Carnival Over 70 Fit To Sail Letter ?

48traveler

Please excuse me if this is old news. Our Carnival cruise is from Galveston on May 11th   We want to go. We are both 71 , no health issues. I am hearing via John Heald that we will need a letter from our doctors stating we are fit to sail or will be turned away. How do I find out what format this should be in and why has not Carnival contacted me regarding our booking and the need for this ? It's impossible to get them on the phone. Thanks for any advice

Doctor's note on the Doctor's letterhead would work.

Carnival is slammed... considering they have upwards of 100,000 cruising on any given day, they have a lot of people to notify.  Hopefully soon.

I think that is why John Heald is letting folks know via FB... to try to speed up the communication.

Just now, VentureMan_2000 said:

Carnival is slammed... considering they have upwards of 100,000 cruising on any given day, they have a lot of people to notify.  Hopefully soon.

I think that is why John Heald is letting folks know via FB... to try to speed up the communication.

I guess so. I waited over an hour to get them on the phone

17 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I just contacted my doctor and reused to issue a letter because the CDC is advising people not to cruise

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, adventuredancer said:

yeah none of the Dr i work for will write the letter. they have told us to just tell the patients no if they call and ask. they will not take that liability. which i think is wrong. because if you are awake of the risks, it is ultimately your life

Sorry...but if "something happens" the doctor would be liable.  I don't think any doctor would risk being sued just so someone could cruise.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Sorry...but if "something happens" the doctor would be liable.  I don't think any doctor would risk being sued just so someone could cruise.

That was my first thought when I heard about the letter. No doctor in his right mind is going to sign it. 

Denise

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

ironically many older people are not on FB

• Like 2

I am not over 70 but my husband is.  He is in good health but I know our primary Dr. wlll not sign this type of letter. Nor do I think any Dr. would. I have worked in the health field for years and realize this virus is no laughing mater. I  believe this required letter can  opens a lot of legal issues. 

Our Carnival cruise is not till Oct. Hoping this clears up and no required letter. If the letter is required I suppose this might be the end of our 40 plus cruises.

Please remember to wash your hands, cover your mouth when coughing and  sneezing ( not with your hands). Please stay home when sick.

On 3/13/2020 at 3:40 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

Just came from my Doctor this morning and he didn't hesitate one bit. Did write "is fit to ocean cruise" instead of "sail", however. He smiled when he said, you're 80 and healthier than some 50 year-olds I treat. I felt very good. 🙂

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, glrounds said:

Just came from my Doctor this morning and he didn't hesitate one bit. Did write "is fit to ocean cruise" instead of "sail", however. He smiled when he said, you're 80 and healthier than some 50 year-olds I treat. I felt very good. 🙂

As well you should! Very well done, gl! I hope many doctors have that same attitude! 👍

On 3/14/2020 at 7:51 PM, SeaHunt said:

I also doubt any doctor would want to sign this type of letter,  but here's the one RCI is asking for, just so you can see what their 70+ letter looks like. Carnival's might be way different:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/rccl-approved-physician-letter.pdf

I wonder if  it could be just edited and make into a carnival letter.

Karen

Edited by yogibear

the way this letter is written it talks about people 70 and older so I guess that a person who is diabetic (me) who is not over 70 is fit to go?  of course I doubt if my DH's doctor would sign off on him.  but you never know.  none of us know how long we have, so why be unhappy in the time we get.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, yogibear said:

Karen

If Carnival requires for those 70+ to have a letter from the doctor they will NEED TO POST IT on their main website.  It is very BAD for Carnival to roll out this requirement and let John Heald to tell people on FB.  For me I will not use other line document and modify it to comply for Carnival.

We are in the 70+  with a few health issues as aging American otherwise consider healthy and love to cruise lately so unhappy how Carnival operating.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yogibear said:

Karen

Mine is just written on my Doctor's stationery and it states quite siimply, "Mr. Gary Rounds is fit to sail on ocean cruises", and is signed by my Doctor. If I'm turned down as a passenger on a Carnival cruise ship this will be the LAST TIME. I don't tolerate ignorance.

• Like 3

How long does a letter last before it expires and Carnival won't accept it? While I'm waiting for all this stuff to quit, I could go to tmy DR and get him to write me a letter, but, if the letter is only good for a certain amount of time, I would like to know.

Dusty 

I decided to call as if to book a new cruise and got a person right away who was very nice. I apologized for cheating to talk to her as I booked our cruise online myself for May 11. I know it will probably be cancelled, but anyway, as far as the over 70 Fit To Sail letter from your doctor, I was told that was only for those few cruises that were to sail when this mess got started. She said, as of now, there are no plans to extend the need for the letter. The main reason I called is because if our cruise does sail, our doctors have refused to give us a letter, even though we are healthy. Again, I do not look for our cruise to sail and would rebook for a later date but I was concerned about needing a letter I cannot get. 

• Like 4

We are also suppose to sail on May 11th (Liberty) - my sister, who is 72 and very healthy, will be glad to hear she may not have to deal with getting a letter from her doctor.  I, like you, doubt that cruises will be sailing in May, but we can hope, right?

• Like 1