P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

19 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Ah Sarah, you're a young 'un 😉.  Some of us on here go back to Spangles, Opal fruits and Fry's 5 Boys chocolate bars 😁

OH just reminded me about the chewing gum machines that used to be around.  I had forgotten that every 4th turn gave you a bonus pack.  We used to look to see if the arrow on the knob was pointing upwards to indicate that we would get 2 packets for the price of one.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Texco seem to have different things in different stores, we have a regular Tesco about 1 mile away and a Tesco Extra about 2 miles away and there are certain things that I buy in each of them that are not available in the other.

I've got a bit confused, not unusual. Tresco, Tesco, Texco. How many Scilly isles are there ?.We're going to St Ives on Friday. We  may see that bloke with all the wives.

• Like 2

I got amaretti biscuits in Sainsburys last week! I’m going to make the truffle, but my way. 
Triffle sponges halved & filled with lemon curd & possibly my neighbours marmalade, splash of amaretto over, tin of mandarins & a lemon jelly from cubes. Layer of birds custard from powder & a layer of whipped double cream. Chuck some bits of amaretti biscuits & flaked almond over & maybe some white chocolate curls. Simple. Then I’ll eat the rest of the amaretti biscuits no sharing! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Also Fruit Salad.

Sherbert fountains were another of those nostalgic sweets.

Flying saucers too, and the big pink bubble gum that blew huge bubbles would often get stuck on your face or in your hair.

Avril

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

You can still buy them,  I keep them in our freezer for my niece's children when they visit.  They are much smaller than I remember them.

20220601_094541.jpg

Yes, they're much smaller, but then everything is now, Mars Bars, Wagon Wheels etc. A sign of the times.

Avril

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

Ah Sarah, you're a young 'un 😉.  Some of us on here go back to Spangles, Opal fruits and Fry's 5 Boys chocolate bars 😁

☺️ I'm old enough to remember Spangles and Opal Fruits, and Marathons before they became Snickers. I don't recall the Fry's chocolate bars although I still buy Fry's Turkish Delight.

I used to spend my pocket money on the penny sweets in the big jars, cola cubes and aniseed twists.

This is not doing my post cruise diet much good 😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

My favourite was a Milk Tray chocolate bar.

I liked the bazooka bubblegum and pineapple chunks boiled sweets.

13°C and sunny now but it was raining heavily about an hour ago.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

Just now, grapau27 said:

My favourite was a Milk Tray chocolate bar.

13°C and sunny now but it was raining heavily about an hour ago.

Graham.

I remember those too. My favourite was Fry's Five Centre bar, dark chocolate with 5 different flavoured cream centres.

Avril

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

☺️ I'm old enough to remember Spangles and Opal Fruits, and Marathons before they became Snickers. I don't recall the Fry's chocolate bars although I still buy Fry's Turkish Delight.

I used to spend my pocket money on the penny sweets in the big jars, cola cubes and aniseed twists.

This is not doing my post cruise diet much good 😁

Me too. Remember them all well.

I actually bought some Fry’s chocolate creams a few weeks ago from our local Nisa supermarket who had it on promotion. Still as sickly sweet as ever, but I ate it all!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Me too. Remember them all well.

I actually bought some Fry’s chocolate creams a few weeks ago from our local Nisa supermarket who had it on promotion. Still as sickly sweet as ever, but I ate it all!

You can still buy the white cream and the peppermint one, but the five flavour bar has gone😒

Which now I come to think about it, is probably better for my health and weight😁

Avril

• Like 7

It's 34c here at the mo.We're hosting a jubillee party for 9 expats in our front garden tomorrow.Last minute things to get are stincos on offer in a store called Conads,lol.Just pork shanks which we will shred with a bbq sauce.Got all the flags and Queen bunting to put round our fence.The locals are gonna love us mad Inglese.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Flying saucers too, and the big pink bubble gum that blew huge bubbles would often get stuck on your face or in your hair.

Avril

I still love flying saucers

Michelle

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

It's 34c here at the mo.We're hosting a jubillee party for 9 expats in our front garden tomorrow.Last minute things to get are stincos on offer in a store called Conads,lol.Just pork shanks which we will shred with a bbq sauce.Got all the flags and Queen bunting to put round our fence.The locals are gonna love us mad Inglese.

Sounds lovely Brian. It is definitely not 34 degrees here, 17 if your lucky I guess. 
Have a lovely day tomorrow 

Michelle

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Sounds lovely Brian. It is definitely not 34 degrees here, 17 if your lucky I guess. 
Have a lovely day tomorrow 

Michelle

It's only about 14 down here, and forecast to get to the heady heights of 15oC!

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

They'll probably join in the festivities bro, and descend on you with plates of food.

Have a great time.

Sis

Edited by Adawn47
oops
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

You can still buy the white cream and the peppermint one, but the five flavour bar has gone😒

Which now I come to think about it, is probably better for my health and weight😁

Avril

They still have Raspberry and strawberry frys bars Avril. The strawberry ones are a bit sickly thought.

This is like 'all our yesterdays' ---

I loved Sherbet Dib Dabs and Palma violet sweets ------ and dare I say it ...... chocolate cigarettes !

(They were either made of chocolate or were chewy and white and we used to buy them and pretend we were smoking!) Imagine that now? Ironically, none of my friends who bought them with me has ever smoked ...

Can you remember when the Pop Man came round in his van --- my favourite was Cream Soda and Dandelion and Burdock. I wasn't allowed to have vodka with them in those days ;-0

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I loved Sherbet Dib Dabs and Palma violet sweets ------ and dare I say it ...... chocolate cigarettes !

(They were either made of chocolate or were chewy and white and we used to buy them and pretend we were smoking!) Imagine that now? Ironically, none of my friends who bought them with me has ever smoked ...

Can you remember when the Pop Man came round in his van --- my favourite was Cream Soda and Dandelion and Burdock. I wasn't allowed to have vodka with them in those days ;-0

I remember Palma violets - and never did like them and still don't! I don't rmember chocolate cigarettes, but remember the white ones and we too pretended to smoke, but it is something that I have never done in real life! 

Growing up cream soda was often added to a tall glass of ice cream so it all fizzed up and became ice cream soda. 

Does anyone remember milk bottles, milk teeth, shrimps and bananas as well as candy necklaces?

• Like 2

Just now, purplesea said:

I remember Palma violets - and never did like them and still don't! I don't rmember chocolate cigarettes, but remember the white ones and we too pretended to smoke, but it is something that I have never done in real life! 

Growing up cream soda was often added to a tall glass of ice cream so it all fizzed up and became ice cream soda. 

Does anyone remember milk bottles, milk teeth, shrimps and bananas as well as candy necklaces?

Remember all apart from the shrimps !!

57 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I remember the pop man coming round.

I could just drink a glass of dandelion & burdock right now 

Michelle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

I do remember the pop deliveries. I do remember it was called Corona.🤣

• Like 2