Encore Cruise Departing (?) 4/12/20

47 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

NYC is in the process of getting the volunteer Medical Reserves Corp members (I'm a member of since mid-2000's) 

Thank you for your service! I am sorry for everything you are going through and hope you are able to come out the other side healthy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

If you are elderly or not in good health it is YOUR responsibility to protect yourself.  Trying to blame innocent, healthy people is ridiculous.  Do you preach the same measures for flu prevention that has already killed 10's of thousands of Americans already this season?  I didn't think so.

Exactly.  Thats why 70+  year old people will need a note from their doctor saying Johnny and Suzy can take the 7 day field trip.  There should be a decrease in medical emergencies on ships.  Progress.

1 hour ago, Love my butler said:

If you are elderly or not in good health it is YOUR responsibility to protect yourself.  Trying to blame innocent, healthy people is ridiculous.  Do you preach the same measures for flu prevention that has already killed 10's of thousands of Americans already this season?  I didn't think so.

The government is trying to protect people from those  who just don't get it. Ever heard of the phrase " It'll never happen to me"!

It can happen to anyone. I too was a skeptic at first , unfortunately this is real and hasn't even peaked yet.

It's something many have never seen before and hopefully never see again once it is controlled.

Playing Russian Roulette usually doesn't end well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Thankfully, the government, CDC, and WHO disagree with you.

No, I don't "preach" the same measures about flu. Neither does the government, CDC, and WHO. I wonder why that is? I'll give you a hint, flu is not Covid-19.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Love my butler said:

This, friends, is the selfish millennium attitude that is going to kill a lot of people.  Very sad.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, _Rick_ said:

This, friends, is the selfish millennium attitude that is going to kill a lot of people.  Very sad.

Not necessarily just millenials - I'm a millenial (barely - at the very top of the range), and I'm staying home, social distancing, cancelling travel, etc.  My aunt and uncle (boomers), won't listen to the recommendations.  They went to visit my grandparents (in their 80s with other health issues) yesterday.  My aunt said, "Pres. Trump says it's just a flu, and the number of cases is going down.  So we'll be fine." People can be selfish/ignorant at any age.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Anyone you "speak" to at NCL is a minimum wage call center person who can only read the canned messages that come up on their guest services computer screen. And the minimum wage call center person will tell you that there has been no changes to your cruise. It's like asking the counter person at McDonalds when the McRib will be back. 

At this point, NCL is happy with cancellation since they are all non-refundable deposits in their bank account. 

Yea, they never tell us minimum wage workers nothin'. 

I am on the April 12th Bliss sailing out of NYC..  I know it'll be cancelled but by NCL sending out their "48 Hour Piece of Mind" cancellation policy, it does give people pretty much up until the last minute to cancel and not lose anything..  We all know if NCL cancels the cruise, they will be out more money in the +100%'s of the FCC you get.  The longer they wait, the less they can potentially lose.  So, me personally?  I'll wait until the 49th'ish hour to cancel - then we all know they will cancel the cruise with less then 47 hours to go which will save money because most will have canceled before then and the only ones that gambled will get a bit more.   I live right across the river, so it's not a big deal for me, but there's PLENTY of people who have other reservations involved in a cruise that have to make other cancelations, like Flight, Hotel, Rental Car, Broadway Shows, etc...  I really feel for them.   In the end, all cruise lines are trying to do the right thing to all their customers whilst not losing their shirts in the process.

My flight is already cancelled and I couldn't get a flight back from Rome in May if I wanted to. Hotels are closing up as I type this. Reported occupancy is currently around 7% here in PA. I will direct my travel agent in advance to cancel my cruise 48 hours prior to the sailing. I am opting out of the Peace of Mind and will request a refund of Port fees and Taxes and beverage charges. I'll file a claim with my CFAR insurance for a 75% refund.

If NCL suddenly or abruptly cancels at any point from 48 hours until sailing date, I will consider that a deceptive business practice and in direct contradiction to their previously stated intention to finalize itineraries 30 days prior to sailing to avoid last minute changes. I'll simply initiate a chargeback with Visa for the cost of my cruise.

I still believe they'll be forced by the government here in the US and in the communities they visit to cancel all cruises scheduled for April and May. I will be relieved when that happens as it will bring closure to this situation.

1 hour ago, _Rick_ said:

Huh? Until Monday their president was calling it a Democratic hoax. Let's not blame those who listen to their president. We still don't know how bad this because we don't have nearly enough testing yet.

Edited by Waquoit
add
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, YVRBassElectric said:

Thank you for your service! I am sorry for everything you are going through and hope you are able to come out the other side healthy.

Personally, our household should be fine - we have been doing essentially, shelter-in-place for a good # of days, advantage of being early-retirees - and come up of this, eventually, months from now.  

The latest news - not just America but around the world (we watched CBC - Canada updates ...  ) are out there this morning and I stand by what I said.  One is free to ignore and stay in denial, stay on the beach for early Spring break and go about their normal daily lives. 

Perhaps, the Encore that was destined to repo to NY this Spring can be considered as a floating hotel for first responders.  

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2020/03/19/city-pursuing-plans-to-convert-entire-hotels-into-makeshift-hospitals

Two (2) members of the U.S. Congress already tested positive, expect & plan for more to be infected in the House & Senate Chambers, no "if's" and "but's" 

Millennials that feel, act invincible and speak as if they have immunity - all I can say to them is, good luck just isn't enough.  The time to panic will come, sooner or later.  

Edited by mking8288

9 minutes ago, jdate said:

Can we request a cash refund on Port fees?

I was told I could get a refund if I opted out of peace of mind policy. My nonrefundable cruise fare is subject to regular policy and penalties. Everything else is returned as cash, not FCC.

Huh? Until Monday their president was calling it a Democratic hoax. Let's not blame those who listen to their president. We still don't know how bad this because we don't have nearly enough testing yet.

You need to scale back on the CNN viewing.
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Anyone you "speak" to at NCL is a minimum wage call center person who can only read the canned messages that come up on their guest services computer screen. And the minimum wage call center person will tell you that there has been no changes to your cruise. It's like asking the counter person at McDonalds when the McRib will be back. 

At this point, NCL is happy with cancellation since they are all non-refundable deposits in their bank account. 

Just because someone is a "minimum wage call center person", it doesn't mean they don't know anything.  It is up to NCL to make sure their employees are kept up to date with the most current information to pass on to the customers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Waquoit said:

He said the criticism by the Democrats of his administration's handling of the virus was "the new hoax". He did not at any time refer to the virus itself as a hoax.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, js said:

Someone on FB Encore page just said they received an email from NCL that their May 24 cruise has been canceled. Has anyone received an email cancelation. 

Probably fake news. That cruise is still actively marketed on NCL website.

22 minutes ago, js said:

Someone on FB Encore page just said they received an email from NCL that their May 24 cruise has been canceled. Has anyone received an email cancelation. 

Nothing yet, we are booked on the Bliss on the 19th, 31 days out with multiple ports that are closed.