P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I went to our local shopping centre with my daughter this morning, mainly for her to see how things are and what to expect when she starts back at work in the next few weeks (in retail) she hadn't been to the shops since 20th March. There were smallish queues for Sainsbury's and M&S but the other shops that were open seemed very quiet. Many people had masks on and most were sticking to the one way system and keeping their distance but there's always a few that don't.

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I can't believe the numbers of shoppers that are being shown on the news today.  They were showing huge queues waiting to do go into Primark, not a shop that I usually shop in but I can't imagine what they are selling that people are desperate to buy.  They interviewed a lady who said she was desperate to buy some new clothes.  I don't see the point of going into crowded places right now, if I was desperate I think that I would order on line.  Am I just being stupid not understanding the need to shop ?

I could do with going Wilko for paint. Don’t fancy paying for delivery and could do with   Leggings for Scarlett from primark. She is ridiculously tall and won’t stop growing. 
someone put on face cloth a video of parkgate primark and the queue was stupid. I wouldn’t do that. 

I am going to the seaside tomorrow though and I am excited 

• Like 4

We went out yesterday for our first non-essential journey since 23rd March.  I have been working throughout, so I've been driving either to work, to the shops or to my sister's to drop off groceries for her and her husband.  

But yesterday, we went for a drive........to a few deserted churchyards in the next county!

We've just started tracing Dave's family tree,  so went to get some details of the info on family memorials as a starting point.

For someone in a funeral-related trade, it was a true busman's holiday!  And it rained!

• Like 3

What beach are you going to Vampiress88 ? If you live near me you could go to my local beach in Southbourne and look out to sea with Arcadia and Aurora anchored  just off shore , makes me fill I'm on holiday . I too went shopping today in primemark no queues to also get leggings for my granddaughters Scarlett & sienna , can't grumble at £2 each and a few unicorn t shirts at £1.80 , 😉

8 hours ago, bobupandown said:

Have a good day at the seaside tomorrow Vampiress88, it will be empty they will be all queuing at the shops.

We went to Bridlington today, it was great and not packed.  

Awesome. We are taking the kids bikes so they can ride up and down. Just really going for a change of scenery and something to do. Maybe get fish and chips etc. 

just so long as the toilets are open then that’s all I really need. Will

be glad it’s not busy. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobupandown said:

Have a good day at the seaside tomorrow Vampiress88, it will be empty they will be all queuing at the shops.

We went to Bridlington today, it was great and not packed.  

what was open at Bridlington?

15 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I could do with going Wilko for paint. Don’t fancy paying for delivery and could do with   Leggings for Scarlett from primark. She is ridiculously tall and won’t stop growing. 
someone put on face cloth a video of parkgate primark and the queue was stupid. I wouldn’t do that. 

I am going to the seaside tomorrow though and I am excited 

Wiklo in our town didn't shut.

We went for a lovely walk on Saturday in some gardens called ‘Hole Gardens’ hadn’t heard of them before but it was lovely. They were serving sandwiches and drinks at outside tables and it was very nice. We got there early so didn’t need to even think about social distancing. 
My day off tomorrow but rain forecast so I probably won’t even go for a little walk around my local streets. 

23FF38BE-C3D6-4016-B239-582BCDAF5E5C.jpeg

• Like 3

As for the queues in shops - ridiculous! One woman was queuing at Primark just for a pair of socks 😂.

I like shopping but like Andy we normally involve a lovely lunch amongst the shopping. As I don’t need to shop for cruise clothes I’m not interested.

As for children growing out of clothes, I ordered online from Asda  for my grandson and they’re not expensive. 

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

As for the queues in shops - ridiculous! One woman was queuing at Primark just for a pair of socks 😂.

I like shopping but like Andy we normally involve a lovely lunch amongst the shopping. As I don’t need to shop for cruise clothes I’m not interested.

As for children growing out of clothes, I ordered online from Asda  for my grandson and they’re not expensive. 

I sometimes buy from Asda for the girls but not regularly. One dress from there £5. 
I can get both girls a dress each for £5 from primark. 

makes loads of difference to us when they grow so fast

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I sometimes buy from Asda for the girls but not regularly. One dress from there £5. 

Yes and when they are twins like my granddaughters it’s double expensive, so good for everyday clothes then once a year I buy them a pretty dress from monsoon, they are 7 yrs old but I buy 8/9 for them 

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Is this good?

patio 3m x 6.5m Indian sandstone 

removing the old patio stones

£2300

didnt end up going to Bridlington. Unfortunately the children didn’t behave. Aww well better luck next week

Funny you should mention patios.  We’re looking to get one done too, and I’m getting quotes.  

Had one for £2800, Indian sandstone, 7.5m x 5m.  Nothing to remove, apart from soil.  No idea whether that’s reasonable or not till I get more quotes.

Do we have any experts in here?  Advice welcome + advice on thickness of slabs needed for summerhouse.

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

Yes I get that, I’m not a huge fan of Primark as I don’t see anything for myself there! I’ve got the odd thing but most of the shop just looks like a huge jumble sale.
Anyway Nanny’s have to spoil their grandchildren! 😁

I wouldn’t queue for any shop for that long! In fact recently we have turned away when we’ve seen big queues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Funny you should mention patios.  We’re looking to get one done too, and I’m getting quotes.  

Had one for £2800, Indian sandstone, 7.5m x 5m.  Nothing to remove, apart from soil.  No idea whether that’s reasonable or not till I get more quotes.

Do we have any experts in here?  Advice welcome + advice on thickness of slabs needed for summerhouse.

Paulines brother is a builder and cut all our granite slabs.

He put a good quantity of hard core down first and used a whacking machine to firm down the hardcore.

Beware anyone who puts slabs on soil or even sand as it will sink.

Our patios have been down over 10 years and still perfect.

Graham

IMG-20200517-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200517-WA0002.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

He put a good quantity of hard core down first and used a whacking machine to firm down the hardcore.

Graham

IMG-20200517-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200517-WA0002.jpg

your garden is beautiful 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Graham

That's a delightful garden you have there, Graham!  And Pauline! 

I very much appreciate the advice too - I'm absolutely useless with my hands and heavily reliant on experts.  Trouble is, some of the 'experts' also wear cowboy hats.  

I need a firm base for the summerhouse, and the first guy reckoned 25mm Indian sandstone slabs would be fine.  He may be right (I have no idea) but getting him to put anything in writing, particularly about the base (he mentioned 100mm crushed stone, which sounded OK) or a weedproof membrane proved difficult.

Anything involving building work leaves me way out of my depth - always good to get advice, so thanks again.  🙂

Harry

Edited by Harry Peterson

25 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That's a delightful garden you have there, Graham!  And Pauline! 

I very much appreciate the advice too - I'm absolutely useless with my hands and heavily reliant on experts.  Trouble is, some of the 'experts' also wear cowboy hats.  

I need a firm base for the summerhouse, and the first guy reckoned 25mm Indian sandstone slabs would be fine.  He may be right (I have no idea) but getting him to put anything in writing, particularly about the base (he mentioned 100mm crushed stone, which sounded OK) or a weedproof membrane proved difficult.

Anything involving building work leaves me way out of my depth - always good to get advice, so thanks again.  🙂

Harry

Thanks Harry,we have lived here 38 years.

Paulines brother is a perfectionist and put in proper foundations and filled it up with cement for both our conservatory and garden room.

For the patio he used Dolomite hardcore and used a whacker machine to flatten it.

The granite slabs are 50mm thick.

He uses a unique drainage system so the patio never floods.

I would highly recommend contacting a trade organisation like check a trade.com and get references.

If they use sand or direct onto soil you will get sinkage in a fairly short time.

Graham

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Graham

IMG-20200517-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200517-WA0002.jpg

beautiful garden Graham and Pauline, I could come and have a holiday in your garden and be very content, no need for my cruise 😊

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

beautiful garden Graham and Pauline, I could come and have a holiday in your garden and be very content, no need for my cruise 😊

Thanks.

During lockdown we have spent a lot of time in the garden and not missed our cruise.

• Like 1