top of that, Princess will give you $1,250 (125%) toward your future cruise for a total of $2,250 in Future Cruise Credit.

Under option 2, if your cruise initially cost $1,000, that $1,000 will be refunded back to you. On top of that, they will give you $1,000 (100%) toward your future cruise for a total of $2,000 in Future Cruise Credit.

In this scenario, option 1 gives you $250 more credit. For me, option 2 is more appealing as it doesn't hold onto my initial $1,000.

I have looked at all the information and still don't see where is spells out that EZair reservations are included. I hope so. The Airline site doesn't show the reservation anymore.