Regent: It’s time to do the right thing!

gr'aunt

So sorry to report there is 4 dead on the Holland America Zaandam.

Four passengers have died on a cruise ship near Panama after 138 crew members and guests reported flu-like symptoms.

According to Holland America Line, four older guests died on the ship.

https://wsvn.com/news/us-world/4-guests-dead-on-port-everglades-bound-cruise-ship-with-138-ill-people/

13 minutes ago, spindrift said:

Travelcat, which cruise are you on that is Turkey and Greece now?  And where did you see the new itinerary. My cruise is June 14 and thought maybe that was yours also. 

Not on cruise now - it is scheduled for May 12th (Splendor).  The itinerary is on the Regent website.

I have been reading the posts for a couple of weeks now.  Thank you so much to all of the people who have contributed.  I get more info here than from our TA (none from TA).  Our cruise on the Navigator scheduled for May 11 is still a go - has not been cancelled - even though other cruise lines have cancelled up to June 30.   Regent, do the right thing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruiseczarina said:

I have been reading the posts for a couple of weeks now.  Thank you so much to all of the people who have contributed.  I get more info here than from our TA (none from TA).  Our cruise on the Navigator scheduled for May 11 is still a go - has not been cancelled - even though other cruise lines have cancelled up to June 30.   Regent, do the right thing. 

We, too, are on the 5/11/20 voyage with you....we hope!  This came out this afternoon from NCLH: 

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings today announced an extension of its previously announced voluntary suspension of all cruise voyages to include voyages embarking between April 12 and May 10, 2020 for its three cruise brands: Norwegian, Regent and Oceania.

“With COVID-19 continuing to have a significant impact on communities throughout the world, we are extending our temporary suspension of cruise voyages across our three brands through May 10th,” said Frank Del Rio, president and chief executive officer of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings. “While we understand this disruption may inconvenience our loyal guests and valued travel partners, we are committed first and foremost to protecting the safety, security and well-being of our guests, crew, and the communities we visit. We appreciate their continued understanding as we navigate through these unprecedented times and do our part to help global efforts to contain this pandemic.”

Guests who are currently booked on voyages with embarkation dates between March 13 and May 10, 2020 on Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises or Regent Seven Seas Cruises are asked to contact their travel agent or the cruise line for more information.

• Like 1

Bearing in mind that our June 15th cruise begins in New York -virus hotspot-goes via Canada-ports closed until July 1 - and ends in Iceland -14 days quarantine -it's rather galling to be told that this cruise is still viable and that we are still required to make our final payment of 85% of the cost of the  cruise. Come on Regent indeed! Do the honourable thing! Either delay the date for the final payment or even accept the inevitable and cancel this cruise and refund our deposit. Our first cruise with Regent and itinerary specific, we don't want FCC but will judge Regent on their responsible behaviour. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've seen quite a few posts both here and on other threads asking Regent to "do the right thing" - but what, exactly, is the 'right thing'?  Most 'right things' I've heard consist of "give everyone a full refund" but with no limitations or end date.  And that's a great way to financially sink the company.  And I know THAT'S not the right thing.  

I don't know what all of the other cruise lines are doing, but I'm sure there is a lot of confusion and uncertainty with them as well.  I personally think Regent is being as fair as possible under the circumstances - and that's speaking as someone who has 100% down on a cruise in late May, another in Jan '21, and two more after that.  Somehow I don't think getting a 100% refund for my May cruise would be worth it if Regent went belly-up and I lost all my money on my subsequent cruises.

Fact is these companies have responsibilities to their shareholders and investors as well as to their loyal customers, and that's a tough balance to keep with the way things are.  I think we all need to exercise patience until things settle down a bit.

@HelenJD - have you contacted Regent and/or your TA to see what they might be able to do for you?  

• Like 3

HelenJD, we have done several cruises with Regent and have another booked mid - July, Barcelona to Venice. We had paid in full although the date for final payment is April 17th., needless to say we have cancelled the cruise. I suspect that this will mean that we lose the deposit although the bulk of the payment was refunded. 

It is tough times for cruise companies and indeed everyone. I don’t know what the ‘right thing’ is, but I do know that I/we shall not be cruising until it is safe to do so and that will be based on my risk assessment. 

Living on our small island with limited hospital facilities means thinking about things carefully. 

• Like 2

I have indeed contacted the Regent UK office and they are working on the basis the cruise is going ahead.

That being the case, it's not that I am clamouring for an immediate refund,  I totally understand the predicament the company must be in. However, it seems crazy to pay over any more money and what I was hoping for was a deferment of the final paymentuntil the position is clearer.

11 minutes ago, HelenJD said:

I have indeed contacted the Regent UK office and they are working on the basis the cruise is going ahead.

That being the case, it's not that I am clamouring for an immediate refund,  I totally understand the predicament the company must be in. However, it seems crazy to pay over any more money and what I was hoping for was a deferment of the final paymentuntil the position is clearer.

The main reason to make final payment is so that you can receive a refund IF Regent cancels the cruise.  If you cancel, you will receive FCC's.  

If Regent is able to sail in June they may have to change a few ports and still sail.  Only time will tell.  Each different and it is impossible to predict what the world will be like in a month.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, HelenJD said:

Under the circumstances, that seems totally reasonable.

18 hours ago, HelenJD said:

I totally understand.  I'll be in the same position three months from now, and I have no doubt they'll go down to the line with us.

I hope this will be the last page of this post that I started eight pages and thousands of views ago. 
* Yes, Regent has finally done “the right thing”!* 

Regent even went so far as to announce on their webpage that they will give 2 weeks notice regarding any future cancellations. So, despite comments that our weary pleas and tales of woe were falling on deaf ears (because supposedly no one at Regent had the time or was interested/paying attention to their customer-base on Cruise Critic), I’ve heard just the opposite. Thank you Regent. 

• Like 6