Regent: It’s time to do the right thing!

gr'aunt

Sorry.... it’s a game here. Passengers make final payment. Passengers get scared and cancel before Regent cancels their cruise.... thus ending up with FCC in the thousands of dollars with Regent.

I have a deposit on a late July Northern Europe cruise. Due to numerous issues at this time I’m not about to make final payment and have thousands in FCC.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your friend.  It is sad that so many flights need to be cancelled right now.  One can only hope that things will improve within a few weeks.

In terms of Regent's discretion at embarkation, they would never impose the doctor's statement on someone when they arrive at the ship without plenty of notice.  My frame of reference is our cancelled cruise that was cancelled 24 hours before embarkation.  This is when doctors statements were about to become a requirement.  It was clearly stated in Regent's communication to passengers that our cruise was exempt from the new policy.  

At the moment, I'm almost holding my breath about the news out of New York.  This could be a turning point (or, I could once again be overly optimistic).

43 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

My feelings are that we should all - stay calm - not worry about things that we cannot control - take steps to control what you can and - most importantly - do whatever it takes to stay safe and healthy!

TC,  I have been patiently waiting for the cancellation of my 4/27 departure from Barcelona.  This cruise is mostly Spain and Portugal.  Does any one think that the Explorer is going to dock in Barcelona any time soon?  I’ve looked at future cruises and there are really none that duplicate the itinerary that I signed up for.  An FCC doesn’t do it for me.  A declaration on Regent’s part of cancelation will allow me to get a significant  cost back including insurance.  The sooner the better, the clock is ticking for us!

Mad

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MadMarine said:

TC,  I have been patiently waiting for the cancellation of my 4/27 departure from Barcelona.  This cruise is mostly Spain and Portugal.  Does any one think that the Explorer is going to dock in Barcelona any time soon?  I’ve looked at future cruises and there are really none that duplicate the itinerary that I signed up for.  An FCC doesn’t do it for me.  A declaration on Regent’s part of cancelation will allow me to get a significant  cost back including insurance.  The sooner the better, the clock is ticking for us!

Mad

Really hope that a decision is made for April cruises as soon as possible.  Based on when Regent cancelled their March cruises, they may not take action until the 30 days has expired (April 12th?).  I know that waiting is horrible (I was just finishing my packing when our cruise was cancelled).  I knew that it was possible that it would be cancelled but when it actually happened, I felt half disappointed and half glad that it was cancelled.  

Hope that you will receive a refund and that your cruise will be cancelled sooner than later!

I don’t want to be misunderstood here. If “Scotty” could “beam me up “ to and from a Regent cruise, I’d go on one tomorrow (if there were one).Their cruises are uncrowded, clean, and a lot of fun! But if I have to fly on the airlines through airports, I won’t do it. Before the pandemic, I felt the same way because airlines were unreliable and overcrowded, and airports were horribly overcrowded. I saw them as places for disease transmission well before the pandemic. But it has always seemed that a Regent cruise was a healthy and invigorating experience. Just the opposite of flying to one. 

It is a shame that the quality of Regent cruises is usually combined with the need to fly on the hideous airlines and go through the worse airports, because (in my opinion) there is certainly no health danger from onboard conditions on a Regent cruise. I just wish I could safely get to one.

7 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Really hope that a decision is made for April cruises as soon as possible.  Based on when Regent cancelled their March cruises, they may not take action until the 30 days has expired (April 12th?).  I know that waiting is horrible (I was just finishing my packing when our cruise was cancelled).  I knew that it was possible that it would be cancelled but when it actually happened, I felt half disappointed and half glad that it was cancelled.  

Hope that you will receive a refund and that your cruise will be cancelled sooner than later!

Thanks, TC.  More of a rant than anything.  Like you, we are hunkered down for the duration.  Hopefully our state will shortly reach its peak and start recovery.  All the best to you and DH.  Stay safe!

Mad

And I want to say that whoever called a cruise ship a “floating Petri dish” had experience only with lines like Carnival, RCL and NCL. which are just a “moving crowd” in most places onboard. There are a number of cruise lines that aren’t that way, and Regent is one of them. Apparently the author of this expression had not been on a GOOD cruise line like Regent!  And it is a shame that Regent has to suffer financially because potential guests don’ t want  to tolerate abuse by airlines and airports.

And TC2, let me say that the airline did not HAVE TO cancel our friends flight. It did so because they couldn’t make a profit from it, regardless of the fact that ticket holders relied on their contract. I don’t often say regulation is needed, but I do so about abuse by airlines now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrstanley said:

Sorry.... it’s a game here. Passengers make final payment. Passengers get scared and cancel before Regent cancels their cruise.... thus ending up with FCC in the thousands of dollars with Regent.

I have a deposit on a late July Northern Europe cruise. Due to numerous issues at this time I’m not about to make final payment and have thousands in FCC.

I wouldnt be making a final payment now regardless of what incentive they offered , if any. As a matter of fact , we had deposits for two future cruises with Regent and have just canceled them. I rather wait and see how the industry shakes up and where prices go. Hope I dont have to wait 90 days for the return of my deposit $$$ as reported by some customers. 

57 minutes ago, MadMarine said:

Mad

Sadly, the only reason I can find that Regent is not outright canceling this (and prior) cruises is protecting their cash flow. Hotels in Spain were closed earlier this week indefinitely, and as discussed in other posts airlines for the most part are not flying there. Port currently closed and government is looking to extend that and other restrictions through April. Don't blame you for not wanting an FCC, hope you get your $$$ soon 

And I want to say that whoever called a cruise ship a “floating Petri dish” had experience only with lines like Carnival, RCL and NCL. which are just a “moving crowd” in most places onboard. There are a number of cruise lines that aren’t that way, and Regent is one of them. Apparently the author of this expression had not been on a GOOD cruise line like Regent!  And it is a shame that Regent has to suffer financially because potential guests don’ t want  to tolerate abuse by airlines and airports.

And TC2, let me say that the airline did not HAVE TO cancel our friends flight. It did so because they couldn’t make a profit from it, regardless of the fact that ticket holders relied on their contract. I don’t often say regulation is needed, but I do so about abuse by airlines now.

In my heart, I believe that Regent (and other cruise lines) do not want to make decisions until they know what the future (meaning the next 3-6 weeks) looks like.  For instance, who would have guessed that New York would be showing a slight decrease in hospitalizations for the past 3 days?  This is a crap shoot - absolutely no one knows what will happen - whether it will take 3 weeks, 3 months or ???

mrstanley:  I did see passengers cancel our March 14th cruise only days before Regent cancelled.  I understand the fear but also understand that Regent will cancel cruises if it is not safe.  Everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with.  It was a very difficult decision to not cancel our March 14th cruise.  We actually would have cancelled if my DH and I agreed.  For whatever reason, he wanted to cancel when I didn't and I wanted to cancel when he didn't.  So, without 100% agreement, we stay the course.  It ended up working in our favor but we both wish that somehow the cruise would have gone forward.  Over dinner tonight, we discussed how we got through the cancellation of our cruise without a harsh word or disagreement.  This is rare - even for us (and we do not argue much).  We were also in 100% agreement to book the May 12th cruise (that will likely not happen - but, at the time we had hope).

I do have one question for you since I believe that you lie in the U.K. (apologize if I am wrong).  If a passenger in the U.K. cancels a cruise 2-3 months prior to embarkation, is there typically a fairly large penalty?  If, like the U.S., there is, isn't it better to receive FCC's rather than losing your money? Sorry - that was two questions!

Dolebludger - the airlines are hurting as much as other industries.  If they cannot make any money, they cannot fly.  Hopefully the bail-out will help airlines and that other people that have an urgent need to fly will be able to do so.

Yes, Regent has April cruises to closed ports, with no evidence that these ports will soon open. And I agree that these should be canceled immediately, to allow booked guests a CASH refund. I am tempted to say that this is a “cash hoarding” exercise by a cash poor cruise line. But I hope that is not the explanation. Perhaps Regent, like all of us, is just confused by what to do in the face of the first international pandemic in our lifetimes. Perhaps cruise lines will eventually join with me in calling for airline re-regulation? In the old days of airline regulation, there were two of us on a 747, and it still flew, because it was required to do so.

And airlines hurting? No. On domestic flights, the last time we flew, we were in business/first and had less room than we used to have in coach. And service wasn’t any better than we used to have in coach, either. But the price was far over cost of living increase.it doesn’t make sense, except airlines now have a monopoly over routes, and they are using it!

Edited by Dolebludger

Dolebludger - I truly do not believe that this is the time or place to discuss airline "re-regulation" as it has nothing to do with the horrible pandemic that we are all faced with.  

Sorry - but must disagree that any cruise line is "cash hoarding".  They are trying to stay alive just like the rest of us.  

Unfortunately, the old days are the old days and are not likely to return.  We traveled the world with frequent flyer miles in the "old days".  We were able to do an around the world trip - business class - on Qantas and TWA for 125,000 miles for both of us.  Do I wish that we could do that again?  Absolutely.  Will it happen again?  No.  As difficult as it may be, we are forced to adapt to the 21st century (something that is more difficult for my DH who is considerably older than you or I am but he has adjusted).  Having said that, I doubt if anyone is more worried about their spouse than I am. He is worried about me as I have had a chronic (potentially deadly) illness for 6 years.  Neither of us wants to live without the other so we take measured risks but nothing too crazy.  

I do not like to share this information but if it helps one person to put things into perspective, it is worth it.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

TC2,,

OK, but all cruise lines are in terrible financial shape, and the poor service on airlines most of us have to tolerate couldn’t be helping them.  And what, prey tell, is wrong with re- regulation of the airlines? As I write this, they are lined up for a Fed bail out. If they get it, shouldn’t they have to give something=g in return? Like decent service? I find the best airlines are government owned (Air Tahiti Nui, Iceland Air for two examples).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

TC2,,

OK, but all cruise lines are in terrible financial shape, and the poor service on airlines most of us have to tolerate couldn’t be helping them.  And what, prey tell, is wrong with re- regulation of the airlines? As I write this, they are lined up for a Fed bail out. If they get it, shouldn’t they have to give something=g in return? Like decent service? I find the best airlines are government owned (Air Tahiti Nui, Iceland Air for two examples).

There is nothing wrong with discussing airlines.  The Regent board is simply the wrong place to have the discussion.  I believe that CC has a board dedicated to airlines.  Maybe if you post there, the discussion would be more fruitful.  On the other hand, Cruise Critic is really about cruising.

13 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

And to get to a Regent cruise most have to fly commercial, and these planes are “flying Petri dishes”

I am not suggesting that anyone should fly at the present time, but this article does not necessarily support your hypothesis. This is the relevant paragraph:

"If you have to fly, it's a common belief that you are more likely to become ill on an aeroplane, because you're breathing "stale" air.

In fact, the air on a plane may well be better quality than in the average office (and almost certainly better than a train or a bus).

There are more people per square foot on a busy plane, which can increase the risk, but the air is also being changed at a faster rate"

Back to cruising and Regent in particular.

Many of us agree that Regent's communications regarding their plans for future cruises, particularly those scheduled for April & May, is less than ideal. That includes communications to their booked customers & Travel Agents, on their website and on social media.

Here is a suggestion for a proactive communication that Regent could make, and update regularly, to assist customers and TAs around the world:

"Until we know that we can safely start operating each of our ships we do not intend to give a firm date for full resumption of our services. Rather we will give an update weekly on our intentions based on the best information available at the time.

This week's update:

• Sailings up to xxDATExx  are cancelled
  • New sales of suites on cruises up to xxDATExx are suspended
  • Refunds & FCCs for cancelled cruises up to xxDATExx are now being processed

Note that we will endeavour to ensure that no cruise is cancelled within 14 days of sailing to ensure that guests are given sufficient time to cancel pre-cruise arrangements and to avoid abortive travel

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I can't believe that some people think that if they just magically got on a Regent cruise they would be safe because there are fewer people on the ship and that Regent somehow cleans better. All it takes is one sick person, who may not even know that they are sick, to start the chain of infection. I'm sorry to be so direct but this type of logic is unbelievable to me.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Back to cruising and Regent in particular.

Many of us agree that Regent's communications regarding their plans for future cruises, particularly those scheduled for April & May, is less than ideal. That includes communications to their booked customers & Travel Agents, on their website and on social media.

Here is a suggestion for a proactive communication that Regent could make, and update regularly, to assist customers and TAs around the world:

"Until we know that we can safely start operating each of our ships we do not intend to give a firm date for full resumption of our services. Rather we will give an update weekly on our intentions based on the best information available at the time.

This week's update:

• Sailings up to xxDATExx  are cancelled
  • New sales of suites on cruises up to xxDATExx are suspended
  • Refunds & FCCs for cancelled cruises up to xxDATExx are now being processed

Note that we will endeavour to ensure that no cruise is cancelled within 14 days of sailing to ensure that guests are given sufficient time to cancel pre-cruise arrangements and to avoid abortive travel

Excellent post flossie. Perhaps Regent should be hiring you in their communications team.

One of my concerns is that the amount of undue stress this is causing not just new customers such as ourselves but to all booked passengers. Frequent Regent cruisers have a better judge of how well they have been looked after before, so far they appear to be struggling to provide the same level of customer care.

Your suggested method is succinct and clear. It is pretty straight forward and provides the right information.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Foggyzx9r said:

Excellent post flossie. Perhaps Regent should be hiring you in their communications team.

One of my concerns is that the amount of undue stress this is causing not just new customers such as ourselves but to all booked passengers. Frequent Regent cruisers have a better judge of how well they have been looked after before, so far they appear to be struggling to provide the same level of customer care.

Your suggested method is succinct and clear. It is pretty straight forward and provides the right information.

GREAT POST

But I think the lack of communication is coming from NCLH if you scan the NCL and O boards it is the same

There is no transparency at all

The Splendor is sched for 4/16 from NYC does Regent realize it is a EPI CENTER

They changed the itinerary from Venice to Athens but the air routing  home are still from Venice

Yet they updated the TOUR selection page to buy tours  !!!

As of this date NO documentation but the mail box is full of brochures every day

Come on Regent if you are a step above the rest of the cruise lines SHOW IT and cancel the early spring trips

Edited by etual324
spelling
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Foggyzx9r said:

Perhaps Regent should be hiring you in their communications team.

🥰 Thank you ................ I will try to resist cynical comments about communications teams 🙄

In case Regent no longer monitors this Board, perhaps someone with friends in high places in NCLH might pass on the suggestion.

Edited by flossie009