P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Sorry to hear that Damian, maybe now is the time to apply for anything and everything providing it gives a living wage.

Also keep looking for your qualified job ,never give up.

Things are hard with the recession and there are airline pilots working as delivery drivers until they get back into 

their ideal jobs again .

One day you will get the job you desire ,never give up and good luck for the next application .:classic_smile:

Thanks Kalos, I completely agree. In fact, I've just applied for 2 jobs which you could say are "way below my pay grade" with the latter offering circa £20k per year. I was earning more than that 25 years ago but as you suggested it's an employers market right now. 

• Thanks 1

Super photos, thank you Grapau. I love the way you two get out about together - we used to do that. And (and I know you shouldn't start a sentence with 'and'😉) I love the Kirkstone Pass; Hardknott and Wrynose next?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AnnieC said:

Super photos, thank you Grapau. I love the way you two get out about together - we used to do that. And (and I know you shouldn't start a sentence with 'and'😉) I love the Kirkstone Pass; Hardknott and Wrynose next?

Thanks Annie.

Liverpool next week.

Graham.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

29°C in the Lake District today.

1 Lake Ullswater.

2 Kirkstone Pass.

3  Lake Windermere.

4 Lunch at a hotel in Keswick.

Wow, Graham - you and Pauline get about!  Other side of the country today then.  

Good on yer - who needs cruising?  Great to see you both obviously having such a great time!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good on yer - who needs cruising?  Great to see you both obviously having such a great time!

Thanks Harry.

Keswick is 100 miles from home then we went to Bowness near Windermere.

Just went over Kirkstone pass now sitting overlooking Ullswater.

I'm used to driving long distances being a Rep for 40 years.

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It's a good part of the country for getting around - very narrow oop north (as I know you know). Close family live in north Cumbria and their nearest hospital with decent facilities is in Newcastle.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

It's a good part of the country for getting around - very narrow oop north (as I know you know). Close family live in north Cumbria and their nearest hospital with decent facilities is in Newcastle.

Love it up there, Annie.  Made the mistake once of going to Devon during the school holidays - never again.  Much quieter places to be found in the north and the east, with empty roads and beaches.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Love it up there, Annie.  Made the mistake once of going to Devon during the school holidays - never again.  Much quieter places to be found in the north and the east, with empty roads and beaches.

Ditto. My favourite place in the world - the North Yorkshire Moors. We spent last Christmas there, after my husband died. Utterly wonderful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DamianG said:

Another day, another job application rejection for me (I've stopped counting now so don't know how many that is). It was a Civil Service position and at least they have the courtesy to inform you that you have been unsuccessful. They also gave some extra information stating that there had been 6000 (yes - six thousand) applicants 🤯

Sorry to hear that.Hope you manage to get a suitable job soon.My niece who lives in Leeds is applying for jobs there too but getting quite disheartened by the rejections.She is applying for lots of posts but often she is told she is over qualified .She has had a few interviews but finds it quite difficult doing interviews via Zoom!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

Damian - good luck

”they” say the best way to get a job is to be in a job, so I think your strategy is right

Thanks Eddie and you're right. I've been told several times only 10-20% of vacancies are filled by advertised jobs.

57 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Sorry to hear that.Hope you manage to get a suitable job soon.My niece who lives in Leeds is applying for jobs there too but getting quite disheartened by the rejections.She is applying for lots of posts but often she is told she is over qualified .She has had a few interviews but finds it quite difficult doing interviews via Zoom!

Thanks Ann.

4 hours ago, DamianG said:

Another day, another job application rejection for me (I've stopped counting now so don't know how many that is). It was a Civil Service position and at least they have the courtesy to inform you that you have been unsuccessful. They also gave some extra information stating that there had been 6000 (yes - six thousand) applicants 🤯

Keep plugging away Damian. 

Cream rises.. 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

When I picked family up at Lamezia on Tuesday,army at terminal doors,only passengers and staff allowed in or out of building.Online gov.UK form and Calabria regional online form before entry allowed at passport control.

Certainly more careful in Italy than at  our airports. Enjoy your family time. 

Sis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very envious of your 20 degrees Graham, was well over 30 again here. Say hello to Anfield for me 😀
We had a very small storm early evening and a little bit of rain. Woke up at 6am still very muggy.

Definitely feels much cooler now, might even be able to do some ironing!

Hoping I won’t be unbearably hot with the dreaded afternoon shift in the south facing bedroom today!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 3

We relaxed our border restrictions a few weeks ago allowing residents to travel away on the proviso they quarantine for 14 days on return after having to fill in loads of forms giving contact details etc. so they could be checked up on. The first idiot that was trying to be clever got jailed for 6 weeks yesterday so he’ll be sweating it out in our local nick aka the Jurby Hilton now. No doubt there’ll be a few more before the message gets across

• Like 4

16 hours ago, AnnieC said:

Ditto. My favourite place in the world - the North Yorkshire Moors. We spent last Christmas there, after my husband died. Utterly wonderful.

Hi Annie.

I'm really sorry to hear about your husband but pleased you had a wonderful time on the North Yorkshire Moors.

We often visit Whitby then pop along to see Heartbeat village(Goathland) on the way to Pickering and Malton.

Helmsley is also a lovely place to visit.

Graham.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Annie.

I'm really sorry to hear about your husband but pleased you had a wonderful time on the North Yorkshire Moors.

We often visit Whitby then pop along to see Heartbeat village(Goathland) on the way to Pickering and Malton.

Helmsley is also a lovely place to visit.

Graham.

Thank you Graham. We used to go to Goathland before 'Heartbeat' made it a tourist trap - first went up there in about 1974 when my brother lived in Stokesley. Hutton le Hole is lovely out of season and, for a tourist area, the village pub does pretty good food.

We stayed in Helmsley at Christmas, having stayed there many times before; lovely little town.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Annie.

Liverpool next week.

Graham.

If you go to Liverpool I can recommend going to see the 'Iron Men' by Anthony Gormley on Crosby Beach and possibly the red squirrel nature reserve at Formby though there's no guarantee of seeing them! Liverpool around the Albert Dock area is great too.Have a lovely time and more photos please!

• Thanks 1