P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

16 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We never get trick or treaters, partly due to the steep steeps to the front door which seems to put them off along with the Jehovah’s Witnesses and some other cold callers. 

Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate Halloween. Apparently they don't like random folk knocking on their doors! 

• Haha 14

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

We never get trick or treaters, partly due to the steep steeps to the front door which seems to put them off along with the Jehovah’s Witnesses and some other cold callers. 

We have 2 bags of celebrations ' just in case '. When DW goes upstairs to watch her soaps ,the lights will go off and I will pretend there is nobody home.........Did any trick or treaters knock?..... no dear.....what shall we do with all those chocolates?.....🤣🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Haha 14

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I don’t know if it’s a general etiquette nowadays for trick and treaters but round here for the last few years they should only go to houses that have some Halloween decoration such as a carved pumpkin. Some people go to great lengths to decorate and ‘celebrate’ but it’s a non event as far as we’re concerned. When our children were young we did a token carved pumpkin, when I was young I remember doing bobbing apples, apples tied on string hanging from a door frame to try and eat and a toffee apple (everything seemed to revolve around apples 🍏)

Whether you participate in Halloween or not have a good day.😊

I remember that last year my school teacher niece told me that their school had instructed their children to only knock at doors where there was a pumpkin outside.  She hasn't said anything about it this year.

I have just been out for a walk and I have only seen 1 house with a very small pumpkin next to the gate so I don't expect to see many trick and treaters around our area to night.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

It looks horrendous for Thursday.  Here at the Harbour Office, we are moving boats to more sheltered moorings.  It's a force 11 from the West on Thursday and the residual swell will last long after that.  Enjoy!

We booked a sea view room at Bournemouth on Wednesday and Thursday. Coffee on the balcony should be interesting.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

@zap99 if you see anyone flying past your window it’ll be my son still out looking for his MacBook charger he left in the library last week! 😅

The forecast doesn't look good. DW said ' make sure there is an umbrella in the car '.....yeah..right🤣

• Haha 5

Love dealing with SWR trains NOT!  Travelling into London tomorrow to sign some documents and go to Stamford Bridge for the Chelsea game in the evening.  I'd bought train tickets last week for the 1.20pm train in but thought in light of the weather forecast should upgrade them to earlier ones.  A very miserable man looks at them, where's the second railcard? Not here my husband is at work.  Well I shouldn't do it without two cards ... cue the senior staff member I've known for years, no it's fine I know her.  Lots of mumbling... I need another £19.80. I smile nicely, thank you. More mumbling. A stapler produced and another ticket stapled to the ones I'd given him.  These won't go through the machine now, hmm yes I'd rather gathered that.  What's the earliest train I can get with his new ticket? 9.50 but I don't know why your bothering! Pardon, what do you mean please?  Well there won't be any trains tomorrow or Thursday! Is that a fact, if so why have you just taken my money?  No it's not an actual fact, it's just bloody obvious isn't it?

Interesting customer relations there and on the very day his job was presumably saved as well.  Perhaps he'd been planning a cruise with his redundancy!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Love dealing with SWR trains NOT!  Travelling into London tomorrow to sign some documents and go to Stamford Bridge for the Chelsea game in the evening.  I'd bought train tickets last week for the 1.20pm train in but thought in light of the weather forecast should upgrade them to earlier ones.  A very miserable man looks at them, where's the second railcard? Not here my husband is at work.  Well I shouldn't do it without two cards ... cue the senior staff member I've known for years, no it's fine I know her.  Lots of mumbling... I need another £19.80. I smile nicely, thank you. More mumbling. A stapler produced and another ticket stapled to the ones I'd given him.  These won't go through the machine now, hmm yes I'd rather gathered that.  What's the earliest train I can get with his new ticket? 9.50 but I don't know why your bothering! Pardon, what do you mean please?  Well there won't be any trains tomorrow or Thursday! Is that a fact, if so why have you just taken my money?  No it's not an actual fact, it's just bloody obvious isn't it?

Interesting customer relations there and on the very day his job was presumably saved as well.  Perhaps he'd been planning a cruise with his redundancy!

That MBear2, is the perfect example of todays customer relations and bad manners. All my working life has been in customer relations, and would never dream of speaking to a customer in that manner no matter what.😲

I despair, I really do😒

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

This is what my dear god-daughter has just sent to me.60adb108988af633084f56ed0fed865fa10c974145eedf2ff793806feacf8242_1.thumb.jpg.4c2ced7184ae6c1187a9849a4f6b168b.jpg

Hi Josy,SW ready meals 3 for a tenner in Iceland plus old codgers 10% on Tuesdays.Got spag carbonara,spag meatballs and paella all normally 4 quid plus.Had all these before and are tasty.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That MBear2, is the perfect example of todays customer relations and bad manners. All my working life has been in customer relations, and would never dream of speaking to a customer in that manner no matter what.😲

I despair, I really do😒

Avril

Totally agree but I have just come off the phone with a wonderful young man at P&O, who was the complete opposite of MB’s experience.  I booked a cruise for Aug 25 on Iona for us and our son, daughter in law and grandson in an adjoining cabins.   He was a credit to P&O.  Such a rarity these days.

First time cruising with family so could be interesting!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I feel your pain. In May I went into Penzance ticket office to buy tickets to Southampton for the 13th May just after the dates for the strikes had been announced (for the 12th and 13th) and asked if GWR would be affected by the strikes and was told "No you will be fine to travel." 

I ended up paying my daughter for petrol and a hotel as she drove us up, as we couldn't get up any other way.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hi Josy,SW ready meals 3 for a tenner in Iceland plus old codgers 10% on Tuesdays.Got spag carbonara,spag meatballs and paella all normally 4 quid plus.Had all these before and are tasty.

Thanks for the info, our group leader told us about this last week.  It sounds like a good deal but for health reasons I prefer to make most of our meals from scratch  that way I am sure that there is no salt and very litle fat and no preservatives.

We are having chicken curry tonight, the chicken has been marinating in a mix of various spices all day.

We do go out once a week for lunch and indulge in "unhealthy" fried foods. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Holcha said:

Totally agree but I have just come off the phone with a wonderful young man at P&O, who was the complete opposite of MB’s experience.  I booked a cruise for Aug 25 on Iona for us and our son, daughter in law and grandson in an adjoining cabins.   He was a credit to P&O.  Such a rarity these days.

First time cruising with family so could be interesting!

When I began in customer relations the rude and obnoxious people I came into contact with were very rare, so much so that they were a talking point in the staff room. As I came towards retirement age the reverse was true, not only were they rude but some could be quite  threatening too. I'm not saying they are all the same, I've dealt with some lovely people recently too, just not as many as I used to.

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, DamianG said:

Last day in Wales, poured down again early but we got some nice sunshine for our trip to the beach at Fairbourne. Teddy loved it. 

D59C7189-1B91-4C56-A720-9D7F0569E5DC.jpeg

What is Teddy, a labradoodle or cockapoo?  He looks very much like my Son and DIL's labradoodle Theo, altho Theo is darker, but totally adorable.

• Like 3