Booking a Cruise that will not sail for FCD bonuses

FlaMariner

I'm not understating why April, May & June  HAL cruises that include Canadian ports are still available to book.

Given that Canada has closed all of it's ports until July 1, I can book cruises during that time and then wait for the cancel notice with the probably 125% FCD?  That way I'd be cruising for free with just a few fake bookings.

What am I missing and why is HAL still selling cruises that will not sail?

(I'm not really planning to book fake trips, but I see this as a bad loophole that HAL needs to plug, right?)

You only get the 125% FCC if you agree not to take a cash refund.  Otherwise the are only getting 100% cashback.

The net is that you are getting a 20% discount by using this.  Carnival is moving into a cash crunch and wanting to fill cruise fares through 2020 and 2021.  So selling this highly restrictive FCC for 80 cents on the dollar is probably a good deal for them.  

Edited by JeremyTexas
error

43 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Because clearing the website is not the highest priority right now. Its dealing with all the cancellations. There are thousands of passengers who need to be transported home. What do you think they should do first?

Seems as though they should hit the delete button on cruises that will not be going so that they don't have to deal with even more cancellation, work, calls and discounted FCDs.....But who am I?  I have no idea what chaos it must be working in any travel or back office/front office now.....I've made it a point not to call, email .....  We are booked on the 4/21 Zaandam to Canada and have not heard anything form HAL or TA yet and don't need to....But find it interesting that I can still book that cruise.

Edited by FlaMariner
typo

3 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Seems as though they should hit the delete button on cruises that will not be going so that they don't have to deal with even more cancellation, work, calls and discounted FCDs.....But who am I?  I have no idea what chaos it must be working in any travel or back office/front office now.....I've made it a point not to call, email .....  We are booked on the 4/21 Zaandam to Canada and have not heard anything form HAL or TA yet and don't need to....But find it interesting that I can still book that cruise.

I understand the chaos that is presently occurring in Seattle. However, how much trouble would it be to insert on HAL's home page:  "WARNING:  All our cruises are cancelled through April 21, 2020.  Listed cruises subsequent to that date are subject to change due to COVID.19", ---  or words to that effect.

This is the weirdest thing I ve read on this forum lol. If the cruises are canceled what are these people hoping for? They want to open cases and try win some money from the cruiser providers? That is silly. Buying a cruise when its officially canceled wont do any good. Also, if you manage to buy one be sure to go on the nearest cruise, cause the company would either force you to participate or leave you without money. Insurance wont help you at all.

Priorities.

HAL currently has approx 1000 employees in Seattle - only a portion of them are assigned cruise, flight reservation for passengers.  But I am sure 'all hands on deck' is real right now.

HAL currently has approx 15,000 passengers at sea / aboard ships right now. Many will need assistance rebooking flights and debarkation changes still fluid as ports close and ships halted mid cruise. Even if every employee was assigned to address this, 1 employee for every 15 pax needing assistance (for perspective). 

HAL has fleet wide crew disposition to arrange as all are not staying aboard during lay up.

HAL has to address informing cancellations for the announced 30 day shut down.

HAL has to address potential cancellations based on port closures announced past the 30 day shut down (i.e. Canada).

HAL / Carnival / Cruise Lines has to be sourcing insurance, legal and government guidance to keep operations in place.  in today's world, sharing information to quickly or incorrectly will be met with litigation.

HAL has, right now, real time, crew who do not know how to get home, if they can, how will they pay for it, will they be held  en-route, once leaving the ship. etc, etc, etc.

Is that enough to 'excuse' HAL from not updating their website and booking mechanism?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiserchuck said:

I think HAL is trying to keep cash coming in during this difficult time.  Once they start cruising again, I think prices might increase, due to the fact that so many people will have FCC that they need to use.  

That makes sense.......And the small amount they "give away" in FCDs means nothing compared to the cash coming in......Perhaps keeping cancelled cruises available for sale is a financial strategy?  

Also, the other point about people needing to spend their FCD's will drive up future prices makes sense also......The FCD may not cost them anything and will ensure full ships once this mess is over.

Smooth sailing........when we can in the future!