LaGuardia to Bayonne

Dockman123

Looking for options to get from LaGuardia to Bayonne.  We have never cruised from the New York area and am unsure of best way to get around.  I know Newark is closer but I have to use my Southwest credits before the expire.  Looking at September middle of the week arrival. Appreciate any suggestions and if you know approximate costs.

Use your Southwest credits for something else and fly to Newark.

LaGuardia is the furthest airport out from Bayonne. If you are lucky, you might be looking at a 2 hour trip. Your only option would be to book a private car, and it will be costly.

53 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Use your Southwest credits for something else and fly to Newark.

LaGuardia is the furthest airport out from Bayonne. If you are lucky, you might be looking at a 2 hour trip. Your only option would be to book a private car, and it will be costly.

While I am retired the wife is still working.  She doesn’t have the ability to take off multiple times.  Our miles expire the end of September. We don’t have a lot of choices.

Your best options are a car service such as Dial 7 www.dial7.com or Carmel Limo www.carmellimo.com , or Uber/Lyft. 

Hard to say what prices will be when you're traveling but for a standard sedan for two people figure that in each direction it could cost up to $125 including tolls and gratuity. Could be a little less or possibly a little more.

At least an hour - possibly as much as two - yellow taxi would be about $90- Uber or lyft about the same.   You could save a few $ by taking city bus LGA to 125th Street Lexington Ave. subway , then Subway (a couple of changes) to Path terminal, then Path to Hoboken then taxi to cruise terminal —- but you would be insane to even consider that level of self abuse.

Edited by navybankerteacher

24 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

At least an hour - possibly as much as two - yellow taxi would be about $90- Uber or lyft about the same.   You could save a few $ by taking city bus LGA to 125th Street Lexington Ave. subway , then Subway (a couple of changes) to Path terminal, then Path to Hoboken then taxi to cruise terminal —- but you would be insane to even consider that level of self abuse.

Yellow taxis are not required to take passengers from NY City to Cape Liberty. The only location in NJ they are required to to go to is EWR.

If a taxi driver agrees to take you to Cape Liberty the fare is not regulated and strictly a matter of negotiation between you and the taxi driver. You stand a good chance of being ripped off. You're standing on the taxi line at a busy airport, anxious to get to your destination. It's not a time or place to effectively negotiate. IMO it's extremely unlikely that you would be quoted as little as $90 for for this trip. The taxi has to come back to NY empty and pay any tolls due.

That's why it's a bad idea to take a yellow taxi to anywhere where fares aren't regulated. By taking a legitimate car service or Uber/Lyft you will be quoted a firm price before actually booking your trip.

Edited by njhorseman

58 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Your best options are a car service such as Dial 7 www.dial7.com or Carmel Limo www.carmellimo.com , or Uber/Lyft. 

Hard to say what prices will be when you're traveling but for a standard sedan for two people figure that in each direction it could cost up to $125 including tolls and gratuity. Could be a little less or possibly a little more.

Thank you for the suggestions.  I figured cost would be high.  Just trying to budget.

59 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Lol,  don’t think that is an option carrying luggage for a 9 day cruise. Thank you though.

39 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Yellow taxis are not required to take passengers from NY City to Cape Liberty. The only location in NJ they are required to to go to is EWR.

If a taxi driver agrees to take you to Cape Liberty the fare is not regulated and strictly a matter of negotiation between you and the taxi driver. You stand a good chance of being ripped off. You're standing on the taxi line at a busy airport, anxious to get to your destination. It's not a time or place to effectively negotiate. IMO it's extremely unlikely that you would be quoted as little as $90 for for this trip. The taxi has to come back to NY empty and pay any tolls due.

That's why it's a bad idea to take a yellow taxi to anywhere where fares aren't regulated. By taking a legitimate car service or Uber/Lyft you will be quoted a firm price before actually booking your trip.

Thanks for the info.  That is why I was asking for choices.  I know taxi regulations are different in every city.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 6:48 AM, navybankerteacher said:

I would abuse myself this way, how difficult traveling with a carry on? We would probably do some time in the city pre and/or post too which would make it easier too.

Maybe just a cab to Path terminal to make it easier?

Edited by bearette