SD2 Looks Underway on Crossing to Lisbon Today???

JES4845

For the heck of it and out of curiosity, I just now looked on Marine Traffic’s web site to see where our two favorite ships are today.  While SeaDream 1 is in port in Barbados, I found SeaDream 2 on the screen having just departed San Juan within the past hour or so (writing this around 245 PM Eastern Sunday, 15 March).  The listing says the destination is Lisbon due to arrive on March 30.  Since others have posted that the planned dry dock in Lisbon has been postponed to this October, it will be interesting to see what happens once the ship reaches Lisbon in about two weeks.  Recall when the dry dock was planned the crew was to be getting ready for the upgrades in Lisbon upon arrival, thus this crossing voyage has no passengers other than the crew. (SEE SECOND POSTING BELOW FOR POSSIBLE CORRECTION PENDING RECEIPT OF ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REQUESTED BELOW, ALL HELP WELCOME.)

Edited by JES4845
New Info

After posting the above per Marine Traffic’s web site, I checked the SD web site.  It shows that SD2 was to be on Caribbean voyages through March 29.  Thus, the destination info on Marine Traffic today may be in error.  Time will tell for sure.  That said, if anyone is on SD2 now, was on recently, or is to be on yet this month, please provide more accurate updated information.

Edit - Just read your second post after posting my reply below:

I am kind of surprised by this.   On their website, they are still showing a March 21 sailing for SD2 out of Marigot.  For info purposes, I tried to book a cabin, and though I bailed out of the booking prior to giving them a credit card, I was successful in getting everything booked till I got to the payment screen.  The cost was going to be $6823 for a normal stateroom for this 8 day cruise.

I thought one possibility SD might consider would be to extend their Caribbean season, since to date they had ports they could still visit.

Edited by DWhit

DWhit - thanks for that information, very helpful.  It is entirely possible that the Marine Traffic posting of the voyage’s destination is in error - hope so.  Others please join in with any more information.  I too thought perhaps they would extend the Caribbean season now that the dry dock has been cancelled.  Given the price you were quoted just now it doesn’t seem like any bargains were being offered, but they are no doubt in a tough situation along with the rest of the travel sector.

26 minutes ago, JES4845 said:

Given the price you were quoted just now it doesn’t seem like any bargains were being offered, but they are no doubt in a tough situation along with the rest of the travel sector.

I think that price was my fault.  When I was booking it I only entered one guest, to save time and typing.  It just dawned on me that since It was a single, the price was double the normal per person price.

Marine Traffic is not incorrect.  The Activities Manager on SD 2 posted on FB yesterday that SD is indeed headed to Lisbon.  Very sudden decision it appears as everyone (crew) was scrambling to pack and get out.  No word on why, but SD 2 isn't scheduled to sail in the Med til may 7.  So they may well be going into drydock in Lisbon.  This is before the crossing that Beignet Boy got kicked off of because they were going without guests anyway.  BB - glad Windstar offered you a refund!  The fall crossing isn't for another 7 months, so we can only hope all this will be under control by then.  No word on what SD I is doing...…..

Sounds like it may have been a corporate decision, given the BVI ban on cruises?  Just don't know and it would be nice if SD's PR were better...…..

Vandrefalk

I saw a SD2 crew member's post on Facebook last night indicating that SD2 had concluded its Caribbean season yesterday and would be heading across the Atlantic to Lisbon.  I guess that's what's happening now.

As for the SD website, no big surprise if it's not up to date.  SD seems to update their website with about the same degree of timeliness as they communicate with booked passengers.

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

SDI shows currently docked in Barbados.  Ho-Hum due to board Saturday.  Maybe.....

SDI is on the road now.  Heading out from Barbados.  We are due on board in 4 weeks.  Will be interesting, for sure.

Hi Gang!

I’ll be the one to point out the elephant in the room -  All cruise ships are extremely likely to be mothballed until a vaccine is readily available.  There, I said it.

If anyone can outline a scheme where scheduled cruises could take place before then, I’d love to hear it.

Ragnar (as my first wife and her sister used to call me, “The Prophet of Doom”) D.

49 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

All cruise ships are extremely likely to be mothballed until a vaccine is readily available.  There, I said it.

If anyone can outline a scheme where scheduled cruises could take place before then, I’d love to hear it.

I am hoping in 2 more weeks we can board our scheduled trip on a small ship with less people than the average airplane flight, that goes to the Caribbean where the the weather is warm and moist (the virus loves cold and dry) and the people who have had  Corona can be counted on one hand.   You may call me a dreamer, but am I the only one?

Don’t shoot the messenger...

From WHO website:

COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in areas with hot and humid climates 

From the evidence so far, the COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in ALL AREAS, including areas with hot and humid weather. Regardless of climate, adopt protective measures if you live in, or travel to an area reporting COVID-19. The best way to protect yourself against COVID-19 is by frequently cleaning your hands. By doing this you eliminate viruses that may be on your hands and avoid infection that could occur by then touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.

Thanks to all for the helpful posts - just saw Ho-hum’s confirmation above.

Are the SD2 cancellations only the few that were remaining in the Caribbean or are they already cancelling those on your side of the pond as well?

Sending most crew home suggests a longer set of cancellations.  Perhaps even if the Med is to eventually proceed in some fashion, between an early crossing with no passengers and the dry dock time that was in the schedule it makes more sense to send the crew home anyway.

Regardless, our thoughts go out to all affected by these developments, especially the crew and shoreside staff.  May we all be safe!

Edited by JES4845
Word missing

3 hours ago, ho-hum said:

Just been officially advised by Sea Dream that SD2 trips are cancelled.

SD2 left PR on Saturday without passengers, sailing for Lisbon with "skeleton" crew: most crew flying home.

SD1 continues to sail.

The bright spot in this cascade of negative news is the return of HO-HUM.  Welcome back old chum and keep those cards and letters coming.  Makes waking up worth it to get a daily missive from the Man! 🍸

37 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

The bright spot in this cascade of negative news is the return of HO-HUM.  Welcome back old chum and keep those cards and letters coming.  Makes waking up worth it to get a daily missive from the Man! 🍸

Hear Hear!

Oh dear, oh dear,

SD have informed us directly of our voyage cancellation in an email entitled;

Re:  IMPORTANT and URGENT UPDATE - Your SeaDream I Voyage Cancellation 3/21/2020

That our voyage in 5 days time has been cancelled BUT note the title and then the content of the message.
In one they refer to SDI but in the body of the email refers to SD2.

Dear Valued Guest,

We regret to inform you that as a result of the government restrictions announced late last week due to Covid-19 corona virus and travel restrictions impacting communities around the globe, we have been forced to cancel your upcoming voyage aboard SeaDream II sailing 3/21/2020.  We truly apologize for this inconvenience but the safety of our guests and crew is our highest priority. 

Working closely and in partnership with local, state, federal and global agencies, we are committed to taking all appropriate steps and actions to combat the spread of COVID-19.

We encourage you to immediately contact your insurance, travel and airline providers as appropriate.  We are pleased to offer you a 100% voyage credit to be used towards a future sailing through the end of 2021 on SeaDream I or II. The entire team at SeaDream wishes you a safe return home and we look forward to welcoming you on a future voyage aboard SeaDream.

If you any questions, please contact our reservations department at 1-800-707-4911.

Regards,

SeaDream Yacht Club

How can they get this so wrong ?
Years of practice.

Ho-Hum

Edited by ho-hum
Prescriptive text sux

8 minutes ago, ho-hum said:

How can they get this so wrong ?
Years of practice.

Years of practice, indeed.  Please keep us posted on this.  We are booked on SD1 voyage departing April 11 which I expect to be cancelled as well.  Thanks, HH.

10 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Don’t shoot the messenger...

Didn't mean to cast anything your way, you made a logical and cogent observation.   I had been really looking forward to this trip, and was just hoping to sneak it in before all ships are closed.

5 hours ago, ho-hum said:

Just been officially advised by Sea Dream that SD2 trips are cancelled.

SD2 left PR on Saturday without passengers, sailing for Lisbon with "skeleton" crew: most crew flying home.

SD1 continues to sail.

And how nice it is to hear from you, Ho Hum. Even with not so good news. Stay well.