NZ closed to cruise ships until 30 June

30 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

A lot of FIFO workers come from NZ to work in mining sites in Australia. I wonder how they will manage.

I imagine they just won't come home to NZ - or they will deal with self-isolating when they do 

22 minutes ago, lissie said:

I imagine they just won't come home to NZ - or they will deal with self-isolating when they do 

Not sure how that would work as usually they have 3-4 at most 7 days off at a time. Seems they would have to stay here.

2 hours ago, Esilef said:

We were but luckily qantas gave us a refund and other parts of the trip we could cancel. Still trying to get onto air New Zealand. Their phones are busy.

We have booked with Emirates so hopefully they do the same

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 10:47 PM, Fletch1 said:

Bold decision, but with only 4 reported cases in NZ so far, probably a good move. If they get more cases show up in the next few days, may be all in vain. Let's hope not. 

But, as previously mentioned, how are they going to police the 14 day self isolation? 

On 3/14/2020 at 10:40 PM, Calabazar said:

I wonder how the NZ authorities will enforce this? All very well to make the bold announcement but if it can’t or won’t be enforced, what’s the point?

If people don't self -isolate, they will be deported.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120344713/coronavirus-tourist-to-be-deported-from-nz-for-having-no-plans-to-selfisolate

Soooo glad I live here!!

4 minutes ago, Korimako said:

What if they are New Zealanders who have returned and have to self isolate but don't?

Leigh

The operative word is 'tourist'.
For anyone else it's compulsory quarantine and a fine. Can't imagine any of my fellow countrymen going with that option!!

And health officials know who they are and check on them.

Edited by Korimako
Spelling

11 hours ago, possum52 said:

What if they are New Zealanders who have returned and have to self isolate but don't?

Leigh

All Govts have powers they draw on if needed . Should a local return and refuse to self isolate they could be arrested/seized and placed in forced quarantine . At the end of the quarantine Court proceedings would probably follow .

I believe Self isolation is done on a trust basis  , but you have to fill out forms giving where you wil be and a contact . Random checks are then carried out .As above I believe most people will comply. .Its in their own interest to do so .

• Like 1