P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

5 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

I read this morning that the NHS paid a Swiss firm £3.8 million to develop the app but they are now considering changing to an app that already existed as it will be more effective.

That's a good move isn't it🤔 ??Fluid situations require modifications to proceedures. That's normal.

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

That's a good move isn't it🤔 ??Fluid situations require modifications to proceedures. That's normal.

Wouldn't it have been better to go with an existing option immediately, rather than wasting time and money trying to develop a new one, that was incompatible with the rest of the world?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Wouldn't it have been better to go with an existing option immediately, rather than wasting time and money trying to develop a new one, that was incompatible with the rest of the world?

Agreed, but we are allowed to try different,sometimes that's right. Most railway tracks are four foot,eight and a half inches😂

Edited by zap99
Spellcheck

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Agreed, but we are allowed to try different,sometimes that's right. Most railway tracks are four foot,eight and a half inches😂

I would think that in a crisis you would opt for a tried and tested option, rather than try and invent a new one.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, pete14 said:

As this thread has become virus central at present, just to add that I find it curious that the leaked 2 week isolation for people coming to the country from next week is supposed to help prevent a second spike in the infection rate whereas a couple of months ago, before the first spike, it was ruled out because it wouldn’t work. An error then that they seem determined not to acknowledge or a pointless action probably coming in next week?

Code named operation Stable Door. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

But track, trace and test would not be able to keep people isolated, it will only work either if someone who thinks they are infected declares it on their phone when they have symptoms which should trigger a test or if the supposed isolated person comes close to someone who has declared symptoms. I don't suppose every visitor to the country will have a smartphone anyway.

Yes of course this relies on everyone being honest, which most people are, and at present we have very few visitors, unless you are counting the illegal immigrants swimming the channel , and even they seem to have smart phones, since they are using them to navigate and call 999 when they get into trouble.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I think the govt hope that now they will  have sufficient testing capacity , and tracing with the new app. to make it viable now  compared with 2 months ago.

Yet another testing foul up I'm afraid.  And as the Telegraph says (and this is a government supporting paper!), the UK has failed to meet the 100,000 a day testing target every day for the last week, and only 'met' it once ever by posting 40,000 testing kits to people at home to fiddle the figures!

No wonder we've got the second highest death rate in the world after the US, a much larger country.  This is a tragic performance by our government, for which they should be deeply ashamed.  We'll see what the PM has to say later today, but I guess he'll be saying how well we've done, as usual.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/09/lab-issues-force-government-fly-50000-coronavirus-tests-us/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tommart said:

Yet another testing foul up I'm afraid.  And as the Telegraph says (and this is a government supporting paper!), the UK has failed to meet the 100,000 a day testing target every day for the last week, and only 'met' it once ever by posting 40,000 testing kits to people at home to fiddle the figures!

No wonder we've got the second highest death rate in the world after the US, a much larger country.  This is a tragic performance by our government, for which they should be deeply ashamed.  We'll see what the PM has to say later today, but I guess he'll be saying how well we've done, as usual.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/09/lab-issues-force-government-fly-50000-coronavirus-tests-us/

Strange you mention the US but fail to mention less populated countries that have a higher death rate than the UK.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

Strange you mention the US but fail to mention less populated countries that have a higher death rate than the UK.

Sadly, in terms of reported deaths per reported cases, our rate of nearly 15% puts us second behind Belgium. This of course does not include the large number of people who have self diagnosed without a test having been done and recovered (in all countries). We are told that our figure is higher because we now include deaths in all settings not just in hospital but this was done through the choice of our government. There are so many variables in any of the stats and in how countries choose to compile their figures but there is no denying the fact that tragically we are not doing well.

Edited by pete14
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Sadly, in terms of reported deaths per reported cases, our rate of nearly 15% puts us second behind Belgium. This of course does not include the large number of people who have self diagnosed without a test having been done and recovered (in all countries). We are told that our figure is higher because we now include deaths in all settings not just in hospital but this was done through the choice of our government. There are so many variables in any of the stats and in how countries choose to compile their figures but there is no denying the fact that tragically we are not doing well.

Latest figures I have for deaths per 1m population for some major countries are:

USA 242, France 403, UK 465, Italy 503, Spain 566 and Belgium 740.

So, not good, but not the worst and we are counting all deaths where Covid-19 is suspected to have played a part.

Can't comment on the others.

This, from Huw Edwards tw... this morning (you know where I mean)

An A&E doc in S Wales posts

Very worrying

(RCT = Rhonda Cynon Taff, I think)

AF1F5E4C-0B81-4C5B-9E80-8418BDC5B84E.jpeg

Edited by Eddie99
Clarification
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

This, from Huw Edwards tw... this morning (you know where I mean)

An A&E doc in S Wales posts

Very worrying

(RCT = Rhonda Cynon Taff, I think)

AF1F5E4C-0B81-4C5B-9E80-8418BDC5B84E.jpeg

The NHS have my sympathy ,we just knew this was going to happen and will be replicated at most A&E's 

up and down the country.

They will have the nerve to stand clapping again this Thursday night ... unbelievable !

• Like 1

Breaking news on the BBC website

1. In South Korea, renewed restrictions are imposed after a series of transmissions linked to Seoul's leisure district
  2. President Moon says the nation should "brace for the pandemic's second wave" even as it cautiously reopens

... and they got away with a very light toll in the first wave

6 minutes ago, Pine Man said:

Everybody is worried about a second wave..................how many are we allowed?

I think that’s the problem 

it could be like another number of viruses that we have never found a cure for that just keeps going round and round etc. 

12 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I think that’s the problem 

it could be like another number of viruses that we have never found a cure for that just keeps going round and round etc. 

I think you should be safe now. I see you have flitted to the moon :classic_biggrin: Hows the lockdown going up there?

I bet self isolating is a breeze :classic_smile:

Sorry couldn't resist when I  saw your location change .:classic_wink:🌙

Edited by kalos
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Breaking news on the BBC website

1. In South Korea, renewed restrictions are imposed after a series of transmissions linked to Seoul's leisure district
  2. President Moon says the nation should "brace for the pandemic's second wave" even as it cautiously reopens

... and they got away with a very light toll in the first wave

Which could show that the theory that a severe lock down reduces the ability of the population to develop herd immunity is correct. The lock down merely delays the inevitable. 

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Which could show that the theory that a severe lock down reduces the ability of the population to develop herd immunity is correct. The lock down merely delays the inevitable. 

It could.  But on the other hand:

https://www.sciencealert.com/why-herd-immunity-will-not-save-us-from-the-covid-19-pandemic

I suppose it depends how many old and vulnerable people the government is prepared to sacrifice.

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Spot on Wowzz. 

We were never in lockdown to stop the virus, just slow the spread. 

Now the Nightingales are ready, we can 'afford' another wave. 

Scary stuff... 

Andy 

• Like 3

On another note. Today here is raining and looks quite ugly and grey outside. We are having a Sunday lunch. I’m making hubby cook. 
yesterday was lovely outside. So much so that hubby convinced me to get my legs out. They are now pink and burning. 

still got school work for my 5yr old yo finish and I’ve lost all motivation 

how did you weekends go my lovely peeps 

24 minutes ago, kalos said:

I think you should be safe now. I see you have flitted to the moon :classic_biggrin: Hows the lockdown going up there?

I bet self isolating is a breeze :classic_smile:

Sorry couldn't resist when I  saw your location change .:classic_wink:🌙

the moon is perfect. Surprisingly better than I would have thought. Although getting a delivery there is near on impossible. I’ll come back down to earth when it’s safe. If not I will be taking my holidays on Mars 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On the other hand ,maybe this invisible virus has decided to show itself .

The Government want us to now to "Stay Alert" for this virus !

So next time your out at the shops keep a lookout for it and be prepared to dive 

in some hedgerow until it passes you by. 

Or at the very worst prepare to swat the virus with your daily newspaper !! :classic_wacko:

Stay alert folks .. Whatever that means .:classic_unsure:

1530127206_newvirus.jpg.c049141ff103e113d25b93a72eff23be.jpg