P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We have arrived in wild and windy North Devon. Went for a walk and nearly got blown away.
View from our balcony
IMG_3424.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a fabulous view,we could sit hours looking at the sea.

Sorry to hear you had a frustrating drive down the motorway to get there.

I hope you both have a fantastic holiday and some good weather.

Graham.

• Like 6

What a fabulous view,we could sit hours looking at the sea.
Sorry to hear you had a frustrating drive down the motorway to get there.
I hope you both have a fantastic holiday and some good weather.
Graham.

Thank you, son in law just said it feels like being on a cruise looking straight out to see from a balcony.
Road conditions were better than expected but at one point it took us an hour to travel 1 mile, but we’re here now [emoji4]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Radio Luxembourg, early transistor radios, 1960s, adverts, and one James Savile as a DJ.

I think that about sums it up. There were ear worms such as the Horace Bachelor ads that never left you. Rather like the Shake n Vac ads!

No Radio 1 or commercial radio then, no pirates even. The wonderful Radios Caroline and London - and a few others.

I remember Radio Caroline very well. Tony Blackburn, Johnnie Walker, Emperor Roscoe and the great D.L.T. Before that I'd listen to Radio Luxembourg  with Noel Edmonds and I think Tony Prince who, if I remember correctly, went on to  Radio Caroline?

Avril

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you, son in law just said it feels like being on a cruise looking straight out to see from a balcony.
Road conditions were better than expected but at one point it took us an hour to travel 1 mile, but we’re here now emoji4.png

He is right,that's how we feel when looking out at sea at our local beach most days.

I'm pleased the road conditions were not to bad for you,and you can all relax now and enjoy the fabulous sea view and your holiday.

Graham.

32 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We have arrived in wild and windy North Devon. Went for a walk and nearly got blown away.
View from our balcony
IMG_3424.JPG

That's very dramatic. It might make me sea sick!

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Radio Luxembourg, early transistor radios, 1960s, adverts, and one James Savile as a DJ.

I think that about sums it up. There were ear worms such as the Horace Bachelor ads that never left you. Rather like the Shake n Vac ads!

No Radio 1 or commercial radio then, no pirates even. The wonderful Radios Caroline and London - and a few others.

I seem to remember that the music was sponsored by the record labels  I think Parlophone, which became EMI sponsored the 10:00-10:30pm slot, then Decca (D E C C A), sponsored 10:30-11:00. These were the prime time slots, then at 11:00 it was the turn of Phillip's and Pye, which were the smaller fry labels. But of course the signal was variable, as a result it faded in out quite frequently.

It certainly brings back loads of memories.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

View from our balcony
IMG_3424.JPG

It looks as though will see some amazing sunsets Sarah judging by that picture. Have a lovely holiday.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I seem to remember that the music was sponsored by the record labels  I think Parlophone, which became EMI sponsored the 10:00-10:30pm slot, then Decca (D E C C A), sponsored 10:30-11:00. These were the prime time slots, then at 11:00 it was the turn of Phillip's and Pye, which were the smaller fry labels. But of course the signal was variable, as a result it faded in out quite frequently.

It certainly brings back loads of memories.

Wow, your memory is better than mine John. I thought I did well remembering the DJs.😊

Avril

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Wow, your memory is better than mine John. I thought I did well remembering the DJs.😊

Avril

I guess because I was a fella I was never very interested in the DJs. It was the music that interested me, and the immediacy of it, the Beeb at that time only had the David Jacob's chart show which played the latest releases, family favourites by the early 60s did play pop music, but very few of the current chart hits.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I guess because I was a fella I was never very interested in the DJs. It was the music that interested me, and the immediacy of it, the Beeb at that time only had the David Jacob's chart show which played the latest releases, family favourites by the early 60s did play pop music, but very few of the current chart hits.

It wasn't the DJs specifically, It was their catchy signature intros I remember mainly. I used to listen to the top twenty every sunday on Luxembourg, or to what dad would call 'that racket' He'd no musical taste😁

Avril

• Haha 1

It looks as though will see some amazing sunsets Sarah judging by that picture. Have a lovely holiday.
Avril

Thank you. My photos are a bit blurry as it’s too windy to hold the camera still [emoji23]

• Like 2

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Hello folks from rainy Devon! It was a long and rainy journey but we are safely here in Lynton. The house is lovely and I hope the weather cheers up so I can get some gorgeous photos. Here is our view from the lounge 

AA0A4E3D-57D0-4EC1-B2C2-7079C1551124.jpeg

Lovely view.  Hope you enjoy your visit down here and hope the weather improves but don't hold your breath!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It wasn't the DJs specifically, It was their catchy signature intros I remember mainly. I used to listen to the top twenty every sunday on Luxembourg, or to what dad would call 'that racket' He'd no musical taste😁

Avril

I used to listen to Radio Luxembourg every night but the reception was always a bit iffy.

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I used to listen to Radio Luxembourg every night but the reception was always a bit iffy.

It was, and  I used to have to keep tuning it in. It was worth it to listen to some 'real' music. Good memories Graham.

Avril

6 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

It was, and  I used to have to keep tuning it in. It was worth it to listen to some 'real' music. Good memories Graham.

Avril

So did you switch to the pirates when they came on the scene, Avril?  You had Caroline North, I think? 

We were in Suffolk at the time and it was a thing to go to the coast just to see the pirate ships broadcasting Caroline and London.  Music was finally liberated!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Lol.

I have lost 2 stone and I'm now at my target of 

12 stone 12lb.

I cut out all the saturated fat meats,sugar sweets and chocolates and today  had chicken in a half of a stottie but I threw half of it out to the seagull's.

Just joking Graham.Here's me with my diet pizza back in August.No seagulls got any of it,cheers,Brian.IMG_2868.jpg.edd3eabbd8f653f754e5f6053fd40bee.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I remember Radio Caroline very well. Tony Blackburn, Johnnie Walker, Emperor Roscoe and the great D.L.T. Before that I'd listen to Radio Luxembourg  with Noel Edmonds and I think Tony Prince who, if I remember correctly, went on to  Radio Caroline?

Avril

Ditto - used to listen to that and Radio London - one of them had the Kenny and Cash show, but can't remember which one (Kenny Everett and Dave Cash). When the Wilson government blocked the signal in (I think) 1967, I went on my first and last demonstration - back then there were no gates and you could get onto Downing Street, so we all wandered up there, shouted "Wilson out" several times, and all went home for tea, having put the fear of God into them.🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Ditto - used to listen to that and Radio London - one of them had the Kenny and Cash show, but can't remember which one (Kenny Everett and Dave Cash). When the Wilson government blocked the signal in (I think) 1967, I went on my first and last demonstration - back then there were no gates and you could get onto Downing Street, so we all wandered up there, shouted "Wilson out" several times, and all went home for tea, having put the fear of God into them.🤣

Sad times when that happened - and Radio 1 never really replaced the radio anarchy of the pirates.  Caroline went on for a while, but with a lot of difficulty.  They changed the music scene forever though, and all credit to them for that.

Late 60s was a good time for demos, wasn't it.  Students had a real passion.  Good to see some of that returning again.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sad times when that happened - and Radio 1 never really replaced the radio anarchy of the pirates.  Caroline went on for a while, but with a lot of difficulty.  They changed the music scene forever though, and all credit to them for that.

Late 60s was a good time for demos, wasn't it.  Students had a real passion.  Good to see some of that returning again.

It was the most traumatic time of my early teenage years. As I was 13 or 14 at the time, I cannot imagine where I told my parents I was going...

Sadly, my teenage altruism hadn't yet extended to the problems of others and was solely confined to my own suffering, so the Vietnam demos were simply something my Father tutted at when they came on the news.😈

8 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Same for me, me and my little tranny under the bedclothes. i also had a huge valve receiver that had short wave and long wave, lots of retuning needed 🙂 My gran bought me a new tranny for my 16th birthday, a Dansette Medway, with 7? transistors and it still works 53 years later, the FM aerial is broken though, must try and get it fixed.

funny thing is I ended up living in Medway despite being born and raised hundreds of miles away, perhaps my gran knew something 😱

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

So it's from your neck of the woods? I didn't think I'd seen it in our local Greggs. I hope Andy does get in touch. He's not normally a hit and miss poster so this is unlike him.

Avril

Sorry, just been a bit busy with work, difficult times. 

Just starting to feel the effects from lockdown really and having to plan for whatever is likely to happen next. 

Tough decisions that affects others does not sit comfortably with me, so not really been my usual positive self. 

We are fine though, thank you Avril and Graham for your thoughts. 

Andy & Michelle xx

• Like 13

28 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Same for me, me and my little tranny under the bedclothes. i also had a huge valve receiver that had short wave and long wave, lots of retuning needed 🙂 My gran bought me a new tranny for my 16th birthday, a Dansette Medway, with 7? transistors and it still works 53 years later, the FM aerial is broken though, must try and get it fixed.

funny thing is I ended up living in Medway despite being born and raised hundreds of miles away, perhaps my gran knew something 😱

Did this make anybody else burst out laughing😂😂😂

Andy 

• Like 2