P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Yes the are from Michelin, it is good perk for being a Michelin pensioner.  I think that it is a dying perk, you only get it if you are a current employee or had a qualifying number of years service when you retired but younger people don't tend to stay at one company now.  It is the same with pensions, we used to have a final salary pension scheme which for people like me is great but they changed that to a money purchase scheme just after I retired and that is not as good as the final salary scheme where we get annual rises in January in line with interest rates.

I sometimes think that we were the lucky generation.

I was on a final salary pension scheme but was bumped off it a few years ago (like lots of people including my wife) and it has made a huge difference to any retirement plans we had. Glad you got it though and we don’t begrudge anyone from our organisations who got what we won’t.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Well, for those of you who have been following my numerous rants concerning my anxieties regarding the inability to book select dining venues and the Retreat for our cruise in January, I wanted to post to let you know that we have had a response from Carnival Senior Guest services and ..... I have to say, my jaw is still on the floor as it was not what we were expecting - not just excuses and waffle but really helpful and reassuring. 

Really impressed and it has really gone some way to restore our faith in PANDO.

Thanks to everyone on here who helped us with the contact address.

I also got a similar call this week and we now consider the matter of all our issues that we had on our Arvia cruise closed. The lady I spoke to was lovely and a credit to the company.

My thanks as well for the contact information provided.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I had lunch with my sisters, (sorry no food pictures), baby sister has just come back from a cruise on Iona and was telling us how much they enjoyed it but was annoyed that the app allowed passengers to book more than one venue for the same time.  They shared a table at dinner one night with a lady who took great pleasure in telling everyone else that she booked several things for the same time so that she had a choice of which one she felt like going to when the the time came around and she said that she didn't bother to cancel the ones that she didn't go to.

Maybe this explains the “fully booked” but empty tables scenario that’s often been reported (at least until the 15 minute period after being paged lapses)?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I will not be happy if dress codes are not adhered to, especially in MDR and Crows Nest. I want a relaxing cruise but won't stand any nonsense !

I’m neutral on whether there should be a dress code or not but if there is one then I think it should be observed (which it clearly wasn’t on our cruise).

• Like 8

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Firstly... You know the rules Josy, no pics, it didn't happen😂

Secondly, how selfish of the passenger booking multiple venues, but I thought the app didn't allow that? I thought if you tried to book a second venue, it automatically cancelled your original booking? 

Andy 

My sister said that the lady was boasting about it.  She also said that if you couldn't book seats in the theatre because they were all booked up you could go to the theatre 10 minutes before the start of the show and if people hadn't turned up you could take the empty seats so I suspect that P&O knew that some people were double booking.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I also got a similar call this week and we now consider the matter of all our issues that we had on our Arvia cruise closed. The lady I spoke to was lovely and a credit to the company.

It is encouraging as it appeared that they do want to listen and learn. Impressed 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I was on a final salary pension scheme but was bumped off it a few years ago (like lots of people including my wife) and it has made a huge difference to any retirement plans we had. Glad you got it though and we don’t begrudge anyone from our organisations who got what we won’t.

I think that a lot of people are in the same situation as you and your wife unfortunately.  Most younger people are like you and have had to change their retirement plans.  We have all worked and contributed to our pension plans expecting to have a comfortable retirement and I feel that a large number of people have been cheated with the closure of final pension schemes.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Well, for those of you who have been following my numerous rants concerning my anxieties regarding the inability to book select dining venues and the Retreat for our cruise in January, I wanted to post to let you know that we have had a response from Carnival Senior Guest services and ..... I have to say, my jaw is still on the floor as it was not what we were expecting - not just excuses and waffle but really helpful and reassuring. 

Really impressed and it has really gone some way to restore our faith in PANDO.

Thanks to everyone on here who helped us with the contact address.

Good to hear.  Don't tell me, they reserved everything for you in advance!

My faith is a very long way from restored - I've had 6 yes I repeat 6 emails today reminding me my balance is due.  The problem with that is it's reminding me of s balance payment on my cancelled Arvia cruise in December.

51 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I think that a lot of people are in the same situation as you and your wife unfortunately.  Most younger people are like you and have had to change their retirement plans.  We have all worked and contributed to our pension plans expecting to have a comfortable retirement and I feel that a large number of people have been cheated with the closure of final pension schemes.

I did a quick calculation a number  of years ago and calculated that I had already had well over twice as much pension as I had made in total contributions. By now I must have had well over 3 times my contributions in pensionable pay. 

We certainly are the golden generation, when it comes to gold standard pensions.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 6

Thank you all for the warm welcome back.  This has always been a very friendly place

There is no real news from my part of the world.  It is a bit damp and drizzly, to pay us back for the recent stunning weather.  OH is doing a stint at the museum this morning (tour guide, not exhibit!) so the dog and I will chose when we walk to hopefully miss any further rain

Sporty Saturday on the tv, plus local junior teams.  I suspect one of those will provide our afternoon entertainment 

Strictly starts tonight?  I watched a couple of seasons, way way back, and quite enjoyed it but it’s been going so long now.  Perhaps I have a low boredom threshold but it all seems a bit “same old, same old”.  Anyway - for those who do like it - Enjoy! 💃 

• Like 12

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I did a quick calculation a number  of years ago and calculated that I had already had well over twice as much pension as I had made in total contributions. By now I must have had well over 3 times my contributions in pensionable pay. 

We certainly are the golden generation, when it comes to gold standard pensions.

Do your figures take into account the effects of inflation, rise in the cost of living and other economic factors?

It is not too long ago for me to remember the financial struggles we endured buying a house and raising a family with the help of overdraft and maxed out credit cards. We both had good jobs but no foreign holidays, driving an old car because it was all we could afford, rarely eating out or having takeaways, taxes and mortgage rates higher etc. Of course, in those days pension contributions were seen only as another draw on limited finances.

I do feel sorry for younger people these days who are struggling financially but their expectations of what they ‘need or want’ are much higher than ours ever were. Mind you, phones, expensive satellite TV, computers and the internet along with other items that are now considered by many to be necessities, either didn’t exist or were items only the well off people had. 

Incidentally, although the works pension (on which tax is paid) and state pensions we receive ensure we have a reasonable standard of living, the extras we enjoy (such as cruises and our static caravan) are financed by earnings through part time work on which tax is paid, not ‘handouts’.

• Like 5

Morning everyone, it’s a nice morning here, sunshine is coming through. Hubby is out weeding the garden already. 

Don’t think we are doing anything today except the usual household type jobs that need doing.

Have a good weekend everyone 

Michelle 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Incidentally, although the works pension (on which tax is paid) and state pensions we receive ensure we have a reasonable standard of living, the extras we enjoy (such as cruises and our static caravan) are financed by earnings through part time work on which tax is paid, not ‘handouts’.

My OH had a client meeting last week about increasing his fee and the client asked him for a clause in the new contract that he will be available until he's 75, another nine years.  Interestingly several of the clients are asking for commitment until 70 and beyond. Unfortunately retirement is a long way off for him and many of our friends who worked in the same industry.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Phil.

I was told I would have an injection and not a general anaesthetic which I was worried about with taking heart medication.

Please let me know how you get on and I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

I haven't had an hip op, but my sister has had both knees done with an injection and said it was much better, and she thought safer at her age of 79, than a general anaesthetic. They allowed her to bring some music to listen to using headphones too. Your hospital might do the same.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
added text
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Good to hear.  Don't tell me, they reserved everything for you in advance!

My faith is a very long way from restored - I've had 6 yes I repeat 6 emails today reminding me my balance is due.  The problem with that is it's reminding me of s balance payment on my cancelled Arvia cruise in December.

No they haven't - just to confirm that the dining options will be available to book on line 14 days before and that she is going to sort out the Retreat issue for us re not being able to book. And an apology re the issues we had in May. Am speaking to her on Monday.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I haven't had an hip op, but my sister has had both knees done with an injection and said it was much better, and she thought safer at her age of 79, than a general anaesthetic. They allowed her to bring some music to listen to using headphones too. Your hospital might do the same.

Avril

Bit of late night sax might do the job Avril😉

• Haha 6

Slightly chilly here today but dry.

Not walking our dog today giving her a rest.  She was at the vet again yesterday she had three injections! And now has had an increase in the water tablets and an extra heart tablet to take, back again on Thursday.

I asked my husband how much it cost then quickly said I don't want to know😂😂 .....She's worth it😊

• Like 6