overhang?

chpal

Looking forward to happier times, and now spending self-isolation time planning future cruises!  So that I'm ready to book our first Viking cruise when things open up again, can someone give me some advice regarding the overhang on Penthouse Veranda suites? I'm not referring to there just being a "roof" on the balcony, but an actual overhang, cutting down on the sunshine on the balcony.

Studying the deck plans, there is apparently a significant overhang from the deck 7 Aquavit Terrace over the deck 6 suites from 6095 to 6073 (that's the side of the ship we want to be on).  Is there any overhang on the staterooms from 6015 to 6001 or, going down a deck, from 5105 to 5083 or from 5035 to 5009? 

To be clear, we're not concerned about noise, but rather having our view of the sky blocked!  Any advice would be helpful.  

Thanks!

1 hour ago, chpal said:

Looking forward to happier times, and now spending self-isolation time planning future cruises!  So that I'm ready to book our first Viking cruise when things open up again, can someone give me some advice regarding the overhang on Penthouse Veranda suites? I'm not referring to there just being a "roof" on the balcony, but an actual overhang, cutting down on the sunshine on the balcony.

Studying the deck plans, there is apparently a significant overhang from the deck 7 Aquavit Terrace over the deck 6 suites from 6095 to 6073 (that's the side of the ship we want to be on).  Is there any overhang on the staterooms from 6015 to 6001 or, going down a deck, from 5105 to 5083 or from 5035 to 5009? 

To be clear, we're not concerned about noise, but rather having our view of the sky blocked!  Any advice would be helpful.  

Thanks!

An excellent question - and one that had many many replies, comments, and great feedback, with pictures, from previous forums in Viking Ocean - within the past couple months or so.   I suggest doing a search and you'll find quite a bit of info and insight on your questions.

When we got an upgrade from DV on deck 3 to PV on deck 6 i did not hestiate.  Whats not to like?  We were in 6072.  Look at Deck and notice the beginning of a flare out that gets wider the more aft it goes.  That is the wider deck outside the World Cafe where tables are placed in warmer weather and where a person can walk from the Aquavit Terrace.  Cabin numbers 6070 and up are under this overhang.  We spent 2 weeks in cabin 6072 and did not hear any noise from the WC and it was too cold to put tables out there.  However when we took photos from our balcony, the top of each photo was framed by the overhang.

Photos from balcony on deck 3 and 4 did not show the overhang.  I am not positive but i believe the depth of all the balconies on decks 3 through 5 are the same.  The width changes between DV and PV for the inside and balcony but not the depth of the balconies.

We always try to book an Aft cabin on Deck 6 because we like the overhang.   It provides more protection from the weather (both rain and sun).   As for the view if you go to the railing your view is not blocked for photos unless you are trying to get a photo of the sky.  I do not believe "TayanaLorna"'s photo in a previous post was taken from the railing on the veranda but from a chair or maybe even the doorway since none of my photos from the railing have ever showed the overhang.

We were in 6010 PV (fore / port side ) and had no overhang.  Great location, near stairs, convenient to Explorers' Lounge/Mamsen's.  We have booked again for an upcoming cruise and will also be staying opposite side in 6007 (starboard) on another cruise.  

Edited by WestW
typo

We were in 6092 (almost all the way aft) directly underneath the overhang and it wasn't anything significant.  And I agree with Dukefan about the additional sun/rain protection.  Did hear some noise from staff setting up for breakfast, but not really a problem.